Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never shoot video - now I have a question!

My K-5 says it can record 28 minutes of movie at Full HD (25) 1920x1080 Quality level **. But, the maximum length of movie it will shoot at any one time is 7 minutes and 5 seconds. However, the memory card, a Sandisk Ultra 16GB SDHC 30mb/s card can clearly store more than one 7 minute movie! At least 4, to be precise. So, what do I have to do to be able to shoot 28 minutes of movie?

This is what happens when you only ever shoot photos and not video!

04-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The SDHC filesystem only supports files up to 4Gb in size, and that is almost certainly the size of a 7-minute clip at full HD. The K-5 doesn't use as strong compression as later models like the K-3, so it can't record for quite as long at a time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam! That makes sense to me now. I'll just have to stop and start again. When I splice it all together, it will be fine anyway.
04-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #4

So it just stops the record after 7 minutes? Sounds rather silly, that it doesn't continue recording while just creating new files once the size limit is reached. Like other systems do. One still needs to combine the separate files later on, but you get a seamless clip out of it.

But, I guess, that Pentax really isn't meant for video enthusiasts.

04-08-2016, 02:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
So it just stops the record after 7 minutes? Sounds rather silly, that it doesn't continue recording while just creating new files once the size limit is reached. Like other systems do. One still needs to combine the separate files later on, but you get a seamless clip out of it.

Yes, it would have been nice if it carried on, but unfortunately not. This is my first attempt at video, so lots to learn!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-08-2016 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Spelling.
04-08-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The SDHC filesystem only supports files up to 4Gb in size, and that is almost certainly the size of a 7-minute clip at full HD. The K-5 doesn't use as strong compression as later models like the K-3, so it can't record for quite as long at a time.
As Adam says with SDHC card the files are limited to 4GB in size. Perhaps if you tried an SDXC card you would get the larger file size you are looking for.

Regards

Chris
04-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Right. Pentax makes DSLRs. Video cameras are a much better choice for video enthusiasts; just as DSLRs are a better choice than video cameras for still photography enthusiasts. You can spread butter with a screwdriver and back out a screw with a butter knife, but results almost always better when you use a dedicated tool.

04-08-2016, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. Pentax makes DSLRs. Video cameras are a much better choice for video enthusiasts; just as DSLRs are a better choice than video cameras for still photography enthusiasts. You can spread butter with a screwdriver and back out a screw with a butter knife, but results almost always better when you use a dedicated tool.
That's not much of a rule nowadays. Unless you're talking high-budget movie and commercial work. I'd say we do over 90% of our (professional) video productions using DSLRs like EOS 5Ds and such. Most customers just won't cough up the budget for a RED or ALEXA anymore. Their quality is indisputable, but for most film work you really don't need it.

Just as one uses multicopters for aerial takes nowadays, rather than helicopters. It's way cheaper, more flexible, and for "getting it done" it's usually good enough.

In food terms, if you will, a spork might not be perfect for either soup or spaghetti. It doesn't have style either. But it will get the job done without ruining your new tie.

I love Pentax. But as I work in film, I find it quite annoying that it's not much use for it.

Last edited by Undot; 04-08-2016 at 06:07 AM.
04-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

In food terms, if you will, a spork might not be perfect for either soup or spaghetti. It doesn't have style either. But it will get the job done without ruining your new tie.
That's one I'll remember!