Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like your sense of composition and context in many of these shots; really nice use of the wider angles. That's very difficult to do in the pressure of the fleeting moment. Well done!

02-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Those are some great pj photos. On the whole, it shows great creativity, composition, and storytelling. The first overhead shot and that last museum shot are stand-out phenomenal.

I'm surprised at the (excellent) panoramas, because when I'm shooting an assignment I normally am expected to produce the shots within an hour of the event - not nearly enough time to open Photoshop!

What lenses are you using?
02-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #18

You managed to get some amazing shots... under some pretty difficult conditions. Great job!!!
02-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

Regarding my lenses I use three Tamron's:
  • Tamron 17-50mm - F2.8
  • Tamron 28-75mm - F2.8
  • Tamron 70-200mm - F2.8
My choice was mainly conditioned by the price.
I can comment on them later on but I have to think a little about it.

I clearly need and have been looking for something close to a 12-24mm
but having decide yet.

My Speedlight is a Metz 58 AF-2 and I'm happy about it - the only
thing I miss is direct control buttons to the light output amount.
In this model you have to go inside the menu to change this value.

Thx,
Vitor

02-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just wanted to thank you for the effort to make this thread. I own I K 50 so I can't help you in any way, but again thanks, it was very nice to read it!
02-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #21

Thanks for taking the time to write this entry! And your work is wonderful.
02-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It's my understanding that PJ work often involves a rush to get published. Do you use jpg or shoot raw and process everything?

I love the overall processing on these photos. That long marble hallway with everyone wearing dark suits - the white walls aren't blown out, none of the suits are too black, great example of dynamic range. If these are straight from the camera, can you share your default in-camera jpg settings?

How did you process the panoramas? Are you working with longer deadlines, do you send unprocessed photos to someone else to stitch, or do you carry a laptop and stitch on site?

02-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Excellent work. I like your composition. Like another poster had said, your pictures are not just blah shots, you have some really good shots and interesting. Nice to see a Pentax shooting this well along side with Canoikons.
02-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #24

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. I like pretty much all of them, great professional work. Cheers
02-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zelig Quote
...I desperately need cross type focusing points outside the central area. If the K3 had this I would have bought it. Probably 50% of my photos have the main subject outside the central area. What is going on around him, where he is or with whom he is its always extremely important. To be able to show it I have to move my main subject to the sides of the frame and I need focusing points there.
I like to choose the AF Point so I always shoot in the Focus Select mode. Once again the directional keys are not very practical or fast enough. With more than 11 AF Points something like a small joystick might make more sense....
I'm a hobbyist so working under less pressure than you, but for static or slow moving subjects I prefer to focus (using the back AF button) and recompose instead of manually changing the K-5 AF point. That's impractical for faster subjects but should work when subjects are standing and talking. Field curvature on some lenses might also be an issue.
02-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #26
Forum Member

Creio que sou o primeiro Portugues a enviar os meus cumprimentos neste post!
Transl: I belive I'm the first portuguese sending my best in this post!

I belive Pentax users in Portugal are just a few. lesser and lesser "...as time goes by...."
So my congrat's to my fellow contryman.

Do you know this fellow? spotmeter98
He's a little "diferent" but have great passion about Photography and he's a petaxian as well.

I supose You buy your gear online or on a store in Lisbon?

Nice photos, although your main subject.... needs $%&#"#$$#""#$% a troika in that place - were the sun don't shine.... lol

All the best!
02-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do everything well. I don't believe any Canikon Journalist could do better.
02-26-2015, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the k-3 has 25 cross type focusing points out of the 27 focusing points it has. Only the two side focus points are not cross type. The center 3 vertical focusing points are F2.8 while the rest are F5.6 I believe.

I hope Ricoh notices you as you have some fantastic work, some great comments, and some great suggestions!
02-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's my understanding that PJ work often involves a rush to get published. Do you use jpg or shoot raw and process everything?

I love the overall processing on these photos. That long marble hallway with everyone wearing dark suits - the white walls aren't blown out, none of the suits are too black, great example of dynamic range. If these are straight from the camera, can you share your default in-camera jpg settings?

How did you process the panoramas? Are you working with longer deadlines, do you send unprocessed photos to someone else to stitch, or do you carry a laptop and stitch on site?

I always shoot RAW and process everything.
If I need more time to process a photo I start by sending what I have ready and then send the rest.

I don't do panoramas on a daily basis.
Usually I first simply try to stitch the panoramas on Photoshop.
If that doesn't work on the first try and I really want to keep the photo I give it a try with PTGui.
In PTGui I use the Photoshop format with the 'Blended and Layers' option so that I can do minor
corrections afterwards if needed.
In PTGui I use automatic alignment but many times I simply have to give up on a panorama
because it will take to much time to do it well.

Thx

---------- Post added 02-26-15 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm a hobbyist so working under less pressure than you, but for static or slow moving subjects I prefer to focus (using the back AF button) and recompose instead of manually changing the K-5 AF point. That's impractical for faster subjects but should work when subjects are standing and talking. Field curvature on some lenses might also be an issue.
I also used to focus like that but then changed to Focus Select.

I've done it mainly because I was struggling with the K5 focusing system and I was trying to find
solutions. In the process I found out that Focus Select was giving me better focusing results
maybe because of field curvature.

Another interesting thing I've notice was that when you are shooting persons interacting with each other
and move the camera to focus and then recompose one on more persons are temporary away from
your field of view and you don't see what they are doing. When you finally recompose you might want to
change your main subject. By using Focus Select you constantly keep them in your field of view - this is
not entirely true because the K5II only has AF Points in the central area so I always have to slightly recompose.

As an extra note I might add that:
I only use the non-cross type AF Points on good light sources situations. On low light situation they tend to
be less reliable when focusing on dark suits, for example, so I avoid them.

In extreme low light situation I tend to use the central AF Point and then recompose technique more often
because this point is more sensitive to light.

Vitor
02-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A crítica é unânime! Parabéns Vitor, gostei e aprendi !!! Bravo.

Rui