Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

K-5 IIs 'D' Range Settings - Do You Use It?

Hi Folks,

I am curious if anyone uses the dynamic range settings for highlight and shadow control.
I am aware that some folks do not so that they can reach 80 ISO.

I have played with it when I first bought the camera but I was not impressed. Probably because I was not using it correctly.

For the shadow correction there are 3 settings for low, medium and high.

Can the highlight correction be used with shadow correction?

Have you used it and if so under what circumstances and did it work for you?

Thanks for you time,
Steven

09-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you shoot raw, or jpeg?

Shadow correction only applies to jpegs, not the raw data. Highlight protection is different - it shoots at a lower ISO than is actually shown, and then it brightens the photo in post, but it tries not to overblow the highlights. It actually does shoot at ISO 100 or ISO 80, but just displays it as a higher number. Some people don't like the camera mucking with the numbers, but others like to use highlight protection, saying that it is better than just shooting at a lower ISO (underexposing) and raising the brightness in post.

I'd say, if you shoot jpeg, feel free to use them. They are especially useful in certain weather conditions, like shadow correction is great on bright sunny days with harsh shadows. Or highlight correction on hazy days.

And yes, you can select both of these at the same time. And even with HDR mode, I think. But I don't think this is necessarily a good idea. Ultimately, its up to the photographer to learn what each feature does, and then select the features they need to get the photo they want.
09-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've found both useful, and yes I agree with the previous points to use it with jpeg. Medium shadow setting seems best IMO. Be aware that these settings cause extra image processing to occur in the camera, so it slows down the display of the image in the LCD display after taking. This can cause people to wait and slows down the picture taking process, assuming you're taking repeated pictures quickly. So best practice if not needed and when shooting RAW only, is to switch them off.
09-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Do you shoot raw, or jpeg?

Shadow correction only applies to jpegs, not the raw data. Highlight protection is different - it shoots at a lower ISO than is actually shown, and then it brightens the photo in post, but it tries not to overblow the highlights. It actually does shoot at ISO 100 or ISO 80, but just displays it as a higher number. Some people don't like the camera mucking with the numbers, but others like to use highlight protection, saying that it is better than just shooting at a lower ISO (underexposing) and raising the brightness in post.

I'd say, if you shoot jpeg, feel free to use them. They are especially useful in certain weather conditions, like shadow correction is great on bright sunny days with harsh shadows. Or highlight correction on hazy days.

And yes, you can select both of these at the same time. And even with HDR mode, I think. But I don't think this is necessarily a good idea. Ultimately, its up to the photographer to learn what each feature does, and then select the features they need to get the photo they want.
Wow! Great information. Thank you.

I have the camera set Raw+JPEG but I delete the JPEG file when I put the files into Photoshops CS5 bridge and work in raw 99 44/100% of the time which explains why I was not impressed as I was most likely looking at the raw file.

I think I will continue playing around with it just to learn something new. Who knows? It may come in handy someday.

I have had the camera for about a year and I think it's one of Pentax's crowning achievements. I am guessing the K-3 series are great as well but this one has done everything that I have asked of it so far.

Thanks and have a good day,
Steven

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I've found both useful, and yes I agree with the previous points to use it with jpeg. Medium shadow setting seems best IMO. Be aware that these settings cause extra image processing to occur in the camera, so it slows down the display of the image in the LCD display after taking. This can cause people to wait and slows down the picture taking process, assuming you're taking repeated pictures quickly. So best practice if not needed and when shooting RAW only, is to switch them off.
Thanks for the additional information.

I only jpeg in a few instances and in order not to forget I keep the camera on raw+jpeg. The jpeg files are done under controlled circumstances so there will be no problem in waiting and I can see a valuable use in the shadow controll.

Thanks.
Steven

09-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K5IIs but seldom get an opportunity to use very low ISO settings. My findings have been that I get the best results by shooting a little on the dark side, ignoring the "expose to the right" and then using post processing to adjust the light as needed area by area. The K5IIs is wonderful in allowing dark areas to be lifted without harm, and by this method, I can avoid over exposure to bright areas, which are difficult or impossible to correct.

Some like brighter shots than I usually post, but my personal taste is on the darker side....kind of like Otis, but his dark side is much different in taste than mine!

One from yesterday that started dark and was lightened considerably......I shoot Raw+ but seldom use the Jpegs. SD cards are cheap, so why not!
Reds are destroyed rapidly if overexposed. The K5IIs will give nice realistic reds if you don't overexpose.....underexpose and work it up in processing.

Otis likes his shots a little brighter so all can see his "handsomeness". Not sure what he is trying to prove here...and not sure I want to know either?

Regards!