Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
0ev bracketing possible?

I was wondering if there's a bodge to use bracketing to take shots at various settings, based on the same locked in exposure. Ie I think 5.6 and 1/500 will give me the right settings for something. But I'd like the cam to also take 2.8 1000, 4 750, 8 320 11 250 etc?

08-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's sounds like a feature request... Interesting idea but I think most of us prefer a bit more control.
08-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That's sounds like a feature request
There was a user a few months back with a similar request (several possible combinations for the same EV) and the thread went on for several pages with various comments, suggestions and observations. It was never clear what the intended use case was.

I am not sure what the feature might be called. Program line bracketing?

Steve
08-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps it could be called "aperture bracketing". You take the same shot at the same exposure with different apertures. I like the idea and assume it would be an easy feature to include.

08-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Perhaps it could be called "aperture bracketing".
I guess. The big question remains...why? The only possible case I can think of would be a potentially moving object in an available light circumstance where it would be difficult to gauge in advance the minimum shutter speed to avoid subject blur.

Steve
08-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The big question remains...why?Steve
Depth of field choices?
08-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Both really - would be a nice feature to have for both aperture and shutter speed. To explain - when I'm out photographing bugs I'd like to press the shutter and have 5 shots taken at different apertures (same ev), so I can choose the best one later. I can do this manually but bugs tend to fly away . The bodge I'm currently using is to shoot RAW on TV, 5 +- 1/3 and 1/3 over. Hopefully because they're RAW I can compensate later if they're under or over but they happen to be the right DOF one for the bug and background...

08-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I think the other guy requesting it was for depth-of-field purposes, which makes sense. If you want to allow the dynamic range of the camera to save you later, you could set the ISO to a fixed value, and use the bracketing in shutter priority mode (forcing an aperture change). (Which is what I suggested last time before I'd had my coffee that day and not realizing that of course this is still exposure bracketing.) So if you have a stop or so wiggle room with your scene, that is way to shoot at multiple apertures with one click. For constant exposure the best you can do is click-wheelturn-click-wheelturn-click, etc
08-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Depth of field choices?
Yes, that would make sense too. Sort of a DOF/motion blur form of "spray 'n pray".

Steve
08-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would probably use it for depth of field choice. And I would definitely use it. The real question is whether or not it is indeed an easy feature to install or even add later via firmware.
08-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I was wondering if there's a bodge to use bracketing to take shots at various settings, based on the same locked in exposure. Ie I think 5.6 and 1/500 will give me the right settings for something. But I'd like the cam to also take 2.8 1000, 4 750, 8 320 11 250 etc?
They should add this feature- it would make testing lenses so much easier!

However, with the right coding it might already by possible with wi-fi enabled bodies so that's a thought.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It'd be good for quasi 'focus stacking'. Write to your local Congressman now! :-)