Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

using old screw-mount lenses on k5

I am brand new to the forum and hoped to contact a seller of a K5 but could not unless I posted at least once.
So I'm posting;
I have m42 super takumars from 28mm to 300mm (f6.3) which I bought the late 60's and used for twenty years. They've been in a case under the bed along with a Honeywell/Heiland S3 and an Asahi Spotmatic. The K5 has features that read better than the d90 I've been using for a number of years and I'm thinking that the old lenses would be fun to use, and much sharper than the 18-200 zoom I'm currently using.
Any advice regarding adapting these M42 lenses to the K5 would be appreciated, especially any info about the image quality of film-type lenses used on digital (I read something some time ago about reflections from the sensor). Thank you.

06-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honeywell Quote
I am brand new to the forum and hoped to contact a seller of a K5 but could not unless I posted at least once.
So I'm posting;
I have m42 super takumars from 28mm to 300mm (f6.3) which I bought the late 60's and used for twenty years. They've been in a case under the bed along with a Honeywell/Heiland S3 and an Asahi Spotmatic. The K5 has features that read better than the d90 I've been using for a number of years and I'm thinking that the old lenses would be fun to use, and much sharper than the 18-200 zoom I'm currently using.
Any advice regarding adapting these M42 lenses to the K5 would be appreciated, especially any info about the image quality of film-type lenses used on digital (I read something some time ago about reflections from the sensor). Thank you.
Here's the guide:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Many film era lenses are quite good optically. You'll probably experience more aberrations than with a modern optical design, but in many cases this doesn't have a significant practical impact. Considering their low price, manual lenses can be well worth it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome! Sounds like you have a nice collection of lenses. Quite a few members here use older lenses, K-mount as well as others. The m42 lenses can be adapted very easily. You can buy a cheapo adapter online, but I would advise against that. It is a good investment to buy the genuine Pentax m42 to K adapter, as it is well-machined and will not get stuck or damage your gear. Some people report success with the cheaper ones, but every so often we get a horror story.

Two things I would add: a) when using m42 lenses, do not use UV filter on them. Maybe a polarizer, but UV is not needed. Secondly, use a lens hood. Since your camera is APSC, you can use a tighter hood than the original for extra protection. You might notice that digital sensors capture images slightly differently than film, so some types of flare, ghosting, and fringing might become more apparent than they used to be when you used those same lenses on film. A lens hood can help a lot with this. Shooting photos raw and applying correction in PP software is the next, more advanced step. A good lens hood will prevent those issues you raised, about shiny sensors and that. A multicoated polarizer can help with contrast and colour pop, but is not needed (and a bad one can degrade IQ)

b) After you learn to use m42 lenses (quite easy, really. In Menu, go to the back and Enable Aperture Ring. Then just mount adapter, then screw in the lens, and choose M or Av mode. Av mode has continuous metering, M lets you choose the shutter. Focus wide open, then stop down the lens and press shutter to take photo), look into things like Catch in Focus. This gives you something similar to AF with many older lenses. Some Takumars don'T allow it, because their lens base is too narrow, but its a useful function and too many people don't know about it

I think you'll fit right in. There are numerous threads about manual and m42 lenses here. And if they don't help, just post here or make another thread Oh, and be sure to post a photo or two taken with those m42 lenses in the appropriate subforum once you get the hang of it!
06-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had good luck with the $7 eBay adapters. You remove that clip thing with the pin. And use thread lock on it. One adapter per lens.

06-23-2015, 01:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can find an adapter on ebay for 5-7$, pay attention if they say Focus infinity in the title or in the description (you'll need this); if the "focus infinity" is not mentioned then the adapter might not be very useful.
Old lens are built like tanks and works great if you don't mind manual focus ^^
About quality of the m42 lens ? check out my photo samples in the lens reviews section :
Helios 44 58mm f2
Takumar 50mm f1.4
Coslinar 135mm f2.8

Last edited by redcat; 06-23-2015 at 02:48 AM.
06-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Have a look at the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html; only 900 pages with photos
06-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback and welcom; I just purchased a "Genuine Pentax" m42 adapter on eBay and I am excited about using the system. I'm thinking 'old-school' as far as manual focus, manual stop-down, etc, but the results may be worth the extra effort. I almost always use aperture priority, and sometimes switch to manual focus after the focus locks, because I do mostly subtle hdr (photomatix).

I will certainly checkout the Takumar club

Additionally, the K5 gets such high marks across the board that I just may buy a Sigma 18-200 lens (I've become zoom-addicted in my old age) and sell the d90... though I am partial to my super sharp 60mm f2.8 Nikon macro.

The K5 I'm buying has a 50mm f2 which will allow me to get a feel for the usage.
06-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I've had good luck with the $7 eBay adapters. You remove that clip thing with the pin. And use thread lock on it. One adapter per lens.
Basically you're converting the M42 mount to a sort of "blind" K-mount, aren't you? I'm wary of those $7 specials because I'm having enough infinity-focus problem as it is with the M42 lens I have, and that's with the genuine Pentax mount! Though that may be because it's a relatively unknown company (Samigon), and I might just have a really poxy lens.

Had I been an electronic engineer, I might have ripped the guts out of a dead Spotmatic and seen if it were possible to cram a smartphone sensor in there. I guess that might be an idea, if anyone wanted to run with it.

06-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Basically you're converting the M42 mount to a sort of "blind" K-mount, aren't you? I'm wary of those $7 specials because I'm having enough infinity-focus problem as it is with the M42 lens I have, and that's with the genuine Pentax mount!
you must have very bad luck I just buy a 5$ M42 adapter and it works fine, it focus to infinity as well ^^ I think they make pretty good m42 adapter and super cheap these days !

Make sure it is not this adaptor :
General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS B&H

Or a variant of it. Tie inner ring which is intended to depress the aperture pin on "auto" m42 lenses interferes with the mount on Pentax M42 lenses that are set up for open aperture metering. (Some super tak's and all SMC tak's)

Last edited by redcat; 07-01-2015 at 01:43 AM.
06-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/60-accessory-memory-articles/87287-right-...t-adaptor.html
06-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. I've got the right one. It must be the lens. I have a second M42, a Takumar, on the way; hopefully that should be a lot better.