Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K5 II sometimes I have issues with shutter release

I have a Pentax K5 II and ocassionally have issues with the camera not releasing the shutter when it is showing the "Green Hands" icon in the viewfinder which is blinking. I assume this is the shake reduction. When it has done this I have had plenty of light. No matter how many times I try to get it to release the shutter it won't. The only thing that resolves this is to shut the camera off and restart it. It then gladly takes the picture of the exact same scene.

I have the camera set in AV mode (Aperature Priority)

I'm not sure if I'm doing something worng or have something set wrong with the camera. I am thinking of resetting the camera to the factory settings to see if this resolves it. Will the camera not fire if the Aperature is set too high leaving too slow of a shutter speed?

This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is very frustrating. I would say I have had it happen at least a dozen times since I have owned the camera.

If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know. I'm still learning this Camera and most of the time I have excellent results.

04-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green Hand or Green Hexagon? The Green Hand indicating SR lock does not, as far as I know, have any affect on whether the shutter will release. Nor have I ever seen it blinking, it is either on or off. However, if you have the camera in focus priority mode the shutter will not release unless you have a focus lock which is indicated by the Green Hexagon.

If the green hexagon is blinking that is an indication that the camera tried but could not achieve a focus lock, either because you are too close to the subject or because it tried and timed out due to poor contrast within the subject frame. If you have good light it is most likely you are too close and within the MFD of that lens.
04-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Do you get the AF confirmation beep?
04-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaleagle12 Quote
I have a Pentax K5 II and ocassionally have issues with the camera not releasing the shutter when it is showing the "Green Hands" icon in the viewfinder which is blinking. I assume this is the shake reduction. When it has done this I have had plenty of light. No matter how many times I try to get it to release the shutter it won't. The only thing that resolves this is to shut the camera off and restart it. It then gladly takes the picture of the exact same scene.

I have the camera set in AV mode (Aperature Priority)

I'm not sure if I'm doing something worng or have something set wrong with the camera. I am thinking of resetting the camera to the factory settings to see if this resolves it. Will the camera not fire if the Aperature is set too high leaving too slow of a shutter speed?

This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is very frustrating. I would say I have had it happen at least a dozen times since I have owned the camera.

If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know. I'm still learning this Camera and most of the time I have excellent results.
If your camera is set to AF.S and focus priority in the menu (the default), the shutter won't release unless the AF system confirms that the image is in focus. That might be what's happening.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I think it is the focus lock indicator that is blinking. The last time it happened, yesterday, I was taking a long shot with the focus on infinity and plenty of light, so I'm not sure why it was locking up. I shut the camera off and turned it back on again and it took the exact same shot. This has happened to me multiple times in the past.

I guess I should take some notes on exactly what I'm doing the next time it happens. I hope it isn't a problem with the camera as 99% of the time it works flawlessly. I'm pretty sure the camera is set for focus priority mode. The focus setting is on single, not continuous mode.
04-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

You should not have to turn off the camera, just release the shutter button and re-focus. If that is not happening then that is not normal behavior. What lens is being used? And does it happen on different lenses or only one?
04-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I suggest you have the body and lens contacts cleaned, maybe there is not good communication between both.
04-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good suggestion. I've been having the most problems when using the Pentax 18-135mm lens. I was outdoors taking pictures of some water falls, shooting at a long distance with plenty of light and the focus would not allow the camera to fire again. This hapened to me numerous times throughout the day. I didn't have another lens with me to see if it was related to that specifc lens.

What's the best way to clean the contacts on the camera and lens - using isopropol alcohol?

If this continues, I may send the camera in under warranty.

04-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaleagle12 Quote
What's the best way to clean the contacts on the camera and lens - using isopropol alcohol?
Alcohol as a very last resort and then carefully.

Best way is just to buff the contacts with a microfiber cloth. A pencil eraser can also work if there is visible tarnish, but that is unlikely on a new lens like the 18-135.
04-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

I took have problems with my Pentax k5s. I am still getting the hang of it
I had camera on grid mode and pressed the view finder mode. It was making heavy noise?
Any idea any one. It takes pictures fine. However in grid mode sounds like a truck.
Best way to describe it.
I just had it checked out ...