Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TV mode does not work

It seems logical that Tv mode would allow one to set the Shutter Speed to a constant value allowing aperture and ISO to move to give a proper exposure. I have several Pentax DSLRs. At least the K3 and K3-II do behave this way. I believe the older models did too, (gotta dig out the old batteries and charge'em'up)

The shutter speed remains constant in Tv mode regardless of exposure. i.e. even if the exposure is too low/high and I get blinky warnings to that effect, the shutter speed remains where I set it.

Oddly, the K5 will show the assigned shutter speed in the top LCD until I press the auto-focus button (top or back). If the exposure can be made valid, the shutter speed stays where it is set. It is when the exposure is invalid, the shutter speed changes. I REALLY do not want the shutter speed to change under any condition, even if the exposure is 1/3 of a stop too far in one direction or another. (or even if it is 5 stops too much... I want it to stay where it is -- like it does for my other cameras).

Is there some setting I am not finding, that changes this behavior?
The Program Line is MTF for both (if that matters), and I believe all other settings are as consistent as possible between the cameras.

Anyone see this behavior and know what I need to fix?

07-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
It seems logical that Tv mode would allow one to set the Shutter Speed to a constant value allowing aperture and ISO to move to give a proper exposure. I have several Pentax DSLRs. At least the K3 and K3-II do behave this way. I believe the older models did too, (gotta dig out the old batteries and charge'em'up)

The shutter speed remains constant in Tv mode regardless of exposure. i.e. even if the exposure is too low/high and I get blinky warnings to that effect, the shutter speed remains where I set it.

Oddly, the K5 will show the assigned shutter speed in the top LCD until I press the auto-focus button (top or back). If the exposure can be made valid, the shutter speed stays where it is set. It is when the exposure is invalid, the shutter speed changes. I REALLY do not want the shutter speed to change under any condition, even if the exposure is 1/3 of a stop too far in one direction or another. (or even if it is 5 stops too much... I want it to stay where it is -- like it does for my other cameras).

Is there some setting I am not finding, that changes this behavior?
The Program Line is MTF for both (if that matters), and I believe all other settings are as consistent as possible between the cameras.

Anyone see this behavior and know what I need to fix?
Change the program line to speed instead of MTF would make more sense...
07-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Agh! Found it! Been looking through settings for so long I missed one. Had this problem days ago have been going back and fourth trying to find the issue and kept missing it.
Probably because the description does not make sense to me for this behavior. (I guess it sort of does, after-the-fact) :-(

Apparently C7 (C6 on K3) Auto EV Compensation; "Use Auto EV Comp when proper exposure is not obtained" forces proper exposure regardless of user chosen settings.

I'll leave this here in case someone else ever has the issue.
07-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Agh! Found it! Been looking through settings for so long I missed one. Had this problem days ago have been going back and fourth trying to find the issue and kept missing it.
Probably because the description does not make sense to me for this behavior. (I guess it sort of does, after-the-fact) :-(

Apparently C7 (C6 on K3) Auto EV Compensation; "Use Auto EV Comp when proper exposure is not obtained" forces proper exposure regardless of user chosen settings.

I'll leave this here in case someone else ever has the issue.
Good point........ might have already set it up like that but never seem to pay attention to it as I didn't have that problem you have.

07-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Yep, that is what it does and a good reason to leave it at its default setting (off)!

Steve