Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Card formatting

I wonder if anyone can help me.

When I take the memory card out of my camera ( K5iis ) to upload my photos the computer always seems to show a dialogue box stating "this card needs formatting".
If I connect the camera direct I can upload photos without a problem, apart from when I try to do it at work when the camera is never recognised, which is an issue but not the immediate problem.
I have emptied the card while in the camera, then inserted the card into a card reader and formatted it from the computer but then when inserted back in the camera it then demands that I format it immediately.

So the question is it possible to format the memory card in such a way that it is acceptable to both PC and Camera?

Thanks in advance

Keith

09-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be formatted in the camera not the computer.
09-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Or use SD Card Formatter
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/index.html
09-24-2015, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I never have these problems everyone reports on, since I have always formatted in camera, that's why I suggest OP do so.

09-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What card and what OS are you using?

The base format used by media is a *standard*!!
If the formatting was different between the computer and camera you could not read/write across devices.
In general it is myth propagated by people who should know better (i.e. name rhymes with Scott Melby) with such phrases as "I've never had a problem, but just in case I always format in camera"
That type of statement doesn't even make any logical sense!

Regarding pentax:
It does not matter if you format in camera or on the computer!

Regarding other bands:
Some camera brands include additional database files while formatting. The actual format is standard, but the camera may not operate without these additional files that are created only during in-camera formatting.

It is unlikely without some effort but be sure you do not, for instance, format a high capacity card in old FAT format. This could turn your 32GB card into a 2GB card. But the card should still be functional. But as far as the Pentax models, it does not mater if the card is formatted on your computer.

The card may be faulty or the OS may not be capable of understanding newer high capacity cards. (the latter being less likely)

As a start, I would use something like the SD Card formatter referenced above, or find 'f3write' (F3 by Digirati) which can test the card... and in that process potentially help knock out some bad spots.

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 04:23 PM ----------

As an off-the-wall question... this isn't a Eye-Fi SD card is it?
Generally they won't even show up if the card reader isn't fully capable of supplying the necessary power to the card. But I could believe all sorts of problem being possible.
Many SD card reader manufacturers cheat on supplied power capacity and can not support the power requirements of the EyeFi Card (or so they say).

If it is an EyeFi card, be sure to use their included card reader.
09-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by limpet Quote
When I take the memory card out of my camera ( K5iis ) to upload my photos the computer always seems to show a dialogue box stating "this card needs formatting".
If I connect the camera direct I can upload photos without a problem, apart from when I try to do it at work when the camera is never recognised, which is an issue but not the immediate problem.
I have emptied the card while in the camera, then inserted the card into a card reader and formatted it from the computer but then when inserted back in the camera it then demands that I format it immediately.
Keith
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
What I read is that the OP formats in the camera - it works. If done that way it is unrecognised by the computer. The OP then empties it and formats it in the card reader on the computer - which at that point allows it to be read by the computer - but no longer is recognised by the camera. Sounds like Catch-22 to me.

Keith, do you have any other cards to try? If it is just the one card - trash it and move on if the others work as expected.
09-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
Wow thanks for all the quick replies, very much appreciated.

The card came with the camera when I bought it from Adorama. It`s a Samsung 64Gb SDXC. OS is Windows 7

UncleVanya....Yes you are correct. I format in camera and then the PC can`t read it. I format in the PC and the camera wont accept it until it is formatted again. So I upload using the cable.

I think I will hunt around for another card to try and see how that goes.

Steve .....Thanks I will download that Card Formatter and give it try.

Photolady....Yes I think that is what I will stick to from now on if nothing else works.

amoringello.......Thanks for that post, lot`s of useful info to think about

09-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

I wonder if anyone can help me.

So the question is it possible to format the memory card in such a way that it is acceptable to both PC and Camera?

Thanks in advance

Keith
When I started shooting in RAW I began getting that same message in my computer under Windows 7 (64 bit) and using class 10 SD Cards. The first time I saw the message I got worried, even-though I was perfectly able to download all the pictures, so I downloaded some applications that would test the SD card and the card was perfect.

After closely checking that my card was ok and testing it with the various applications that I had downloaded, I became curious and inserted another card that had only JPGs and no raw files in it and for some strange reason I did not get the message.

The windows format message would appear anytime I inserted an SD card that contained RAW files in it so in the end, and after checking that all my cards where in good order, I got used to the message and continued to use my cards and pay no mind to the windows message.

After a recent upgrade to windows 10 I no longer get the windows format message when I insert my SD cards with RAW files.

BTW, I also use Linux and I never got any error message while under Linux.

As a final note, under Pentax it does not matter if you format your sd on the PC or on the camera itself but as a habit I normally format my SD card on the camera.
09-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

Try adding the Pentax Raw Codec (32bit)

RAW codec software for Windows Vista and Windows 7 (32 bit) | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

Or the Microsoft Camera Raw codec pack (64bit available)

Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) from Official Microsoft Download Center
09-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thank you for the info, didn't know there was a raw codec pack for windows 7 will download to my laptop since it's still on windows 7...On my main pc after the windows 10 upgrade I stopped getting the format message.
09-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

Have you tried using an SDHC card instead of SDXC? Some older computers (or card readers) don't like the XC cards.
09-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The card came with the camera when I bought it from Adorama. It`s a Samsung 64Gb SDXC. OS is Windows 7
Should be fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
Some older computers (or card readers) don't like the XC cards.
It might be the card reader. Many have problems with XC. I had to upgrade mine.

As for the formatting, this is a little more troublesome. The general rule about using the camera for formatting or the utility from the SD association (Steve Ledger's comment above) counts double. So does the general advice to always do a clean dismount/eject before removing the card from the reader.

Steve
09-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Different camera, Different OS, different card format,
But many years ago, with my first digital Point & Shoot, an Olympus, can't remember what the cards were called, but the really thin ones,
I deleted all the photos off it after downloading to my Mac, OS 8 or 9 of some flavor at the time,
After that, I had a useless card, could not reformat it, and could not get the camera to recognize it was in.
Had to replace the card.
Learned my lesson, always reformat in the camera,
Never have had trouble with any of my Macs recognizing SD cards from my Pentaxs though.
I've used both external and built in card readers.
09-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As for the formatting, this is a little more troublesome. The general rule about using the camera for formatting or the utility from the SD association (Steve Ledger's comment above) counts double. So does the general advice to always do a clean dismount/eject before removing the card from the reader.
Any idea why? FAT32 should be FAT32 should be FAT32... I'm lost as to why formatting in one device would be required. My experience (limited as it is) is that my K50 and K3 don't care where the card is formatted. And yet I hear this advice and see people seemingly having problems - it's odd and confusing as the standard is in fact a standard.
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think "Computer Standards" is an oxymoron

Wasn't RAW supposed to be RAW on all devices?
Yet we need updated software to make the Adobe products (who wrote the "standard") with each new camera, even from the same camera manufacturer.
There are lots of other examples