Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help, my K5 has lost count!!!

I had just passed the magic ten thousand barrier and renamed the file leaders to IMG1**** to avoid clashes. I was up to IMG10158.

Then I had to change memory cards, and for some reason it's writing the numbers as IMG194XX all over again. The reason for changing the cards is because the other card has some pictures that must not leave my workplace (medical confidentiality issues), and they were in the old sequence, but I can't understand why the camera has suddenly gone backwards, as it were - surely it should have kept writing them in sequence?

This means I'm coming up on the roll-over AGAIN, but I'm not actually anywhere near twenty thousand. Is there a way of forcing it to jump the gap and picking up again in the low ten thousands? Or am I stuck with having to roll over to IMG20000 well ahead of time?

10-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What is the shutter count (take a new picture for this)?
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
10-20-2015, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The camera takes the file name of the most recent image on the card, then adds one to it. So if you snap a photo and rename it, you can force the file naming to resume at whatever you named the file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The important parts:

CameraPENTAX K-5Manufature Date2011:05:04Shutter Count10,057It's actually one more than that, but I didn't want to upload the next pic b/c privacy concerns (just in case).

---------- Post added 20-10-15 at 20:29 ----------

Question: how do I rename it? In camera or on laptop?

10-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On your computer.
Just (if on Windows or Mac or Linux (GUI) or Chromebook) right-click and rename.
10-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried. Didn't work. Will try again tomorrow when second backup is complete and I can safely format both cards.
10-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried again. Didn't work. Formatted the card, renumbered the first pic, and it's still picking up from 9559 or thereabouts (prefix IMG1----.jpg).

I wonder what a firmware update will do.
10-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have renamed my files to IMGX to distinguish them while the counter re-advances to its previous point. In the meantime, I shall do a firmware upgrade and see if that makes a difference.

08-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
AAAAAARGH! It's happened again!

It's clear why - the camera looks only at those last four digits, and if that four digit number on card A is lower than the number on card B and you insert card B, it continues from card B's number!!!

Time to rename the prefix until it catches up again, I suppose...

---------- Post added 15-08-16 at 16:01 ----------

Okay, I know how to do it. Previous was IMX22232 (or to split it up into user defined vs camera counted symbols, IMX2-2232

The card I put in had an IMG1-7917, so the camera picked up at IMX2-7918.

So what I did was to format an unused card, take a scratch picture on it, and rename it IMX2-9998. It wasn't much work after that to force it to clock-over to IMX2-0001.

Then I just put the original card back in and it jumped back into sequence at IMX2-2233.

Problem solved!!!

Last edited by pathdoc; 08-15-2016 at 11:33 AM.
08-30-2016, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

In the Settings page 5 menu, there's an item called Memory. On the second page of that, there's an item called File No. Uncheck that and your camera will forget the next file number in the sequence, and start back with 0001. So when a different card makes it jump ahead, uncheck the box, format a card, take a shot, then rename that file on a computer to the correct sequence number. Go back into the camera menu Memory setting and reset the check in File No. Put the card with the resequenced image in the camera and the next shot should be numbered correctly.
09-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In the Settings page 5 menu, there's an item called Memory. On the second page of that, there's an item called File No. Uncheck that and your camera will forget the next file number in the sequence, and start back with 0001. So when a different card makes it jump ahead, uncheck the box, format a card, take a shot, then rename that file on a computer to the correct sequence number. Go back into the camera menu Memory setting and reset the check in File No. Put the card with the resequenced image in the camera and the next shot should be numbered correctly.
Many thanks for that; I'll try it next time this happens.

I keep my work and play cards separate so the icky graphic photos of dead people and cancerous organs stay in my office and aren't available to the kids, and it's usually putting the "work" card in that causes the problems. So I reckon the trick should still work if I take that empty 0001 shot on a blank card and then put the safe, "play" card back in for it to pick up from there.