Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Should I know?

My new to me K-5 arrives today after a few years with a K10D. What should I know about getting the most out of the K5? I realize this is a bit broad, but wondering if people have specific advice about settings etc.

09-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RTFM is the most important
09-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think a lot will be the same as K10D, just the photos should have more detail, less noise, camera should be a little faster..
Regarding settings, things like metering and AF haven't changed very much. Metering Center weighted, AF.S, WB to auto (or daylight, tungsten, CTE depending on your needs). If you shoot raw, disable the jpeg processing things (like distortion correction, CA correction,..) as these things slow down the image processing a little.
If you haven't yet, you might want to try decoupling shutter and AF. To do this, just customize the AE-L button so that it triggers AF, and not the shutter half press. This means you focus with your thumb, but only when you really want to, not every time you take a photo.
Also, I like the customize the Menu colors to red, especially when shooting in low light. Its less intrusive but still clear.
Oh, and check the firmware version. You might want to update it to the latest version. Make sure your battery is fully charged and functioning before you start this.
If you have a smart phone, you might want to download a pdf version of the camera manual. That way you always have it with you and can easily "search" for keywords

Edit: You might also like this, from back in the day: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k5/walkthrough.html#recommended
Oh, and congratulations and good luck!
09-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You may not like it at first...the images are very different than the K10D as I recall. I suggest you use it heavily for the first few days and once used to the differences you will appreciate the much better high ISO quality over the K10D.

I would try the TAv setting, since the K5 is capable at high ISO settings and let the K5 set the ISO while you set the aperture and speed. Very handy setting for changing light conditions.

You can get some decent shots even in the 6400 range that you seldom if ever got with the K10D.

The best advice is to take a lot of shots and learn the potentials of the K5 series of cameras.

Good Luck! & Regards!

09-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made that jump a few years ago. You'll just need some time to get used to the button layout, and the removal of the SR toggle. That's on the quick menu, so it's not a really big deal. Back-button AF is great, you'll like that. I just use the AF button on the back.

Set the color menu to neutral, vibrant overvalues reds. If you shoot RAW it won't matter.
09-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The ergonomics are different. Get used to that.

You lose the SR physical switch...annoying.

I think the whole status screen is different (or completely new) -- first thing I do is get rid of it, but you may like it.

You have live view now, so explore what you can do with that.

You can save several different sets of user settings.

The sensor is quite different, so check out what you can do with higher ISOs, etc.

If you use manual lenses (non-A K-mount or adapted m42s), there are some differences, but I need another cup of coffee to remember what they are.

I think most of the basics are mainly the same or similar...if you are looking for "best jpeg settings" and such, someone else will have advice as I shoot RAW and just set to "natural". (I think I turn up saturation or sharpness, can't remember.)
09-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Forget that! Real men do not need manuals, maps, or other directions, they are just born with the natural ability to figure things out. FS is only trying to trick you into wasting a lot of time when you could be out making mistakes....I mean shooting wonderful photos!

Regards!

09-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I am pretty sure I have to buy TFM separately haha.

---------- Post added 09-04-15 at 08:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

If you use manual lenses (non-A K-mount or adapted m42s), there are some differences, but I need another cup of coffee to remember what they are.
I shoot manual lenses often and will be getting couple M42 lenses, so once you've had that coffee...

Last edited by Archimedes the Dog; 09-04-2015 at 08:37 AM.
09-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I am pretty sure I have to buy TFM separately haha.
If you're serious, you can download the pdf manual from Ricoh. Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteQuote:
I shoot manual lenses often and will be getting couple M42 lenses, so once you've had that coffee...
Seems to me around the K-7 or K-5 they changed something to do with stop-down metering/green button stuff. Or maybe Av mode would stop down on the K10d with a manual lens? (Now it doesn't -- a K lens without contacts will only stop down in Manual mode, period.) Can't remember...I know we've talked about it around here.
09-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If you're serious, you can download the pdf manual from Ricoh. Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Seems to me around the K-7 or K-5 they changed something to do with stop-down metering/green button stuff. Or maybe Av mode would stop down on the K10d with a manual lens? (Now it doesn't -- a K lens without contacts will only stop down in Manual mode, period.) Can't remember...I know we've talked about it around here.
Thanks for the link. I was going to get around to that at some point, sad there is no Magic lantern Guide because it was so much better for the K10D.

No, had to be in manual mode on the K10D, too. I shoot in manual mode a fair bit so no great shakes. I am used to it.

Thanks!
09-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link. I was going to get around to that at some point, sad there is no Magic lantern Guide because it was so much better for the K10D.

No, had to be in manual mode on the K10D, too. I shoot in manual mode a fair bit so no great shakes. I am used to it.
Well...there is something, but nothing major. The metering should be better...
09-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Showed up and this thing looks brand new, thanks, KEH, as usual.
09-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #13

Congratulations on your new camera. Make sure your firmware is updated. I bought a used one that had the first version firmware. It became a much better camera once updated.
09-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What should I know about getting the most out of the K5?
The K-5 review on Imaging Resource has a lot of information on the features of the camera. The review also highlights the user experience.

Pentax K-5 Review: Full Review

- Craig
09-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Congratulations on your new camera. Make sure your firmware is updated. I bought a used one that had the first version firmware. It became a much better camera once updated.
1.01, KEH failed me on that, though, they usually update. Thanks!