Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2015, 03:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
issue with EV meter bar, but only in viewfinder

Just picked up a replacement K5iis, since mine got dropped and needs to go in for service to try to save it. I was putting this (used) replacement through its paces to test it, and I noticed that the EV meter bar in the viewfinder was not tracking the EV meter bar on the back LCD monitor. The one on the back (accurately?) moves into underexposure when I point the camera at a dark (large) area as you'd expect--and moves into overexposure when I point the camera at a bright (large) area as you'd expect. But meanwhile the one in the viewfinder does not follow its companion. In fact, the one in the viewfinder does not seem to move much at all. Correspondingly, the numerical readout of over/correct/underexposure in the far right of the viewfinder DOES seem to track dark and bright areas. So, it might read "-2.5" when the camera points to a dark area and the meter on the back shows serious underexposure--while the viewfinder EV meter bar just the left of the "-2.5" stays at its center point as if the scene was middle gray.

If there a setting in the menu that I have incorrectly set that could so disengage the viewfinder EV meter bar from the other metering readouts? Or is this a defect?

Last edited by sholtzma; 05-29-2015 at 04:11 AM.
05-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Just picked up a replacement K5iis, since mine got dropped and needs to go in for service to try to save it. I was putting this (used) replacement through its paces to test it, and I noticed that the EV meter bar in the viewfinder was not tracking the EV meter bar on the back LCD monitor. The one on the back (accurately?) moves into underexposure when I point the camera at a dark (large) area as you'd expect--and moves into overexposure when I point the camera at a bright (large) area as you'd expect. But meanwhile the one in the viewfinder does not follow its companion. In fact, the one in the viewfinder does not seem to move much at all. Correspondingly, the numerical readout of over/correct/underexposure in the far right of the viewfinder DOES seem to track dark and bright areas. So, it might read "-2.5" when the camera points to a dark area and the meter on the back shows serious underexposure--while the viewfinder EV meter bar just the left of the "-2.5" stays at its center point as if the scene was middle gray.

If there a setting in the menu that I have incorrectly set that could so disengage the viewfinder EV meter bar from the other metering readouts? Or is this a defect?
Are you sure its not showing the exposure compensation bar or the digital level?
05-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Are you sure its not showing the exposure compensation bar or the digital level?
What he said...

The electronic level, if enabled for the viewfinder, will replace the EV display. Note too, that the EV values are only displayed in M mode. For other modes the display shows exposure compensation setting.

Steve
05-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I had in in M mode. But you are right, I had the level enabled. This is the result of serious jet lag; I can't think straight. Thanks to this forum for helping me out quickly!