Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New to me K-5IIs

My K-50 died this past week and has been sent in for warranty service so... I have a K-5IIs on the way. I'm anxious to get my hands on it and see what it will do. In the meantime I'll be watching this forum for tips and advice.

03-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats. You will love it. I had a k5II and upgraded to the k3. I love the k3 but there was something special about the K5II and I miss it every day.
03-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Indeed the K5IIs has a beautiful sensor, great dynamic range and gorgeous colors....
03-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got mine a couple of days ago......stand by to be amazed! It is a wonderful camera, easy to set up and use and produces great results.

It has fast and accurate AF.....even in very low light, great color and WB and is a joy to use. A few minutes spent on reading the manual is well worth the time....it has features you might otherwise miss.

I bought mine mostly to shoot Handsome Squirrels, but it will shoot anything! I usually leave my cameras set on TAV with the filter set on "Handsome Squirrels!"

Regards & Enjoy!

03-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just got mine a couple of days ago......stand by to be amazed! It is a wonderful camera, easy to set up and use and produces great results.

It has fast and accurate AF.....even in very low light, great color and WB and is a joy to use. A few minutes spent on reading the manual is well worth the time....it has features you might otherwise miss.

I bought mine mostly to shoot Handsome Squirrels, but it will shoot anything! I usually leave my cameras set on TAV with the filter set on "Handsome Squirrels!"

Regards & Enjoy!

on a K5ii I believe they're known as "twice as handsome" squirrels...
03-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My wife calls them "Killer Squirrels;" she's deathly afraid of them - almost as much as mice, rats and geckos.

I was just getting the hang of my K-50 and I almost bought a second K-50 body but decided to go the K-5 IIs route instead. I'm sure it will prove to be a wise choice.
03-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Might I ask how the K-50 died and how long you have had it?

03-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Might I also ask where the heck you found a k5IIs? They are almost extinct
03-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Might I ask how the K-50 died and how long you have had it?

It's about 6 months old. I had been outside shooting, dry day, no moisture of any kind. I came back inside and set up to do a still life and when I pressed the shutter button it just started cycling the mirror and or shutter about once a minute. I removed the battery, I tried a factory reset, I tried different batteries and different memory cards... nothing helped. So, it's on the way to the repair facility.
03-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
on a K5ii I believe they're known as "twice as handsome" squirrels...
Thank you! That's what I mean about reading the manual! I had overlooked that setting and after your comment I found it in the Menu and will use it in the future!

Even at ISO 6400...Otis is always handsome!
K5IIs

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
Look hard.....Amazon did have a few left...it is worth hunting for! Amazing camera!

Best Regards!
03-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found it on KEH, condition EX+, $428.00
03-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm thinking the K5iis going to reach cult status like the K10D
03-21-2015, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I'm thinking the K5iis going to reach cult status like the K10D
I think you are so right! It is exceptional and all you need in a great low light camera. It reminds me of my K10D...except that it excels in low light focusing and high ISO shooting! The best of both cameras in one...the K5IIs!

If you don't have any handsome squirrels around, you can use your K5IIs for other things. I know it would be disappointing to have such a fine Squirrel Camera and no squirrels...but you might find some nice birdies...it will shoot birdies too...although it prefers handsome squirrels!

Click on image for EXIF and click again to enlarge!

Just shot this through my office window a few minutes ago.

It gets colors right...even red!

It even shoots tiny birds!

I could have bought any camera, but this one seemed to best fit my needs and qualifications. I don't need more pixels, I need low light capability and great resolution with fast AF......this camera has delivered beyond my expectations!
Best Pentax camera I have ever owned...from the DS to the K5...this is the one that shines brightest!
Best Regards!
Rupert

EDIT: This little guy just stepped up to the podium moments ago and demanded to say a few words about the K5IIs.....
I can't refuse a squirrel, after all they will soon rule the entire earth!

Go ahead little fellow......

" Friends, squirrels, girly squirrels in the front row with those short skirts!...and Pentaxian shooters of the world. This K5IIs is a wonderful machine, it captures the essence of Handsome Squirrels with accuracy, speed, and ease of use. It fits in your hand...or paw.....perfectly, and is small enough to carry all day without fatigue.

My main message to you today is to get one as soon as possible and train it to shoot those Handsome Squirrels in your area. If you don't have any, Otis Squirrel sells them by the box full over on E-Bay and will ship them (for a small fee) direct to your door, where you can have a bushel of freshly hulled corn and roasted peanuts awaiting their arrival! If you have more than that...I'll come myself!

Do not waste your time on lowly birds and other distractions, the K5IIs is a Squirrel Shooting Machine...don't abuse it on worthless photos of people, ridiculous flowers and nuisance birds! "

Best Regards & buy yours today...before it is too late and you are forever without this fine camera!
Sammy Squirrel- Secretary of Information in the Army of Otis

Click once for EXIF...twice to enlarge!

Last edited by Rupert; 03-21-2015 at 12:47 PM.
03-21-2015, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
In the meantime I'll be watching this forum for tips and advice.
Hey Buddy! I've got a tip for you!

With the K5IIs you have a wide DR to work with...so if it looks hopeless....give it a little light and see what happens!....and be sure to shoot Raw +Jpeg!

Can't fix this?

Maybe you can help it out!

Regards!
03-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found one on B+H a week or so ago at a great price even after exchange rate and international delivery. Six days later it was delivered to Australia. Last time I looked B+H had none left so perhaps I got the last one. I can't complain about the service. The camera too is great.