Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
New to me K5 with spot on sensor. Detectives needed!

Recently purchased a new to me K5, barely used maybe less than 200 shots on it. Everything was good till I decided to shoot with high f-stops to see if the sensor was dirty. Had some dirt on it but nothing crazy, nonetheless I gave it a wet cleaning. That took everything off except for this one annoying spot. I know that the K5s were notorious for sensor stains but I am not sure if that is what this is. Could just be a really stubborn spot, but I believe I have worked it enough to know its probably not coming off. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to send it in as a repair would probably cost close to what I paid for it. Thanks.

The spot is slightly off center to the right and down. It shows up at f11 and if you are trying hard to spot it can be seen at 5.6.
100%

02-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
I had once spot looking like that after camera did come from maintenance. I did use almoust one pack of eclipce swaps but finally spot was gone. Little grazy sounding story but true...
02-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,395
It looks like the famous spots:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/289036-pentax-k5.html
02-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,141
QuoteOriginally posted by apentacitis Quote
Recently purchased a new to me K5, barely used maybe less than 200 shots on it. Everything was good till I decided to shoot with high f-stops to see if the sensor was dirty. Had some dirt on it but nothing crazy, nonetheless I gave it a wet cleaning. That took everything off except for this one annoying spot. I know that the K5s were notorious for sensor stains but I am not sure if that is what this is. Could just be a really stubborn spot, but I believe I have worked it enough to know its probably not coming off. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to send it in as a repair would probably cost close to what I paid for it. Thanks.

The spot is slightly off center to the right and down. It shows up at f11 and if you are trying hard to spot it can be seen at 5.6.
100%
Unless I'm missing something, that's just a piece of dust and you should be able to blow it away with a rocket blower or remove it with a sensor cleaning kit.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,395
I thought the ring around the spot was characteristic of sensor stains...If that's not the case I will shut up
02-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Original Poster
Well, as of now I have tried the blower, which didn't do anything for that but it did remove stuff that was not stuck. I have tried numerous we cleanings, maybe around 6 or 7 over a 3 day span. The sensor is very clean other than that one spot. I was sure the sensor stain was more of a trail of spots but I may be wrong. Its honestly not noticeable in regular pictures with wide apertures so its not too bad but when you know its there it becomes annoying. Any other ideas would help, cleaning solutions (I use eclipse now), methods, whatever you guys can think of. Thanks again.
02-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
" I'm not certain" but the sensor stains of the early K5's were in fact in between the sensor and the AA/IR filter glass and were caused by the glue used to adhere the glass, the glue used would vaporise slightly when the sensor heated up after using live view for a period of time, this vapor would then condense into droplets trapped behind the glass as the sensor cooled. Not certain that's what's happening here, but if repeated cleanings do not eliminate the spot, it remains a possibility.
02-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
Usually a wet cleaning will take care of it (although I always end up with new spots from the cleaning, but the spots will at least be in new places). Dust is visible on the sensor (with your eyes) -- you should be able to see the speck on there if there is one while the mirror is up. If it is oil-based it can be tough to get rid of (and maybe less visible to the eye). It doesn't look like the infamous sensor stains though. What is the serial # on the camera?

02-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Original Poster
Serial Number is 3847****. I guess I will try a couple more times, the spot is visible when the mirror is up, I tend to think it is possibly dry oil and the methanol in eclipse just isn't cutting it. Thats just my guess I could be wrong but if someone more knowledgeable than me has an opinion I'd like to hear it, I'm open to anything because this hasn't budged.
02-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
Well, if you can see it on the surface, that's good, that means you can get rid of it. You might want to try one of the fluids from VisibleDust...
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
i did also think that it was some kind of oil, eclipse did not work well. But I did just wipe sensor like kitchen owen with swab over the stain, u know left right and repeat 50 times with one swap and little harder press than normal. no harm done, i was lucky maybe...
02-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,395
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, if you can see it on the surface, that's good, that means you can get rid of it. You might want to try one of the fluids from VisibleDust...
I had a spot on my K-X that was visible but impossible to remove. It was in some inner layer of the sensor.
Anyways, it does not look like a huge spot so I am sure you could live with it even if it cannot be removed.
02-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
i did also think that it was some kind of oil, eclipse did not work well. But I did just wipe sensor like kitchen owen with swab over the stain, u know left right and repeat 50 times with one swap and little harder press than normal. no harm done, i was lucky maybe...
Not sure what you mean by "kitchen owen".
02-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
QuoteOriginally posted by apentacitis Quote
Not sure what you mean by "kitchen owen".
oven sorry, i mean cleaning sensor that time was little same as cleaning dirty old kitchen oven cos it is in both cases needed to wipe and wipe so much to get dirty spots removed. I did try to say that just wipe and wipe so much with every swab until spot is gone...this advice can not be found in any official sensor cleaning instruction
02-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
oven sorry, i mean cleaning sensor that time was little same as cleaning dirty old kitchen oven cos it is in both cases needed to wipe and wipe so much to get dirty spots removed. I did try to say that just wipe and wipe so much with every swab until spot is gone...this advice can not be found in any official sensor cleaning instruction
Yeah ok thats what I thought you meant. I definitely tried to "work" the area, still remained the same. I don't think it has changed any since I started so I am starting to think it is either a defect, stain, or stubborn oil/pollen.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, sensor, spot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5, rear curtain sync flash in manual mode, advice on what flash to buy needed! 5R7 Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 4 03-25-2013 08:12 AM
New Sony Sensor with phase detection AF pixels on sensor! Docrwm Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 08-22-2012 04:28 AM
Advice needed on finding the right bag for K5 with two lenses Wolf666 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 31 04-05-2012 09:49 AM
One stubborn dust spot on the sensor GibbyTheMole Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 12-05-2011 09:45 AM
New K10D, bad spot on sensor?? tommy3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 02-21-2007 07:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top