Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 and a 64gb Sandisk SDXC problem

So for Christmas I received a nice big 64gb card so that I could keep editing as far away from as possible! . But problem is My K-5 is getting an error that says cannot use this card when I attempted to use it today. I just opened it up today also. Do I have to update its firmware? Or is the card bad?

Thanks!

12-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
So for Christmas I received a nice big 64gb card so that I could keep editing as far away from as possible! . But problem is My K-5 is getting an error that says cannot use this card when I attempted to use it today. I just opened it up today also. Do I have to update its firmware? Or is the card bad?

Thanks!
Probably a firmware update would fix the problem; are you running the latest firmware on the k-5?
12-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Dunno. How do I check?
12-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, a firmware update might solve this one. Make sure you have a fully charged battery and an SD card that works normally in your camera. Format the SD card (note this deleted all info on it, so back up your photos). Then follow this guide:

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

You can find links to the firmware data on a link in the previous guide, or here: Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
The latest update includes all previous stuff so only get the latest one.

Note! There are cameras X-5, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs. They have different firmware updates! So make sure you get the one for your camera. The camera's model name is written on the camera.

Here are more instructions and discusion: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/215866-k-5-firmware-update-instructions.html

Dunno. How do I check?
Probably just hold the Menu button while turning the camera on? I don't have a K-5, so feel free to google a bit more or check the Manual. I think you can find a pdf version of the manual online, if you want. You can then just put it on your smartphone and always have it with you. Its easy to search.

Or is the card bad?
Hopefully the card is okay. Make sure it doesn't have any "lock" button engaged. You can check how well it works by trying it in another device, like with your computer. But start with the firmware update. After the firmware update, try formatting the new SD card in-camera, as that formats it in the way that is best for the camera

12-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Just formatted! I'm now getting 22 frames straight for continuous shooting! I was running firmware 1.00 . Obviously KEH didn't update the firmware and neither did the past owner lollol. All good now Thanks everybody!
12-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So it works now? I just got a K-5 and did some research on it, I thought I read that the best it can do with a firmware update was a 32GB SDXC card. Maybe the page needed updating.
12-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah works like a charm now. All 64gb makes me not have to edit forever now!!!

12-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah works like a charm now. All 64gb makes me not have to edit forever now!!!
Not sure what you mean by this - Do you plan on storing your photos on your SD card?? If so, not a good idea!
12-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
No. No. lol. I usually shoot until my card is full and then edit. I can't stand editing so I put it off as long as I can.