Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm planning on selling my Kr with the 18-55 lens. As a replacement I'm thinking of an 18-135 which I've seen at a really good price. I'm also thinking of selling the 70-300 as the long end is pretty soft and the 50-200 is almost as good, to me anyway. The Pentax-M 135 will probably go as well as I rarely use it. The DA 35 & the Tammy 90 are going nowhere, and I might look out for another 35-70 as they're pretty cheap. I've got to watch the budget though.

05-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

With the 18-135 on your camera, do you really need a 35-70?

The 135 M prime is about a stop and a half faster than the 18-135 at the long end. Think twice before you sell it, though as you've said, if you are only shedding dead weight then go for it.

Something you might want to consider is forsaking the 18-135, keeping the 18-55 and getting rid of the 50-200 and 70-300 both, plus the 135 prime, in exchange for the HD WR version of the 55-300. This is not that expensive at the moment AFAIK, and if your 18-55 is WR, it would give you a fully WR kit from 18-300mm in two lenses.

At the end of the day, though, 18-135mm may be all you need most of the time. In which case, yeah, the 18-135 is a good, versatile lens and it's nice being able to stand out in light snow or rain and snap away at near to middle distance in the knowledge that you are more or less fine (been there, done that, posted the pics on FB and the people in them liked them).
05-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for that pathdoc you leave me with an interesting choice. However, I've just been hit with an unexpected expense so everything, except the K5, is on hold for awhile.

I don't need the 35-70 I just really like it.
I'll stick the 135 M on the K5 when it arrives and have another look at it. I may have dumped it too soon.
My 18-55 isn't WR I'm afraid, just the bog standard kit lens that came with the Kr.

I've also already ordered a battery grip as I shoot a lot in portrait mode so it should help.

Last edited by Ray Hines; 05-10-2016 at 11:25 AM.
05-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #19

Original Poster
New lenses are now on indefinite hold as I've just been hit by VAT & Custom charges on the K5 I knew it was to good to be true.

05-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
New lenses are now on indefinite hold as I've just been hit by VAT & Custom charges on the K5 I knew it was to good to be true.
This is why I try to do my secondhand buying within my own borders when I possibly can, and as a walk-in to a physical store when I can't. Then I come home with the lens grafted onto the camera & carrying it like a tourist, and nobody asks any questions at all!

I share your pain, though. Customs and taxation have done unpleasant things to me.
05-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #21

Original Poster
I've had stuff from China before but usually quite cheap stuff, so no charges. VAT and Customs never crossed my mind. There is good news though "It'll be here tomorrow"
05-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

"It'll be here tomorrow"
https://youtu.be/Yop62wQH498?t=54s

05-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I used to have hair like that. Lol
05-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #24

Original Poster
It's arrived and it seems in good shape with everything working. Even the battery was fully charged. 😁 I'm getting used to the layout, and it's typical Pentax, very intuitive. I even bought a 3rd party battery grip, which I love, even with landscapes I'm often in portrait mode.

One thing that has surprised me is the size of the files. I usually shoot in RAW+ with an 8gig Eyefi card. That's not going to be enough, is it? Do any of you shoot in RAW+? If so do you drop the jpg quality to save room on the card? My shots usually go straight to my Samsung tablet which I carry in my camera bag. So far even the low quality jpgs look ok and would do for unprocessed Facebook uploads. I only ever process the RAW files.

Here's a 5 shot HDR taken in the garden, I haven't been anywhere interesting yet, using the custom mode. The shot was taken with the kit 18-55 as I'm testing all my lenses.

I'm off to Spain the end of next week, guess what's coming with me?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Do any of you shoot in RAW+? If so do you drop the jpg quality to save room on the card?
I just put the 8GB card with which I take my work pictures into my K-5 and formatted it in-camera. It tells me it has room for 161 shots. My Jpegs are set for highest quality at 16MP resolution. If you're the sort who likes to bang away madly and preserve everything, this is not for you. If you're the sort who kills second-rate pics on the fly, and/or you offload everything to the tablet on a regular basis, it might be OK. If you're the sort who can go out for an entire day, take five shots and have them all be keepers with dozens of likes/faves on Facebook and Flickr, you'll be fine.

In between these places, there is a grey area where the individual must decide where they stand and what to do. Given that (as far as I can tell) you are dumping all your pics to your tablet via the wifi card as they're being shot, what's to stop you from clearing the card as soon as it's full and just keeping on shooting?
05-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #26

Original Poster
The problem is that the eyefi card only transfers the jpgs so I'm still left with the RAW files on the card. I do dump unwanted pics as I go but for holidays I'm going to need more card space I think.

Last edited by Ray Hines; 05-13-2016 at 11:39 AM.
05-13-2016, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own 2 K5 cameras and a K5iis - for a total of three.
They are retired now, but they made me a professional.
The K5 is the camera that tipped the scales, brought me back, opened doors.
The K5iis will forever be my favorite dSLR camera from Pentax...although the K1 I just got might take it's place.
Great camera, enjoy it!

Here is an essay I did with my K5 back in the day.

http://www.forbinvisual.com/essays/wintergarden.html

Enjoy.

05-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #28

Original Poster
Some really nice images and a great story Lauren. I'm already enjoying the K5, it's a really great camera.
05-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some really nice images and a great story Lauren. I'm already enjoying the K5, it's a really great camera.
Thanks. Before the K5, I'd have to break out my 645, and go through the trouble of that film-based workflow if I wanted to print big.

Sure, I've had every Pentax dSLR flagship since the *ist-D, and they all had great image quality, but the K5 was above all the rest.

Before the K5, it was a magazine shoot here and there, or a newspaper assignment every once in a while.
I never felt the gear was up to the task of a professional workflow until the K5.

After the K5 - and the follow-up K3, I've never looked back on being a professional.

So yes, the K5 was the watershed camera - but I suppose maybe it was just me.
Who knows?
Pentax was there the whole way.
05-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Thanks. Before the K5, I'd have to break out my 645, and go through the trouble of that film-based workflow if I wanted to print big.

Sure, I've had every Pentax dSLR flagship since the *ist-D, and they all had great image quality, but the K5 was above all the rest.

Before the K5, it was a magazine shoot here and there, or a newspaper assignment every once in a while.
I never felt the gear was up to the task of a professional workflow until the K5.

After the K5 - and the follow-up K3, I've never looked back on being a professional.

So yes, the K5 was the watershed camera - but I suppose maybe it was just me.
Who knows?
Pentax was there the whole way.

The tools are no better than the workman who wields them.