Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My professional needs aren't sufficiently critical that I must always have a backup camera (the department has one, though it's nowhere near as good IMO), so if it ever died I'd be able to do without while I waited for its replacement to arrive.

As far as flashes are concerned, I considered a ring flash for the macro work I do, but it's not needed often enough and the onboard works well enough with the short 35mm DA macro. I've got an older Pentax flash (AF200Sa if I remember correctly), and this is both safe for my camera (I've had the trigger voltage checked) and powerful enough for my purposes if the onboard doesn't cut it. For the time being, I'm set. When I eventually upgrade/replace it, I'll probably look for some sort of body-plus-flash combo deal depending on what I upgrade to.

Hopefully the K-5 will see me through to a second-generation full-frame pitched at the enthusiast/prosumer market with lower cost, pop-up flash, and all the important stuff (P, Tv, Av, M, selectable crop mode) but none of the fancy gimmicks (GPS, pixel shift, whatever else they introduce*).

* = if the "whatever else" is an uncrippled K mount, though, that might change things.

10-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
So, I've had mine since 2012 and the shutter's closing in on 10,000 clicks this week (probably passed it already, actually, because there were plenty of shots I've deleted in-camera for complete and utter fail, so IMGP9981 doesn't tell the full story). And so I got to thinking, how high can a well-cared-for K-5 go before it dies through over-use?

I might add that I started the year with about three and a half thousand of those shots, and have piled on the other six thousand since. Sure, I have LBA, but you can't say they're not getting used!
Mine is rocking at around 90,000 clicks (possibly much more with all of the deleted in-camera wasted shots, such as you did).
Also, this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/288803-life-expectancy-k5.html

Cheers!
10-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I started with a K10D in 2006, upgraded to K-5 in 2011 and K-3 in 2014. All three cameras still going strong but the K10D gets very limited use these days. If you take care of it I would think these modern cameras could go 10 years or more. I had a SF10 film body that lasted 20 years before it stopped working and was not worth repairing. The build quality of the SF10 was nowhere as good as the current digitals, especially the K-5 and K-3 so I would think they should be good for a long time.