Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My "New" K5 On the Way!

Hello,

I just had to post something here. I just bought a used K5 from "MightyMike" and am very excited to receive it soon. I have had a K100DS since it first came out, and love it, but have sometimes struggled with white balance and noise in low-light photos. Resolution of the K100DS (6MP) has never been an issue for me, so the additional resolution of the K5 may be somewhat wasted on me, but I do recognize that the higher resolution will give me more room for cropping. Another thing I really look forward to is the greater dynamic range of the K5 RAW images (I always shoot in RAW).

Since I mostly shoot with M42 and K-mount manual lenses, I also ordered an ee-S screen (with the simple grid) from Focusingscreen.

I'm happy to join the K5 "club."

-Joe-

02-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'm sure you'll have a great time with your "new" K-5!
02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Congrats It is exciting to get a new piece of equipment.
02-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
good onya mate enjoy

I predict bargains later this year, might see if I can pick up a K-3 at that time.

02-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You won't be disappointed. (I have two of them in fact!)
02-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

I think that you will like your new camera. I still have my K100 and it works well. The only reason why I have upgraded was low light and dynamic range. I have been shooting with the K5 the last 3 years and just went to the K5IIs for better AF, along with loosing the AA filter. I think that the K5 family (K5/II/IIs/K30/K50/K-01/K500) use of the Sony sensor made it a watershed product line. I am that happy with it.

Your colors will be different - not as saturated, you will have tremendous low light capability and your dynamic range will stun you. Having said all of that, you will still be able to pick out the K100 shots due to its color and saturation. It too is still a wonderful camera.

03-14-2015, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got it!

My "new" to me K5 arrived, and I've been spending time getting to know its operation. It fits in my hands just like the K100D Super did (basically the same size body), so it's quite comfortable. But WOW - the shutter is SUPER QUIET! Nice!

Of course, the high-ISO performance is stunning, and the increased dynamic range is very noticeable. Processing the RAW files is easy with all the same software I was using, and I find I have more latitude to work with. The handling is very convenient - this is going to be fun!

I spent some quality time today trying several lenses (ranging from the 18-55mm kit lens, to my old Takumars, and others in between). All work beautifully. The AF with AF lenses is blazing fast and seems accurate, and manual focusing with my newly-installed ee-S screen with O-ME53 viewfinder is a breeze. Here is one of my first test shots with my Vivitar-A 19mm f3.8 lens.

K-5, ISO200, Vivitar-A 19mm f3.8

I'm a happy camper!
-Joe-
03-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome, and I hope that you enjoy your K5 as much as I have enjoyed mine. I bought my used K5 in early 2013 and still have my original K100d Super also. The K5 was bought for iso, focus speed, and fps. The extra resolution has not been needed. In good light with still subjects, the K100d Super photos have continued to be superb. I hope to maintain both cameras for a very long time. Time now for me to start with the lens collection. Cheers! Glenn

03-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Glenn. This K-5 is really impressive, and I've had no problem adapting to the button and wheel layout. It's so nice in the hand, as are most Pentax cameras! The technical quality of the output is impressive. I'm afraid my K100DS will remain neglected for a while, but I'll eventually pull it back out.

Here is a snap from yesterday afternoon (had snow yesterday AM, and snow again this AM!). Come on Old-Man Winter, let it go!!!

K-5, ISO100, Vivitar-A 28mm f2.8 @ f4

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Welcome, and I hope that you enjoy your K5 as much as I have enjoyed mine. I bought my used K5 in early 2013 and still have my original K100d Super also. The K5 was bought for iso, focus speed, and fps. The extra resolution has not been needed. In good light with still subjects, the K100d Super photos have continued to be superb. I hope to maintain both cameras for a very long time. Time now for me to start with the lens collection. Cheers! Glenn
03-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice! I have enjoyed my K5 for a couple of years beyond description! Wonderful camera! You should have a very exciting future with the K5, it will broaden your abilities and your joy!

We have a big Squirrel Frenzy coming in late May or early June.....be sure to look for the "Squirrel Shooting" in the K5 menu and save your shots for the Frenzy!

Some from last years Big Frenzy here at PForums
https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/

Best Regards!
Rupert
03-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Thanks Glenn. This K-5 is really impressive, and I've had no problem adapting to the button and wheel layout. It's so nice in the hand, as are most Pentax cameras! The technical quality of the output is impressive. I'm afraid my K100DS will remain neglected for a while, but I'll eventually pull it back out.
Great to hear you like it! The K-5 really is a wonderful camera. I still think it has one of the best APS sensors ever made, and the controls are very well thought out.

QuoteQuote:
Here is a snap from yesterday afternoon (had snow yesterday AM, and snow again this AM!). Come on Old-Man Winter, let it go!!!
I know, time to let the spring take over! But nice image nevertheless