Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

K5 RAW noise reduction settings?

I have come across a good suggestion for defualt sharpening settings to use as a starting point for adjusting raw files when importing them into Photoshop (50, 1.0, 50, 50) that I found to be very useful, but have not yet found any similar suggestion for default noise reduction settings, so a pointer to any thread where this has been discussed or suggestions based on your experience would be very welcome.

I understand there is no perfect solution that applies to all files, a lot depends on style and personal judgement, and also other factors such as type of subject, lens, iso, however I figure having some ballpark suggestion as a point of departure for further experimenting and adjustment may be useful, right?

Myself mostly I am interested in portraits with wide open lenses in low light that poses quite different challenges in terms of sharpening and noise reduction than say landscape photography. What about you?

05-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
I have come across a good suggestion for defualt sharpening settings to use as a starting point for adjusting raw files when importing them into Photoshop (50, 1.0, 50, 50) that I found to be very useful, but have not yet found any similar suggestion for default noise reduction settings, so a pointer to any thread where this has been discussed or suggestions based on your experience would be very welcome.

I understand there is no perfect solution that applies to all files, a lot depends on style and personal judgement, and also other factors such as type of subject, lens, iso, however I figure having some ballpark suggestion as a point of departure for further experimenting and adjustment may be useful, right?

Myself mostly I am interested in portraits with wide open lenses in low light that poses quite different challenges in terms of sharpening and noise reduction than say landscape photography. What about you?
I don't find myself increasing the NR much except at high ISOs (i.e. 3200+). I think the best starting point is baseline color NR and no luminance NR with adjustments as needed based on the scene itself. If you want a more automated solution I'd use something like topaz denoise.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks Adam for the helpful reply!
05-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I understand there is no perfect solution that applies to all files, a lot depends on style and personal judgement, and also other factors such as type of subject, lens, iso,
Exactly, so I think you've answered your own questions.
however I figure having some ballpark suggestion as a point of departure for further experimenting and adjustment may be useful, right?
Not for me. I don't want NR applied as a default when it's not needed.
Same with sharpening, you can't apply one setting to fit all. It depends on the capture.
I just knuckle down and process my best images and throw away the others (unless it's a one-off with no chance of repeating).

05-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Not for me. I don't want NR applied as a default when it's not needed.
Good to see Steve you seem to agree with Adam ie start out with no or minimal NR and go from there depending on what suits the image, right?

I think you've answered your own questions.
Answering my own question is usually the easy part. What I find more difficult is figuring out if my answer is right or not :-)
05-03-2015, 02:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm just passing on my experience and prefs. If Adam or anyone else arrives a similar conclusion, it's not an agreement it's simply a result.
05-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'm just passing on my experience and prefs. If Adam or anyone else arrives a similar conclusion, it's not an agreement it's simply a result.
Thanks Steve, until yesterday I didnīt have much of a clue what the anti-aliasing filter does and got quite flustered when I realized the big difference the different sharpening controls make to a RAW image even before creative considerations kick in. In my version of Photoshop noise reduction adjustments are on the same page as sharpening controls, so I thought I better give them some attention to them too for the same reason, though now can see they are quite a different kettle of fish.
05-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks Steve, until yesterday I didnīt have much of a clue what the anti-aliasing filter does and got quite flustered when I realized the big difference the different sharpening controls make to a RAW image even before creative considerations kick in.
I learned that sharpening should be the last thing you do to an image before processing and exporting.

05-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
yeah, I thought so too until I came across the explanation about half way through this tutorial yesterday about "capture sharpening" that also seems to make sense