Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

difference between K5II and K5IIs

I recently was able to purchase a K5IIs to complement my k5II, at a fantastic sale price. I thought, other than increased resolution due to the lack of a moire filter, there were no differences between the two cameras. However, I did come across one that is small but significant for me: the K5II only goes down to 200 iso while the K5IIs goes down to 100 iso! This is a welcome addition for a landscape photographer like me, who often blurs water, clouds, etc., with very dense ND filters! Thought I might get lucky and get this feature in on my K5II by upgrading the firmware - was running version one on both cameras, but no such luck! Is my K5II defective or is this really a change/upgrade between the two cameras?

Also have a Pentax vs. Nikon FX story. I was on a landscape, group shoot in January in Alberta, Canada in minus15 degree weather. Many of the photographers had Nikon D800e's and D810's that froze up completely (until thawed back in heated rooms) - mostly the mirrors. I am happy to say, I was to be able to continue shooting with no stoppage, although my mirror did slow down somewhat!

Cheers, Peter S.

03-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Forum Member

Uh... I don't have either but I dont think that's right
03-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi! Both cameras have native ISO from 100 to 12 800, and expanded (enable it from the custom menu) from 80 to 51 200 -- but if you have Highlight Correction ON - then you are limited to the minimum of ISO 200, (native) or ISO 160 (with expanded enabled)

Other than the missing anti-alias filter the two cameras are the same.
03-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This should be a sticky if it isn't already. Camera Menu 3 on my K5IIs. Go to D-Range Setting and ensure Highlight Correction is off. You will then get your full ISO range.

03-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Hi! Both cameras have native ISO from 100 to 12 800, and expanded (enable it from the custom menu) from 80 to 51 200 -- but if you have Highlight Correction ON - then you are limited to the minimum of ISO 200, (native) or ISO 160 (with expanded enabled)

Ahh...many thanks for this information and yes, I do have highlight recovery on, just because it sounded good! (do not want to loose any images to blown highlights, if possible...)

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote

Many thanks for this correction!
03-07-2015, 12:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Also have a Pentax vs. Nikon FX story. I was on a landscape, group shoot in January in Alberta, Canada in minus15 degree weather. Many of the photographers had Nikon D800e's and D810's that froze up completely (until thawed back in heated rooms) - mostly the mirrors. I am happy to say, I was to be able to continue shooting with no stoppage, although my mirror did slow down somewhat!
The cold-weather National Geographic photographers tend to use Canon - perhaps this is a reason why!

Glad to hear the Pentax performed well. I'm not that surprised, actually.
03-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
About Canon in cold weather...

That might be true about Canon, since two photo tour people also had Canon 5DII and 5DIII's that worked flawlessly too, just like my K5II. In all fairness though, minus 15 Fahrenheit is way below the recommended and posted operating ranges for all DLR's.