Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Picture quality with my k-5

Hi,
I have owned a K-5 for several years now and find that my old K-100d consistently outperforms the K-5!
Pictures seem sharper have better dynamic range and look just better!
I took pictures at a wedding recently and all the pictures seems soft, lifeless and lack detail compared to the K-5 (used by a friend).
I used the standard 18-55 lens that came with the K-5 and the K-100D used the 18-55mm lens that came with it.
Both used jpeg. (I had 10mp (****) selected - my bad). No RAW was used.
I used both a Vivitar 285HV with diffuser during the day and later after dark an AF-36-FGZ.
Camera was set for x-sync most of the time. The results were mixed.
The AF-360 was a fun fest in itself.
After dark it fired when it wanted if at all! Most shots were horribly under exposed. But at least it would focus in the dark
and then it might or might not fire when the shutter was pressed. Yes, timing was longer than 10-12 seconds for recharge.
at times the shutter would release and no flash! (red light was on). This flash should be banned!
The K-5 even with the on camera flash took far better pictures!
What am I doing wrong?
1/ Why are the K-5 pictures consistently of poorer quality, no matter what I do?
2/ Did I miss something in basic settings? Is there a basic setting I should start with?
3/ Also I forgot to mention focus is often off either front or back. (AF-C)
4/ I had had similar issues in the past with my K-20D, which I carried as a spare.
I am now experimenting with older thyristor flashes, my faith in the AF-360 is shot!
Arrrggghhh be gentle.

Rudi

08-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to the proper forum.
As the sticky at the top of General Talk says: "Photography related threads do not belong in Gen Talk"
08-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

Rudi, perhaps you could post some pictures for comparison. Realistically at 6MP the k100d just can't out perform the 16MP K5. Many people on this forum seem to prefer the K5 (or K5ll) to the K3. I've used it's cousin the K50 (same sensor) and it clearly out performed my K100,K10, and K20. Perhaps you just need to dig into the settings to fine tune them to your style. I know when I began on my K3 I was disappointed with the early results compared to the K50 but after a short time I was able to account for the learning curve and get the results I was looking for.The other thing you might consider is the use of the kit glass (18-55) .I've found the larger sensor tends to exacerbate the limitations and flaws of this lens perhaps using a better piece of glass ( even an old manual 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 ) would yield the results your looking for.Many people struggle with flash photography, the AF-360 is a pretty well rated flash and with P-TTL compatibility you should not experience problems on a K5. Perhaps a tutorial like this
could help. Lastly the front/back focus issues are something you can address by using a focus chart and fine tuning function of the K5.There are numerous threads in this forum discussing how to do this.I hope this helps.
08-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many things that you could have done to give yourself better chance... one of them is using AF-C in shooting mode; as it is probably one of the weakest link in Pentax DSLR including the k-5. You said you get better photos with the k100D, it could also be pure coincidence, as almost every aspect of the k-5 is improved over the k100D. A photo of what you think is wrong would be helpful in identifying if any issues with camera/lens or user error.

08-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As the sticky at the top of General Talk says: "Photography related threads do not belong in Gen Talk"
Thanks.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 10:47 PM ----------

To what forum did you mover it???
08-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rouds39 Quote
To what forum did you mover it???
Uh, this one.
08-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
Uh, this one.
Ah, I didn't notice that! Duh.
You can see I am very fluent in this forum.....

08-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
There are many things that you could have done to give yourself better chance... one of them is using AF-C in shooting mode; as it is probably one of the weakest link in Pentax DSLR including the k-5. You said you get better photos with the k100D, it could also be pure coincidence, as almost every aspect of the k-5 is improved over the k100D. A photo of what you think is wrong would be helpful in identifying if any issues with camera/lens or user error.
I do use most commonly AF-C.
As I often take picture of moving objects (RC sailplanes) using AF-S or M is generally not as good. I've tried.
And yes I pan!
I also used it at the said wedding. But is not an AF issue I think.
BTW I went from the K100D to the K-20D to the K-5. I also felt that the K20D was not as good.
So my feeling is that I am doing some basic setup incorrectly.
I've also experimented with stationary objects (a barn) at different setting (jpeg 2, 6, 10, 16 ****)
which all looked alike to me on the monitor!
I will post some pictures later. (None are on this machine!)
08-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Uh, this one.

What could be wrong? Better knowledge of the camera settings, better lens, some lithium batteries in the 360 Flash unit....reading the manual once in a while...and understanding what it all means......

There are so many factors involved that no one answer will suffice. The K5 is an excellent camera, and the 360 Flash has served me very well...in fact better than my 540 unit.

My K5IIs is tons better than my old K5 but if you don't use it to its full advantage, no better than the K5. You only have to look at the K5 photo threads here or the K5iiS photo threads to know that you are doing something wrong? There are plenty here to help you, take advantage of it!

Best Regards!
08-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

A few weeks ago I ran some image tests, and found neither of my 2 18-55s gave me a decent image, even manually focussed. The most likely culprit to my way of thinking would be the lens used. I have lots of good images taken with these lenses over the years, but I'm not just not convinced it's as resistant to every day use as it should be.
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A few weeks ago I ran some image tests, and found neither of my 2 18-55s gave me a decent image, even manually focussed. The most likely culprit to my way of thinking would be the lens used. I have lots of good images taken with these lenses over the years, but I'm not just not convinced it's as resistant to every day use as it should be.
So what would be a good lens for general shooting?
I have the 50mm Pentax lens. (A buck and change on amazon).
And use a 18-250mm Tamron, which is my default lens for general shooting.
As well as the old (came with the K100D) 50-200.
And the Big Ma, Sigma 50-500mm, also an older version. Used rarely.
I would still expect the 18-55 to out perform the point and shoot family of boxes out there.
Realize that I may make 8x10 prints with little cropping.

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 03:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

What could be wrong? Better knowledge of the camera settings, better lens, some lithium batteries in the 360 Flash unit....reading the manual once in a while...and understanding what it all means......

There are so many factors involved that no one answer will suffice. The K5 is an excellent camera, and the 360 Flash has served me very well...in fact better than my 540 unit.

My K5IIs is tons better than my old K5 but if you don't use it to its full advantage, no better than the K5. You only have to look at the K5 photo threads here or the K5iiS photo threads to know that you are doing something wrong? There are plenty here to help you, take advantage of it!

Best Regards!
Rupert,
I am not exactly new to photgraphy! I have used everything to Speed graphics, TLR, 35mm for many years.
And yes I have read the manuals, not cover to cover but certainly a fair amount of times.
For all 3 of my Pentaxes.
Also my closing comment was what was I doing wrong. I must have overlooked something obvious!
I have tried many different setting over time with little joy.
Also I should mention I use the Anti-Shake almost all the time!!!! (I'm old and vibrate significantly...).
A hint of where to start may help!. I use the P mode most of the time Green when I am lazy!
Thanks....

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 03:15 PM ----------

Hi again,
Tonight I MAY have an opportunity to take some baby pictures!
I will post results if there are any. I will be using the AF360.... with a diffuser and fresh eneloops.
either on or off camera.
K5 with 18-55 ALII.
(This was the lens that was tested as being a major improvement over the original 18-55 AL, that I got with K-100D.)
Thank God for spell check!
R
08-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by rouds39 Quote
Also my closing comment was what was I doing wrong.
I saw that and responded...you probably know more than I do, but it never hurts to cover the bases. I make about one or two mistakes a minute when I shoot, but the camera seldom does.

How do your Bigma shots turn out? If they are decent, it may be the 18-55 lens that is the problem, as Norm pointed out?

Having owned a few Ltd lenses, I would say the lens is the biggest factor no matter what body is used. There is no free ride when it comes to lenses, most often. The best results are with the best lenses...that's been my personal experience. However, I can even get bad results from a great lens...and have fairly often!

Best Regards!
08-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I saw that and responded...you probably know more than I do, but it never hurts to cover the bases. I make about one or two mistakes a minute when I shoot, but the camera seldom does.

How do your Bigma shots turn out? If they are decent, it may be the 18-55 lens that is the problem, as Norm pointed out?

Having owned a few Ltd lenses, I would say the lens is the biggest factor no matter what body is used. There is no free ride when it comes to lenses, most often. The best results are with the best lenses...that's been my personal experience. However, I can even get bad results from a great lens...and have fairly often!

Best Regards!
Rupert,
They always said, "Don't worry about the mega-pixels, get good glass!
Big Ma works well! Tripod pays handsomely. I also like the Tamron.
Again, the normal lens isn't that bad, maybe if you make super large prints which I don't!
Also the monitor restricts the resolution a lot! A 6mp picture will never do justice on a 1200x800 monitor!
My issue with the 18-55 (Tamron too?) is it seems to front focus, I have yet to figure out an easy way to see what it actually does.
This may be a big part of my problem. Also how I have the setup set up.
That's why I asked if there was a good beginning point for that.
Part of my setup: Auto focus and center weighted exposure.
08-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Learning the focus points in the camera is half the technique. I use center point for pretty much everything, and learning how to use that one point makes a big difference. Yes, you can hunt in a crowded area but that's how you learn.

If you want to look for a nice normalish lens for not a vast amount of money look for Sigma's 30mm or 28mm EX series lenses. They're really nice though they're not small.
Plus, they're fast should you need to shoot at f1.8.
09-18-2015, 05:02 AM   #15

I think some of this is ccd vs cmos. There is something about the crisp nature of the ccd renderings.

I own a K5......it takes tremendous photos and is a much more versatile tool than the older ccd Pentax DSLR's (as the newer models are to the K5).

But when the light is good and all other things equal, most often my OLD *istDL takes a more appealing shot than does the K5.