Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Stabilization with manual lens

Hello. I have a photo student who is using the Pentax K5II. She has put the Rokinon 500mm f/8 mirror lens on this camera using a T2 adapter. However, she insists that there is no way that "handshaking" or image stabilization can be used with this lens, saying that the camera goes to manual mode only, as opposed to Aperture Preferred Automation, which is what I suggested to her, and that handshaking won't work with the mirror lens. I thought I'd check here to see if this was actually the case. I use an Olympus OMD E-M1 which I use with a Tokina mirror lens. Both image stabilization and aperture preferred automation work with my mirror lens. Thank you for your help.

03-23-2015, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If SR is turned on, you simply input the focal length when the camera is turned on. You can also change the focal length in one of the menus.

As the lens if a fixed aperture lens, it can be used in AV mode. You just have to turn on "Using Aperture Ring" in the custom menu.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
03-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the lens and camera are mounted on a tripod, it is suggested you turn off the shake reduction as being on a stable platform will cause the camera to try to correct for movement that isn't there resulting in a blurry shot (counter intuitive as that may seem...)
03-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback about using a manual T2-mount lens on the K5II. I've passed that on to my student. I'll go through the menu steps with her and see if we can get the lens to work with AV and shake reduction. This lens will not be mounted to a tripod. The purpose is to enable shake reduction for camera motion blur-free handheld long telephoto shots with the unique mirror lens bokeh. Like this:

Attached Images

03-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hanknj2 Quote
The purpose is to enable shake reduction for camera motion blur-free handheld long telephoto shots with the unique mirror lens bokeh. Like this:
That's very funky. I like it.
03-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It is true they won't get "handshaking", but that won't prevent use of SR. And with that lens, handshaking wouldn't serve much purpose since it has no aperture mechanism (you lose matrix metering and aperture/lens data listed in the EXIF, but that's all). Just put it in Av and enter the focal length when it asks (it should ask when you turn it on if you are in normal drive mode) and you're good to go. (You might have to set "enable aperture ring", but not sure if you have it in Av.)
03-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hand-shaking as in the lens and camera communicating? Not if it's manual, there's nothing to communicate.
Reduction in hand shake via in-body image stabilization? Yes, that still works.