Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TTL on K5 not on K3

I read somewhere that one feature that is missing on the K3, but is on the K5 is TTL metering. This might come in handy when using tubes for Macro or certain type of flash photography, however I'm not sure how to activate it ?

01-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No.

How I wish it were so, but no. I don't think there's been a true TTL DSLR from Pentax since the *ist series.

I have an AF080C ring flash with TTL capability and a K-5 and I can tell you right now, TTL's a no-go on the K-5.
01-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I read somewhere that one feature that is missing on the K3, but is on the K5 is TTL metering. This might come in handy when using tubes for Macro or certain type of flash photography, however I'm not sure how to activate it ?
All Pentax cameras have TTL metering. That is "Through The Lens" metering. Not confusing this with TTL and P-TTL flash.

With Pentax extension tubes, because there are no electrical contacts to pass signals through, they work as if a pre A-series lens (without the A aperture contact) is present. You would use them in Av or M mode as per any pre A-series lens.

There is no change from the K-5 series to the K-3 series in this regard.

Regards

Chris
01-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm a bit confused about what exactly you're referring to .... ? Is it the old film era automatic flash metering system ? This could also be termed 'off the film plane' because it used a sensor that read reflected light from the film which cut the flash output when enough light was seen. But just like P-TTL, and normal ambient light metering, it uses light coming 'through the lens' for the purpose of metering.

Its not really related to using macro tubes etc as far as I can understand it ....