Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Noob with K-5iis

I just got my K-5iis I got it here from one forum member, I am not used to "higher end bodies" as I tend to use, K-x, and K-30 models, now can can someone enlighten me on how to crop/processed the photos I took with this camera, it seems that the camera does not allow me to do anything with the pictures (i.e. crop, rotate, add filters, etc.)

Thanks

EDIT: I found that the images that I am trying to crop were taken using my K-30. Geeesh, the trouble of using another camera.

Last edited by wed7; 09-28-2015 at 07:49 PM.
09-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you can do any of that in camera, you certainly can on your computer with dozens of different software packages.

I suggest you buy this digital book to learn your K5IIs - Pentax K-5 e-book
09-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
but in my K-30 I can do those,
09-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

I believe the K30 was a entry level DSLR for beginners and the K5's for more experienced users who don't need hand holding with scenes etc.

QuoteQuote:
The K-5 II is not so great for: action photography, video, and beginners
Who is the K-5 IIs for? Enthusiast photographers who understand the risks associated with a filterless sensor design
From - Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

09-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are viewing the file in playback mode, can't you access filters by pressing one of the 4-way controllers? Maybe down? That's what does it on the K-3. My K5 is boxed up but I assume it is similar.
09-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I just got my K-5iis I got it here from one forum member, I am not used to "higher end bodies" as I tend to use, K-x, and K-30 models, now can can someone enlighten me on how to crop/processed the photos I took with this camera, it seems that the camera does not allow me to do anything with the pictures (i.e. crop, rotate, add filters, etc.)

Thanks

EDIT: I found that the images that I am trying to crop were taken using my K-30. Geeesh, the trouble of using another camera.
In-camera retouching can be accessed by pressing the down directional button in playback mode. Same exact interface as the K-30

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rodney9 Quote
I believe the K30 was a entry level DSLR for beginners and the K5's for more experienced users who don't need hand holding with scenes etc.

From - Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

It is not about the scene/modes, in this case I am using the same SD card and I am trying to crop the image that I took with my K-30 in the K5-iis.

And yes, it is the same using the 4-way pad (the down button) just like my K-30
09-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

Sorry I was wrong, I learnt something today.

09-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Are you shooting in RAW mode?
You can't apply cropping or some other 'fun' filters to RAWs, only jpegs.

You can process the RAWs to jpeg in camera and THEN apply the jpeg editing tools.
09-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
JPEGs, I use the RAW button when I want to...
09-28-2015, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
It is not about the scene/modes, in this case I am using the same SD card and I am trying to crop the image that I took with my K-30 in the K5-iis.
Like I said, try pressing the down button while viewing the desired image in playback mode.

There may be some incompatibilities when editing files taken with another camera, so just keep that in mind.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #12

I agree with Adam, I think you'll have trouble using one camera to edit a photo taken with another camera.
09-29-2015, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Except for emergencies, I strongly suggest computer editing on one of the many, many, available programs, many are free.

This is a great and fun simple program that does lots of the things you desire, and more....and it's free! PhotoScape : Free Photo Editing Software (Photo Editor) Download

Editing in camera on the tiny screen is like cooking Thanksgiving dinner on your little sisters toy dinnerware set. You can do it, but why?

Regards!