Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it Otis who bought all those K5IIs ? Nobody knows... I did the jump in december...

03-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I just bought a K5IIs on Amazon...there are only a few left. After a week of stalling.....and visiting dozens of sites with K5IIs photos, viewing test results at DXO and other sites, I finally realized this might just be the best APS-C camera in the world...and at a price that is ridiculously low! The IQ compares or exceeds cameras over 5 times its price!

If you are going to go for one, better do it soon! They are becoming rare and the price is rising again....I'll let you know what I think of it next week after it arrives. Some squirrel shots with my Bigma should be good comparisons with my current K5 Original.

BTW- If you use an Amazon Card, you can get 6 months to pay with no interest! I like that! Mrs Rupert won't even know I bought it! I'll slip a few dollars from her accounts every week and she will never even notice!
Regards!
Yep. The K5 made me into a "pro" and the K3 sealed the deal.
The K5iis is almost a "retro" camera considering what has come since.
It's so nice to relax, take the grip off, and just use the K5iis as a simple "camera".

I don't care about the K5iis shortcomings, as those were fixed in the K3.
I never had issue with the IQ from the K5, and the K5iis is truly the last of a beautiful progression; it's a simple joy.

A "photographer's camera".

03-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Is it Otis who bought all those K5IIs ? Nobody knows... I did the jump in december...
I think we will soon see a huge price jump for the K5IIs when they get very hard to find. Otis says it will be no problem...he has over a hundred in his warehouse ready to ship! I wanted to buy from him but he wanted $1200. + shipping! That doesn't even sound right since they are warehoused in one of my storage buildings just a few feet away?

Regards!
03-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. The K5 made me into a "pro" and the K3 sealed the deal.
The K5iis is almost a "retro" camera considering what has come since.
It's so nice to relax, take the grip off, and just use the K5iis as a simple "camera".

I don't care about the K5iis shortcomings, as those were fixed in the K3.
I never had issue with the IQ from the K5, and the K5iis is truly the last of a beautiful progression; it's a simple joy.

A "photographer's camera".

Regarding relax shooting, I have a hand strap on my K-5 IIs - https://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DHS-101-Quick-Black/dp/B009SKPVN4/ref=sr_1...era+hand+strap, and it helps make the K-5 IIs my most comfortable camera. I can easily operate buttons and dials with just my right hand, which I can't do with my much lighter weight mirrorless cams. I was going to buy a battery grip, but the strap is much better IMO.

03-15-2015, 03:01 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis is smart
03-15-2015, 03:18 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well I purchased a new K-5IIs few months ago , love it, so am I ready for the future?
03-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Otis is smart
FS....Stop swelling his little furry head! He is already so egotistical that it is intolerable.

Regards!

I am looking forward to the K5IIs arriving next week...My K5 is wonderful, and if this one is even better I will be overjoyed!

Otis is already claiming that I won't be any better shooter with it than I am now and what I really need around here is a new shooter.......we all know Otis is seldom wrong!

03-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am looking forward to the K5IIs arriving next week...My K5 is wonderful, and if this one is even better I will be overjoyed!
Oh yes ! You will be overjoyed ! Better metering, better white balance, better AF and better better better sharpness !

Did I mention better sharpness ?
03-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh yes ! You will be overjoyed ! Better metering, better white balance, better AF and better better better sharpness !

Did I mention better sharpness ?
I almost didn't buy it, but after your appraisal, I am glad I did! We'll have to wait to see what Otis thinks...he's pretty picky!

Regards!
03-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well...I gotta admit it, I broke down.

With B&H selling the K5IIs for $496 I had to get one before they are gone.
Why, when I use the K3 professionally and already own some "decommissioned" K5 cameras?

The K5/K5IIs has a smoother and better IQ than the K3 along with 14bit dynamic range that only the K3 and 645z possess.
The pixel size and ISO performance make it so nice.
With the final upgrades to the K5 from the earlier versions, I just couldn't pass it up.

For straight-up photography, I think the K5IIs at 16megapixels may have been one of the best APS-C cameras ever made for photography.

Definitely a classic, and I am glad to finally own the last of the line.

14bit for $496 dollars. THAT is crazy.

A few days after I read this I decided to get one, too. I probably got one of the last ones and I love it. One of the reasons I didn't before was the lack of focus-peaking for manual-focus lenses - it is really a non-issue. The ability to enlarge the image up to 10x on the LCD in live-view works much better (for me) than focus-peaking anyway (I had focus-peaking on the K-50 I used to have). The camera is a classic and I am happy to own one. Anyway, thanks for your post!

Last edited by GearHead; 03-19-2015 at 03:42 PM.