Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5II in the cold

How well does your K-5II hold up in the cold ? I took my camera out last week in -10 degrees weather and the battery started draining kind of fast.

01-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's how batteries are, unfortunately. They won't last as long in cold ambient temperatures, but you should still be able to get plenty of shots on a full charge.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2016, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you can keep the battery in your pocket until you start shooting so that it lasts a bit longer
01-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Make sure you purchase an extra battery or two and always carry the extra one! I have four and rotate them and seems to keep them fresh and once they show sighs of lacking charge
I discard them.
Was shooting last weekend -27degrees with the wind chill, fresh battery to start with and was blinking low after a mile hike. Had a warm replacement and was good to go, in extreme weather put a battery in your inside pocket and alot of times I will put a hand warmer in as well and really helps with battery life. You can also put them in your camera bag if you carry in to your shoot. Bottom line cold temperatures are hard on everything including batteries!

01-19-2016, 11:21 PM   #5

Besides the battery issue though, the camera works great in cold temps. I have used mine down to about 12-14 degrees air temperature. It worked without a problem. I was in a field near my house, so it didn't matter if the battery drained.
01-20-2016, 04:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always keep an extra battery or two in an inner pocket. The camera is fine in the cold weather, but the batteries do drain a lot faster than usual.

01-20-2016, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The batteries drain faster, but its not a huge problem before -20C or so. I have not used live view in cold weather yet, but I suspect the LCD will get slow as well. Liquid crystals doesn't freeze over at -20C but they get much more viscous.

01-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Make sure that the batteries are fully charged before going out in cold weather. Don't rely on the cameras indicator. What might look like fully charged in the camera can in reality be only half charged (or less).
02-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #9

Yesterday morning I took my K5 w/16-45 lens out for several hours in single digit (F) temps with strong winds and blowing snow (snowshoeing at 12,000-13,000 feet in Colorado). Had it exposed on a monopod the entire time and took over 100 photos. No noticeable abnormal battery drainage and never needed to replace it.

My friend had his Sony SLT A99 (an outstanding camera otherwise) and it started draining batteries quickly. Not sure how many he went through, but he brought 5!

I paid $300 for my barely used K5 and couldn't be happier with its entire performance.
03-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Well, I just had an accident about 2 hours ago. I didn't bring it out in the cold but I accidentally dropped it on solid concrete. The battery grip was scratched and also the side of the camera's grip near the shutter button. This camera is really well built. The darn thing still functions. Im really glad i chose Pentax.
04-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My camera has hit a rock..

The rear LCD was sluggish lighting up after it had been in -15 C long enough to be thoroughly chilled. This was shortly after it bit that rock. The rock was displaced from its home in sand so not as hard on the camera as concrete. No troubles for 3 yrs after that..
04-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
My camera has hit a rock..

The rear LCD was sluggish lighting up after it had been in -15 C long enough to be thoroughly chilled. This was shortly after it bit that rock. The rock was displaced from its home in sand so not as hard on the camera as concrete. No troubles for 3 yrs after that..
You should teach your camera some manners. Hitting rocks is not polite behavior.

I'm thankful to never experience a dropped camera.. but I have taken my K-5II out in below freezing temperature (ice storm). After about an hour or so the on/off switch got really stiff but it otherwise functioned nicely. The weather sealing is very nice to have.
04-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the drop was caused by the Arca-type quick release on the tripod head. I hadn't used it in cold weather before. I would tighten it felt as snug as when I used it in warmer weather. In a short time, the clamp would loosen. I figure the grease was thick and cold. After a bit, it loosened up. I don't know if it was grease-related and maybe it is specific to the head, but it is a trouble I experience in cold weather... watch out for Arca in cold weather without safety pin/clip