Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5IIs or K3 ?

I have the K-01, K5II, K30 & K50 along with some of the best lenses Pentax makes. I am still not happy with the image quality/sharpness my cameras produce. Should I purchase the K5IIs or K3 ?

02-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I am still not happy with the image quality/sharpness my cameras produce.
Um, what? I have DFA 100mm on K-01 and it is pixel-sharp, full of detail. So, no offense, but without sample photos with specific problems, I would blame this one on user error.

Should I purchase the K5IIs or K3 ?
If all the cameras you listed are not enough, sell everything and get 645Z. Or maybe just wait for K-1, so you can keep K-mount lenses. K-3II has pretty good pixel shift function that might make sense. Depends on budget and needs, though.
02-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
depends on how much money you want to spend. K3 is more expensive than K5iis, but you can by K3 new, K5iis new is the same price as K3 new because it's discontinued, meaning "rare".
K3 is 24 mp while K5iis is 16mp. Image quality is pretty much the same. I do have a used k5iis for sale so I would say, buy the K5iis. haha :v biased opinion ftw
02-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Closed Account

With good form and good glass, both of those cameras are a slight step up due to the lack of AA filter, but honestly speaking, not such a jump that it would blow any of those cameras away. Every one of those machines can produce excellent images on all fronts. You should post some images that aren't making the grade, and see what folks think. There are lots of factors, especially with form, and front/back focusing of lenses. I've owned the K-50 and K-3, and both gave me plenty of great shots when my technique was on point.

02-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're looking for the best overall IQ, go for the K-3. See our in-depth review for plenty of samples and tests

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have both the K-5IIS and the K-3II. They are both excellent cameras. They both maintain amazing detail. The features of the K-3II such as pixel shift resolution, built in GPS/Astrotracer, 24 MP sensor, and AF performance are positives for it, being the newer model.
02-27-2016, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-01, K5II, K30 & K50 along with some of the best lenses Pentax makes. I am still not happy with the image quality/sharpness my cameras produce. Should I purchase the K5IIs or K3 ?
I am tempted to say go for the 645Z:-)

No, seriously you might want to post some examples with Exit data. I am sure you'll get some great advice how to improve the shots.
Another expensive camera is probably not the best move at this point. No doubt that the cameras you have are able to produce excellent results.

02-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You may not want to maintain all four cameras you have now. If you did possibly sell two of the ones you may not prize as much as the others, then you could possibly put that toward a newer, higher end system that you are interested in.
02-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

I can see on your profile, you have photos there.
Since I can easily see your granddaughters eyelashes, I don't think your camera is not sharp. It is possible the lenses you are using or your technique (hand held) are at fault.
It is possible to adjust the lens to allow for back focusing. To tell if you have a back focusing issue, you can try shooting with Live View instead. If your photos consistently come in sharper, you may have to dial in compensation for the lens, or have it repaired.
In my experience, it is rarely the Camera at fault.
02-27-2016, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am still not happy with the image quality/sharpness my cameras produce. Should I purchase the K5IIs or K3 ?
Please do not take this wrong, but if you are not getting good images with your current gear, throwing more money at the problem may not be the best answer. There is a marginal improvement from k-5II to k-5IIs but I seriously doubt it would be worth changing cameras for it. The k-3 is, IMHO, a step up in image quality from the k-5II or IIs but it is also much less forgiving. To make the k-3 shine your skills must be capable as well. Many of us found that we had become used to the k-5 series which seems to be fairly tolerant of small lapses in technique. The k-3 rudely showed us that being sloppy with it would not be tolerated.

If you are not happy with the current results perhaps try working with a mentor or find someone you respect to go over your images with you and point out where the faults are. In the long term, this effort might produce better return than just buying a new camera. YMMV of course, and please do not let this stop you from buying whatever you choose.
02-27-2016, 07:13 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Switch to Canikon. If you don't like the way your pictures are coming out with the K-5II, then there is no hope.
02-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry people's hackles are up.

Start with what you are having a problem with and some example shots.

The k-50 I had before my K-3 wasn't as sharp. The camera's focusing accuracy wasn't as good but I had trouble adjusting front / back focus consistently. The K3 I have seems to have a more accurate fit with my lenses. Additionally some focus challenges are easier to get to work with my k3.

However with shots that were at higher depth of field or better focus match to the lens the k50 made respectably sharp images that are difficult to immediately identify as "less" than the K-3.
02-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used both the K-3 and the K-5IIS. With the higher resolution of the K-3 comes more noise at high ISO. I have found that I actually prefer the image quality of the K-5IIS. Now maybe it is a technique issue on my part, but when I look at my photographs taken with the K-5IIS I just like them better. I have to figure user error can account for that some of the time, but not all of the time. I am about to put my K-3 up for sale.
02-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It doesn't matter which one you buy or have... you need to look more closely into why you are not happy with your shots.
02-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I have used both the K-3 and the K-5IIS. With the higher resolution of the K-3 comes more noise at high ISO. I have found that I actually prefer the image quality of the K-5IIS. Now maybe it is a technique issue on my part, but when I look at my photographs taken with the K-5IIS I just like them better. I have to figure user error can account for that some of the time, but not all of the time. I am about to put my K-3 up for sale.
Agreed on this. I loved my K-3 when it was bright out, but didn't like the noise when I had to dial the ISO up over 800. I briefly owned the KS-1, and while it wasn't a camera that was great to shoot for long outings, I really liked the balance between resolution/noise with that 20MP sensor. If I were to buy Pentax again, I would take a strong look at a KS-2 TBH.