Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Last chance for the K5IIs

Well...I gotta admit it, I broke down.

With B&H selling the K5IIs for $496 I had to get one before they are gone.
Why, when I use the K3 professionally and already own some "decommissioned" K5 cameras?

The K5/K5IIs has a smoother and better IQ than the K3 along with 14bit dynamic range that only the K3 and 645z possess.
The pixel size and ISO performance make it so nice.
With the final upgrades to the K5 from the earlier versions, I just couldn't pass it up.

For straight-up photography, I think the K5IIs at 16megapixels may have been one of the best APS-C cameras ever made for photography.

Definitely a classic, and I am glad to finally own the last of the line.

14bit for $496 dollars. THAT is crazy.

03-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same here! I have a K5II already, and bought a K5IIs before they are gone. K5II/IIs are very well balanced camera, I have to make sure I will have one available in the next a few years.
03-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I must admit that when I got my K5II I had no major plans for it. I just wanted the 18-135MM and 50mm lenses that came with and I figured I might just flip the camera and the 18-55 I had and get back most of my money, because it was all priced so low I could have done that and basically had the better lenses for free. But a few hours of using it convinced me to keep it. It's not as flashy as my K-30's but I like it anyway and it makes a lovely basic black body for work. I use the K5II plus one or the other K-30 usually when I am working. It's a real workhorse of a camera, no doubt about it. I haven't done the bling thing as yet. Too sick and too much going on here lately but I'm going to. The K5II is definitely a keeper and I figure I might as well add just a little bling and make it fit in with the rest of the cameras around here... :P
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
For straight-up photography, I think the K5IIs at 16megapixels may have been one of the best APS-C cameras ever made for photography.
Yeah, in many situations I prefer it to the K-3.

03-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #5

Well...I gotta admit it, I broke down.

With B&H selling the K5IIs for $496 I had to get one before they are gone.
Why, when I use the K3 professionally and already own some "decommissioned" K5 cameras?

The K5/K5IIs has a smoother and better IQ than the K3 along with 14bit dynamic range that only the K3 and 645z possess.
The pixel size and ISO performance make it so nice.
With the final upgrades to the K5 from the earlier versions, I just couldn't pass it up.

Definitely a classic, and I am glad to finally own the last of the line.

14bit for $496 dollars. THAT is crazy.
You're right on about smoothness - coming from a K-01, which produces really smooth IQ, I'm still amazed by what the K-5 IIs can do. It has a full frame look to it. Clean, sharp, with great dynamic range. The best APS-C camera ever!
03-05-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kakapo Quote
You're right on about smoothness - coming from a K-01, which produces really smooth IQ, I'm still amazed by what the K-5 IIs can do. It has a full frame look to it. Clean, sharp, with great dynamic range. The best APS-C camera ever!
Yep. I agree. The K5IIs may be the perfect photographer's camera.

Sure, I use my K3 cameras for work and they do everything I ask - and more - but the K5 series are probably the best IQ I have seen coming from a camera.
Maybe the 645D and Z are better, but I needed to get the last of the K5 line before it was too late.

I hope the FF when it comes keeps the pixel density down, and gives us that nice mix of resolution to IQ.

I really wanted to get a Ricoh GR in APS-C, but with a K5IIs under $500, you can't beat that. I really love 14bit and ISO of 80, -3ev focusing and of course interchangeable lenses.

I was thinking of the KS-2, but it's not 14bit and is not magnesium.
I like everything about the KS-2 on paper.
I can't wait to see how it stacks up.

Regardless, the K5IIs will be a Pentax classic for years and years.
03-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I sold my k10d and regretted it, there was something about that camera for landscape work, I traded 2 x k 5 bodies but kept my k5IIs as I am constantly surprised at the IQ of this body regardless of lens or lens brand.

I never went for a K3 as I could not see the benefit to my for the work I do plus I don't like some of the control layouts and the awful info menu when reviewing work, it was a software change that appeared on the k30 and has stuck ever since.

I have used Pentax bodies only for years but recently bought a Sony A7 for studio tethered use using Capture One, which only cost a couple of pounds for a full tethered raw processor that shows instant feed back on screen for clients and subjects.and I am very happy with that , if Pentax ever produce a camera which some one like capture one or lightroom recognises I might change back to all Pentax but I have my doubts.

03-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had to get one before they are gone.

I don't have it, but you raise many fine points. Thanks for the post. I've the K5 base model, but thinking to get a good used K5IIs some time down the road. The praises for the IIs just don't abate, though time and technology marches on.
03-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just sold my K-5 IIs because I like the IQ from my 12 bit K-S1 better
03-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I don't have it, but you raise many fine points. Thanks for the post. I've the K5 base model, but thinking to get a good used K5IIs some time down the road. The praises for the IIs just don't abate, though time and technology marches on.
I got my K5IIs today so I now have direct comparison.

I am so happy that I pulled the trigger and got a new K5IIs before it's too late.

It focuses faster and the IQ and detail are stellar over the K5 classic.
The K5IIs has *something* I can't put my finger on.
Normally I use a grip with the K7/K5/K3, but not with the K5IIs.
Just it and a limited, or one of my SMC-A lenses.

With a high quality lens, the K5IIs is amazing.
I understand why Ricoh has kept it around.
Definitely a classic.

I wonder if the folks that don't see much difference are using quality glass.
Who knows, but I am in love with the K5IIs.

I will not stop using my K3 cameras, but to slow down and relax, and work that ISO80 on that sensor is awesome.
03-12-2015, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like they've just been discontinued from B&H....
03-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Looks like they've just been discontinued from B&H....
Wow...it really *was* the last chance.
I hope they somehow get more for that price!

03-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow...it really *was* the last chance.
I hope they somehow get more for that price!

I saw them still in stock Tuesday night. They were gone yesterday morning when I checked. I have a K5, K-01 and a K-r but kept mulling over back and forth, coming close to diving on the K5IIs. When I asked my wife what she thought about the idea of another (but improved) K5, she told me "Up to you dear, I'm ok with it.....but I thought you were jumping to Full Frame?"....I held back on the IIs...
03-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From today...

K5iis with SMC-A 135mm f/2.8

03-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a K5IIs on Amazon...there are only a few left. After a week of stalling.....and visiting dozens of sites with K5IIs photos, viewing test results at DXO and other sites, I finally realized this might just be the best APS-C camera in the world...and at a price that is ridiculously low! The IQ compares or exceeds cameras over 5 times its price!

If you are going to go for one, better do it soon! They are becoming rare and the price is rising again....I'll let you know what I think of it next week after it arrives. Some squirrel shots with my Bigma should be good comparisons with my current K5 Original.

BTW- If you use an Amazon Card, you can get 6 months to pay with no interest! I like that! Mrs Rupert won't even know I bought it! I'll slip a few dollars from her accounts every week and she will never even notice!
Regards!