Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Cancelling Self Timer?

This evening I was using the 2 second self timer on my K-5 to photograph the sunset. As a result I missed the chance to catch a bird flying across the face of the sun. Not exactly a disaster, but it made me wonder if it's possible to cancel the self timer and release the shutter immediately. Can it be done?

03-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can always power cycle the camera. You might still miss the shot that way, though. I'm not familiar with other ways but I'm sure others will chime in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think there is any nice way to cancel a timer, or during a long exposure (if you accidentally have in M mode with 30" exposure set or something). The only way is to turn camera off, then back on. And even then some process might continue (like dark frame NR, next bracketed shot, Im not exactly sure).
I don't know if turning camera off during such a process can ever cause damage, but it definitely doesn't feel nice. And it still takes some time, of course. Sorry about your missed shot, hope you get another chance. I think your camera has user modes, where you can pre-set a "fast photo of opportunity" mode, which has disabled timer, bracketing, and other slow things. I think some photographers already use their user/custom modes in that way
03-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At least on K-3 just press shutter again to cancel it early (in case you are in 12 second mode)... but it won't take the shot...

03-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies - it turns out that pressing the shutter doesn't do anything in either 2 or 12 second mode. But then I wouldn't be able to change the drive mode quickly enough anyway. Note to self - keep your eyes open!
03-18-2016, 03:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh, maybe its different for different cameras? Interesting.
03-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
I've just realised that I have a way forward - in future I'll use mirror lockup with my remote.

03-18-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IanG,

Do not feel bad. Several years ago in the days of film I was photographing a lunar eclipse. So I am just standing there watching the eclipse when I see a plane flying on a path that will lead it right across the moon. So I think to myself that it would make a pretty good photograph. Catch a path of the flashing lights right across the moon. I just stood there with my hand on the remote and watched the jet fly right in front of the moon without ever pressing the release. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't blame the camera for that one.
03-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi gaweidert

Thanks for the moral support!