Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said, it's a walkaround zoom but above average, and really nice. You'll want that DC motor in all your lenses after using it. Then check the settings on the photos you like and learn the sweet spots...all zooms have sweet spots.

06-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think you could spend some time with the 28mm, 35mm and 50mm before you buy anything. Then consider:

. If your most used lens is the 50mm and you wish you had something longer, get a tele.
. If your most used lens ends up being the 28mm and you wish for something wider, get a wide angle.
. If you find your lenses give you what you need, but you are annoyed that you have to change lenses all the time, get yourself a zoom.
. If you find yourself using the 35mm all the time and zooming with your feet and getting great results, use the money going to places where you can take beautiful pictures, and take the 28mm and 50mm just in case
Thanks ChristianRock - very sensible advice. My concern though is that none of them are WR and I live on a wet island. No one moves to the UK for the weather. With the 18-135 I will at least have a weather resistant lens to go with the WR body of the K5iis. It's a practical move I think. And I have to be practical - having young kids means taking the opportunity as it arises! I won't have much chance to change lenses with 3 small ones and the dog.

(Much as I'd like to..!)

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 09:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The 18-135 is a nice walkaround lens, and features a very quick focus motor. It's a pleasure to use, and weather resistant.

Use it to see what you want to do better, or discover what you can't do. Take your time.

Also remember the used market. The Marketplace here is a great resource. You can buy used lenses and if you take care of them you can sell them for the same price if they don't serve your needs.
I do like the (near silent) sound of the motor. And as you say, it's a great walk round lens. Thanks.
06-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is nice to have a zoom lens, perhaps for verstility, in your most used focal legths, but, seeing as you started with a prime lens maybe check out some more primes
06-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
It is nice to have a zoom lens, perhaps for verstility, in your most used focal legths, but, seeing as you started with a prime lens maybe check out some more primes
Good idea but much comes down to cost - I need the best bang for the buck that I can get, and unfortunately this leads to compromise - like many things in life!

06-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #20
Forum Member

There's no need to every millimeter of the focal length, just not necessary. the 35mm 2.4 was my first lens and I got a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 a few days after. I can already tell the Sigma is going to be glued to my camera all the time albeit a bit heavy. I do travel a lot so I don't know if I will prefer the lighter weight of the 35mm being 400 grams lighter. The Sigma goes for about $600 new in the US I believe but there's 2 sellers from Japan selling them at $300-$310, I bought one of them and it works perfectly with all original accessories (case, hood, lens cap, rear cap). It's tack sharp and as sharp as the 35mm.

I have been looking at the 55-300mm for the extra range, or just a telephoto prime for my long range needs.
06-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you can wait, since it is only available for pre-order presently, the Sigma 18-300 for Pentax mount might be a good choice.
06-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you can wait, since it is only available for pre-order presently, the Sigma 18-300 for Pentax mount might be a good choice.
Those type zooms never have the IQ. To me the 18-135 still gives you prime type IQ and zoom like flexibility. If you want better IQ you can go to something like the 16-85 or a 17-70 that has a lower zoom ratio. All the top quality zooms are maximum 4:1 (DA* 60-250) and frequently 2:1 (Sigma 18-35). Once you go over the 18-135's 7.5:1, to something like an 18-300 (17:1) you won't get the IQ anywhere in it's zoom range. Even an 18-200 suffers from this.

I'm going to say this is theoretically a general rule, because I don't know every lens.... and then I'm going to say it's practically a hard rule, because I don't know of a single lens that breaks the "higher zoom ratio = lower IQ" assumption.

Last edited by normhead; 06-30-2015 at 11:46 AM.
06-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't worry about doubling up on prime focal lengths with a zoom, or vice versa. If that were a consideration, nobody who ever bought an 18-250 early on (which I did) would ever buy anything else (and I did - lots and lots!). The zooms are more flexible; the primes are usually faster and can generally be relied on to have better IQ (unless your zoom is a DA* or something like that, in which case it might compete on fairly even terms with a garden-variety prime).

ETA: Then of course there are considerations like weather, flexibility (missing the shot as you reach to the bag to change primes, etc), and so forth. That can sometimes matter more than IQ differences or a stop or two of light or some focal lengths not covered. \

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those type zooms never have the IQ.
That one's up to the individual - how much IQ are you prepared to sacrifice for zoom flexibility? At the time, the answer for me was "A lot".

Last edited by pathdoc; 06-30-2015 at 11:16 AM.
06-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

My DA*60-250 compares favourably with any prime out there for the focal lengths it covers, not just the garden variety. Me thinks thou dost generalize to the level of blatant inaccuracy. I suspect the DA*50-135 also exceeds many primes in it's focal range. Sometimes you give up flexibility, for the mistaken belief that you're getting a better image using a prime, and all you're doing is deluding yourself. Even the much maligned DA 18-135 probably out performs the FA 20 and it certainly out performs the FA* 24 ƒ2 everywhere but possibly ƒ5.6 in the centre. You should maybe look at the actual test results and images.. I think you'll be surprised. Primes definitely do not guarantee you any kind of result. You have to check the zooms available in their range and look at each one individually. The zoom is nearly as likely to be the better performer as the prime.