Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 II and a Shutterboss -- which one?

Since Vello doesn't make a Shutterboss specifically for Pentax, I'm wondering if any of the models they do make function with the K-5 II?

I'm looking for a definitive answer - not 'it looks like it might based off the website' but people who are or have actually used it in conjunction with a K-5 or K-5 II (since I'll be spending money on one I'd like to know it is compatible)

Alternatively, I'm open to other suggestions for dedicated intervalometers in the ~50 dollar range (not smart phone related).

07-07-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one, not sure of the model number though. The only markings are "az1011" on the back and Vello on the front. I just checked my order on Amazon and that one is no longer available, but then I bought it in 2013.

Honestly, I do not see how any of them would NOT work fine as long as they have the correct sub-mini plug. There is nothing complicated about it, just a make / break switch.

This one looks identical to mine except it is marked 'version II': https://www.amazon.com/Vello-Shutterboss-Version-Remote-Connection/dp/B00GS8...lo+shutterboss
07-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have one, not sure of the model number though. The only markings are "az1011" on the back and Vello on the front. I just checked my order on Amazon and that one is no longer available, but then I bought it in 2013.

Honestly, I do not see how any of them would NOT work fine as long as they have the correct sub-mini plug. There is nothing complicated about it, just a make / break switch.

This one looks identical to mine except it is marked 'version II': https://www.amazon.com/Vello-Shutterboss-Version-Remote-Connection/dp/B00GS8...lo+shutterboss
Cool. Thanks!

Do you find it reliable?

The issue I have with the built in intervalometer is it tends to stop working randomly. I've never determined why as sometimes it functions for an hour+ solid, sometimes it works for only 10 minutes, still in the cycle but just stops taking photos. It is set up correctly (so not looking for troubleshooting) and happens on all my Pentax cameras. So I'm looking for a standalone option that hopefully just works.
07-09-2016, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Do you find it reliable?
I've never had any problems with it. I don't use it all the time of course but no issues. The only irritating thing with mine is that the display never turns off, there is no on/off switch. Which doesn't seem to matter much as the batteries have been in there continuously for over a year and it still works. Maybe they changed that in the new version.

Anyway, it has been reliable, works when I want it to. A bit hard to figure the programming, but if I used it every week probably that would not be an issue either.