Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you deal with mirage & atmospheric effects?

Hey gang,

Hoping to tap into some experience here on the forum. As the title says, how do you deal with mirage & atmospheric effects with a long tele over water?

I'm not running any filter, this is with my K5 classic, and Tamron SP AF 70-200 2.8 lens, no filters on the front element.

Here are some samples that show the effect. The first pic is uncropped and doesn't show the effect as bad but it's still there, the next are all 100% crops, which I needed because I forgot my 1.4x, and even then it wouldn't have been long enough.

What would you do differently to get more clarity with less influence from atmospheric conditions? Not sure how our old film filters would work, and I figure it's too late to fix in post after it is captured.

Part of me is wondering if the K5IIs without the AA filter handles this better or worse? Also thinking more pixels would be nice, might not have to crop so much and loose so much detail... will a longer tele make the effect worse? I see shots from similar events that look good, so I know it can be done. What is the trick?

I did do some post, mostly just corrected the white balance, (OOC was leaning towards magenta's) removed some noise, tiny bit of unsharp mask etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

04-06-2015, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
What would you do differently to get more clarity with less influence from atmospheric conditions?
You could shoot in the vacuum of space, but then there would be no wind for the kite surfers sails.

Sadly, any amount of atmosphere between you and your subject has the potential to both scatter and refract light. The scattering reduces contrast and sharpness. The refraction distorts. A polarizing filter can help with the scattered light, but you are still stuck with the refraction (mirage) problem.

The solution is to move closer to your subject. The more atmosphere between you and what you are shooting, the worse things get.* In the case of a munged background, there is nothing you do.

Steve

* This is the source of recurring questions on this site where the user can't understand why their expensive lens is soft for distant subjects.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-06-2015 at 10:06 AM.
04-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Shoot on a different day. Higher humidity tends to increase the problem. Dry and cold reduces it. But it never goes away, unless you go with Steve's idea and only shoot in space. Time of day can be vastly different, an early morning might give you fairly clear shots, but a few hours later nothing but haze.

I have read claims that a UV filter will help reduce the haze but I have not been able to confirm that from personal experience. There are also some post processing techniques that claim to help such as adjusting the color channels separately in Lightroom or Photoshop. I tried that once with limited success. Adding clarity and contrast and reducing the blue with the targeted adjustment tool in Lightroom can help but bottom line there is no easy 'fix'.
04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As haze is reflection on vapour in the air wouldn't a polarizing filter help reduce these reflections ??

Last edited by RuiC; 04-07-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: these
04-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
As haze is reflection on vapour in the air wouldn't a polarizing filter help reduce this reflections ??

Yeah, before I plunked down my hard earned cash to gamble on any filters, I was hoping for some endorsement or direction on the idea.

Especially with my Tamrons' huge front element 77mm filter thread, a good quality polarizer for instance, won't be cheap!

Eric
04-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe test it by placing your polarized sunglasses over the front of the lens and even if it covers only part of the view you may notice if there is a difference in the shoreline.
04-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Polarization.com

can grab some of that to test it out with, and then use it later to polarize your flashes/studio lights if you ever need to
04-06-2015, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This might be solution for you, though I never tried by myself... Good luck and share your results!

Kolor | Neutralhazer - Anti-haze plugin for Photoshop

04-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
This might be solution for you, though I never tried by myself... Good luck and share your results!
That looks pretty amazing. Might be useful making masks for blending in new skies as well. Very interesting.
04-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote

Kolor | Neutralhazer - Anti-haze plugin for Photoshop

Thanks, I have similar tools in Photoshop already... and they can clear up the haze, but to fix the water color impressionist looking smears from the moisture in the air, I think I'm going to have to try a polarizer, nothing in post-processing is going to bring the detail back.

Obviously spy satellites that can read the note in your hand can go through miles and miles of atmosphere, so there has to be a way to do it.

Eric
04-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Thanks, I have similar tools in Photoshop already... and they can clear up the haze, but to fix the water color impressionist looking smears from the moisture in the air, I think I'm going to have to try a polarizer, nothing in post-processing is going to bring the detail back.

Obviously spy satellites that can read the note in your hand can go through miles and miles of atmosphere, so there has to be a way to do it.

Eric
Haze may be a few hundred feet thick but when viewed from land across the horizon you could be looking through miles of it.
Or maybe more than a few hundred feet but it stays close to the ground.
I see smog and haze appear as a layer over my town during some times of the year when landing from a flight.
It has a visible top edge and does not go up miles into the atmosphere.

Last edited by crewl1; 04-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.