Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 Exposure Adjust Button Sticking

Recently my K5 exposure adjust button has been sticking. When I press it, the exposure adjust function occurs as it should, but when I press it again to turn it off, the exposure adjust function remains on, which then prevents me from adjusting the aperture using the rear wheel. I can fiddle with the button a bit and get it to return to normal but that of course is not fixing the problem, and it will stick in the "on" position again later. It appears the problem is purely mechanical in nature in that the button is just sticking in the down ("on") position. When I get it unstuck, the camera performs correctly. Has anyone else had this issue, or a similar button issue, and what did you do about it? Thanks. Glenn

07-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I've had similar button problems on some electronics (not cameras). If I feel like the problem is gunk, then I use a small amount of water around the button, press it a few times, and then dry it off with a q-tip or small tissue. I don't know if I'd do this to my camera, but since it's supposed to be weather sealed, it probably wouldn't do any damage especially if the device were off and you let it dry. Proceed at your own risk with this solution....
07-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I've had similar button problems on some electronics (not cameras). If I feel like the problem is gunk, then I use a small amount of water around the button, press it a few times, and then dry it off with a q-tip or small tissue. I don't know if I'd do this to my camera, but since it's supposed to be weather sealed, it probably wouldn't do any damage especially if the device were off and you let it dry. Proceed at your own risk with this solution....
Thanks, most probably it is something like that. I'll proceed with caution and give it a try.
09-13-2016, 02:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Thanks, most probably it is something like that. I'll proceed with caution and give it a try.
Exact same issue on mine. Just gently poured hottish water over, waited a few minutes and it fixed it after pressing it a few times it seems as good as new.

Last edited by tigershoot; 09-13-2016 at 02:05 PM.
09-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tigershoot Quote
Exact same issue on mine. Just gently poured hottish water over, waited a few minutes and it fixed it.
Thanks for the good tip. I'll try that as well.