Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I have a K3 and K5II...... have been shooting the K5II with some old manual lenses for the last month.....it is a fabulous camera that holds itself well against anything out there. A couple of shots I've taken have just recently got merit awards in some Camera club comps....such as

Sunset walk.jpg
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

Childs play at Goolwa Beach.jpg
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

04-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
rjm
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
I paid 499 euros for the K5II+18-55, seeing that I don't like the 18-55 at all and I can't see myself using it much, I am considering two alternatives:
- Give the K5II back and get a new K5IIs body only for 589 and then get some primes (I can get the 50/1.7 and 35 limited or some other combos and still stay close to 1000 euros for the body and two to three lenses based on the secondhand prices I see here)
- Get the K3 + 35mm/f2.4 at 855 euros and build it up from there.
K5/II/IIs/3 price-value ratio is something you'll have to figure out for yourself I'm afraid, as is the matter of lens choice.

The II vs IIs is an especially tough decision, though in the end I simply trusted Pentax and bought the K5II as the best of the two for "general photography". The K-3 is still relatively dear, while the original K-5 models on the used market are not cheap enough to make it worth the while over the "II" considering they are often "well used".

For lenses, my favorite to recommend has always been the 35/2.8 macro limited. Though I don't own it anymore since I always use my 31 anyway (and my macro stuff is all with Nikon now) it's a wonderful all-rounder, do anything lens.
04-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I bought the K5ii over the K5iis...... after processing I doubt there is any real difference to the images..... perceivable in any real world kind off way.....however, via this forum, one is left feeling the K5ii is inferrior to the K5iis......similar to choosing a HD DA 15 rather than a SMC version....

For me, a good photo on my K5ii will beat a a slightly less good photo on my K3.....and that slight difference is rarely a camera thing.....and a great photo.....well that pretty well much is camera independent....between these bodies.
04-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K10 and went to the K5iiS. Wow ! ! ! What a jump. It is really a fantastic camera that still amazes me. I am just an enthusiast and take mostly wildlife with my DA 55-300. I agree with everything on this post subject..... I was looking into getting a K3 but will most likely listen to the suggestions I am getting in this forum and get better glass instead.

I love my K5ii

04-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mostly shoot Handsome Squirrels and Big Chickens, but did do some landscapes with my new K5IIs this week on our vacation to Big Bend.
It is excellent for this type of shooting....better than I am for sure! Great camera!

Regards!
04-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
Well it seems that I can confidently attribute the poor image quality to the kit lens based on the responses so far. It is usable and at normal viewing on my computer screen the images are not bad, however I do confess to being a bit of a pixel peeper as I believe that something which looks great at 100% will look great at screen size as well, and I pixel peep to compare the quality of my different lenses/cameras. I tried shooting at f9 and above and then I post process the RAWs in Capture One Pro, which gave me stunning results with my D600, so I know it fairly well. This works well enough for shots of most things, but the lens simply does not seem able to get detail in foliage, and I am not talking about shots with trees and bushes in the distance, I am talking about short distances.

I paid 499 euros for the K5II+18-55, seeing that I don't like the 18-55 at all and I can't see myself using it much, I am considering two alternatives:
- Give the K5II back and get a new K5IIs body only for 589 and then get some primes (I can get the 50/1.7 and 35 limited or some other combos and still stay close to 1000 euros for the body and two to three lenses based on the secondhand prices I see here)
- Get the K3 + 35mm/f2.4 at 855 euros and build it up from there

Decisions.
Before blaming anything on the lens... have you tried that torture shot using Live View? There is a chance some of the disappointment is indicating a focus calibration is needed (which Live View doesn't need).