Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 shutter release failure with manual zooms.

So I had some free time today and I was busy mounting ancient K and A mount zoom lenses on my K-5 (as one does) and seeing how they performed, and I encountered inexplicable failures of the shutter to discharge. The culprits are a K-mount Vivitar 80-200 f/4 and a KA-mount Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6. Most but not all of the failures occurred at the long end. I was shooting in M mode for the Vivitar, Av for the Sigma. The camera would eventually fire if I mashed the button sufficient times, but it was very unpredictable and not the sort of thing I want to happen when that once in a lifetime shot comes along.

I immediately threw on a DA lens (the 35 macro) and clicked it five or six times and everything was sweet.

I have been using Takumars and other old primes for months now, so I've long since changed the aperture-ring option - it isn't that, or the things wouldn't have fired at all. The Sigma was definitely talking to the camera - I was able to control the aperture through the camera just fine. Just what the heck IS happening here?

Oh well, at least I have two film bodies to work with these old zooms!

08-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Try check your catch in focus if it is turned on. Try using the problem lenses with cif turned off
08-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
Try check your catch in focus if it is turned on. Try using the problem lenses with cif turned off
I was going to suggest the same thing. It is something that I have goofed on myself. Not exactly the same situation but close.
08-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

similar to lakai's suggestion - did you have the camera set to manual focus? If you had it set to auto focus I assume you didn't quite have it in focus. As lakai says this would be the catch in focus. It won't take picture unless it is perfectly in focus. Which is very useful. And if you want the best of both worlds - catch in focus and the ability to take the photo when you want - you can use the AF button to cancel the need to be in focus so you can take the short any time.

08-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
did you have the camera set to manual focus?
What he said.

Steve
08-12-2015, 03:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
You picked it correctly - that was the issue.

One thing I neglected to mention before is that the little red square in the viewfinder centre was glowing for confirmation and it still wouldn't fire, BUT... and here is the big BUT... at the time and place I was taking the sample shots, there was a lot of glare and flare, and this Sigma lens suffered horribly. I'm wondering if that wasn't throwing things off somehow. In any case, the problem is solved. Thanks, all.
08-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
the little red square in the viewfinder centre was glowing for confirmation and it still wouldn't fire,
The red square only indicates the AF system is active and focus point being used. Confirmation is the green hexagon below the screen.

Steve
08-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The red square only indicates the AF system is active and focus point being used. Confirmation is the green hexagon below the screen.

This should be a sticky in the beginners/troubleshooting section. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the difference between the two.

Last edited by paulh; 08-12-2015 at 10:43 AM.
08-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Acknowledged. Thank you.