Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

Shooting Muted vs the other modes

Hello, was wondering anyone could explain not only the technical aspects between these modes.

I shoot DNG only on my K5 IIs. ( I use Capture One & it doesn't do PEF as well as it does DNG).

Guess my true concern is whether one mode captures more information over the other? And, which is less processor intensive yet gives me the color detail I want in Post.

Also, not concerned with file size, just quality of the capture. Thanks.

03-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought that the various settings for like Muted and Vibrant only applied to the JPG created not the RAW file. Is that what you are asking about?

As far as DNG vs. PEF; I can't say since my K50 only shoots in DNG, my K100D Super only shoots in PEF.
03-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Muted and Vibrant only applied to the JPG created
Confirming this. 'Muted' and 'Vibrant' are JPEG only 'Custom Image' settings.

White balance, Custom Image, and colour space settings are not applied to RAW's.

Note that Capture One may not be able to apply those Pentax camera specific 'Custom Image' settings to your RAW's.

If you want the output from processing your RAW files to emulate those Pentax settings, either bake your JPEGs using the Pentax Digital Camera Utility RAW processor that came with your camera, or use the in-camera options (available in playback mode) to save JPEGs or TIFFs out of the camera from your RAWs that implement those 'Custom Image' settings [p-238 of the K-5II manual].

Last edited by rawr; 03-24-2015 at 01:43 PM.
03-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hmm, interesting. When I play with the setting in camera with the DNG files... i.e., change from mute to vibrant to b/w etc., it changes the preview in the camera. Hence, I thought it saved the RAW file a different way for each setting. Why would it do that? Oh well.

Also, read that Capture One processes DNG better than Adobe. So, thats why I switched to DNG. Also, it didn't handle PEF very well. Not going back to Adobe.. I refuse to 'rent' software. And no, I loathe Lightroom as much as I did Aperture so not going there. Loved Photoshop RAW image editing though, but again, not 'renting'.

So, only for .jpg? Ok, thanks.

03-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera likely applies the settings as it renders the screen view. Some software can take the encoded settings into account when creating the jpg's.
03-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Capture One processes DNG better than Adobe
I personally use CaptureOne Pro as I prefer the results I get from it over Lightroom. This is pretty subjective though.
03-25-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Hmm, interesting. When I play with the setting in camera with the DNG files... i.e., change from mute to vibrant to b/w etc., it changes the preview in the camera. Hence, I thought it saved the RAW file a different way for each setting. Why would it do that? Oh well.
The camera applies the settings to the preview jpeg that is embedded in the raw file. Why? Ask Pentax

04-12-2015, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You cannot "see" a RAW data file. It must be rendered/translated into an image file to view it - a JPG image file in the case of the camera's screen and most browsers. What's more logical than to render it with whatever JPG filters you have set in the camera at the time of the shot?

Some software renders RAW data files as an arbitrary default JPG -- which may look significantly different than you are accustomed to viewing in the camera. You'll need to replicate the settings you chose in the camera in your PP program before you can see the results you expect.

Other software renders using the JPG filters present in the camera as encoded in the RAW file so you naturally see that result as the viewed JPG image -- especially so when using OEM software like PDCU that replicates the camera settings.

When you ask to view a RAW data file in the camera what you see is raw data plus the JPG filters present in the camera. You can even change those in-camera filters as you review the image on the camera's LCD screen.

When you ask to view a RAW data file in PP software you may (initially) see one of three things:

- The RAW data plus the exact JPG filters set in the camera at the time of the shot. I.e., PDCU.

- The RAW data presented as translated by reverse engineered JPG filters in the case of PP software that does not use licensed filters from the OEM or the 'side-car' JPG file generated in the camera.

- The RAW data plus the PP software maker's generic interpretation of default JPG filters simply intended let you see an image and correct it as desired.

When you save a RAW data file as an image you don't change the RAW data itself; you simply add a set of 'side-car' instructions to either that file itself or to an associated data base entry and then rename the file to be recalled later as a new, unique JPG image using those specific instructions.

Given the above possibilities there should be no surprise that various PP programs interpret and initially display RAW files as subtly different JPG images. The original RAW data file itself is never changed but always waiting to be re-interpreted and saved as a unique image file.

Last edited by pacerr; 04-12-2015 at 09:26 PM.