Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I am not a Luddite, but.......

Sometimes, after shooting with the K5IIs, I wish Pentax would decide to keep manufacturing the K5IIs camera......Even as they continue to design and manufacture newer models. It is just such a satisfying experience- using the K5IIs- from press of the shutter button, to marveling at the images rendered by the old MF Takumars. It is like Pentax hit the sweet spot with this camera.

I own a K3 as well; it stands duty as a back-up. I find myself thinking more and more about buying a spare K5IIs.

08-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow amazing
08-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not used a K-3, but so pleased with the IIs, I bought three.
08-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you are not alone.
I have K5II and K5IIs, along with K7, K20D and K01. If one of the K5IIs failed, I would go get another one if it is still available. It just fits my hands and needs so well.
And K3 probably will be one of very few models that I skip... I still think 24mp is a little overdone on APS.

08-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony nailed it with the 16MP sensor. I've also had the 6 & 10MP CCD and the 12MP CMOS sensors, but the 16MP is the one that has kept me from upgrade-itis the longest.

Can't really comment about other aspects of the K-5 IIs, as I have a K-01.

Most of the old Taks I've owned have wonderful. Today I was out photographing deer during a light rainfall, and the K-01 + Tak 200/3.5 & Tak 300/4 delivered really good IQ, even at ISO 1600.
08-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-5 IIs could become something like a classic, timeless K1000. It would be manufactured for years and years and only cost like parts + 5%.

Actually, that's the K-30/50/500 ...
08-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm deliriously happy with the good old K5. What do I get if I upgrade to the IIs model, and what if anything do I lose?

08-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the images from my K-5 "classic" feels more pliable, easier to post process, than what I get from the K-3.

I still find the K-3 to be a better camera in many ways, though, and will live quite happily with the somewhat more "brittle" image files it produces. I will never give up the dual card slots!

Now, a K-3 with a K-5 sensor and ISO 80...
08-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Now, a K-3 with a K-5 sensor and ISO 80...
Amen. I'm hoping that the FF will go even lower in the ISO stakes. I don't want to lose that low setting; I use it a hell of a lot these days, like most of the time when I'm outdoors in daylight.
08-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm deliriously happy with the good old K5. What do I get if I upgrade to the IIs model, and what if anything do I lose?
I owned the original K5 and had some issues with camera lock-up. Additionally, the auto focus was not as reliably accurate as I expected a modern DSLR to be. The K5IIs has shown no operational faults, and the auto focus is pretty reliable and accurate......When I use it.

I am not well versed in technical discussion of image quality, I have to go with what appeals to my eyes. In my opinion, in comparison to images I have retained from my old K5, the images from the K5IIs seem to have better detail, while retaining all of the other great qualities of the images from the K5. If my K5 had been a reliable camera, I would still have it, and may not have purchased the K5IIs. I had no dissatisfaction with images from the K5.

I think the K5IIs model benefited from Pentax' experience with the K5, and includes an upgraded sensor. Both are great cameras.

If you are a K5 owner, and happy with it, and you are considering a second camera, It is hard to imagine you will not be a little bit happier with the K5IIs. It is like having the opportunity to replace a car that you love with a newer model that, while exactly the same in appearance, feel and fit, handles better, has more power, and gets better gas mileage. It is a true upgrade of a great camera.....Not a different camera.

Last edited by tennjed; 08-12-2015 at 01:19 AM.