Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
You can probably get away with good photos without a tripod with your SR on. Learn about depth of field first. DOF is directly related to the lens you use. The aperture of the lens directly effects your DOF.

I've photographed seascapes just before sunrise. A tripod is essential for this because the light was so low. Once the sun came up, I didn't need my tripod.

Learn about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and last but certainly not least, exposure in that order is the way I would teach it.

I go along with this.
It would be an idea to get out and about with the camera, learn a bit about landscape photography (from the forums and other publications), find what the limitations are from your results and then worry about what else you might need.
All too soon you will have a selection of lenses, tripods, monopods, bean bags.......and a sidecar fitted to your cycle to carry all of it in. If you can afford it.

08-01-2016, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be not afraid!

The Pentax manuals are awful! Do not--I repeat: do not--"read" the manual: use it as a reference (in small doses, repeated as required--no more than twice daily.) The K-5IIs is a terrific camera and offers a ton of functionality which--if you're like me (and I gather you are)--you will never use. Take your time, shoot a lot, try out this function or that, read the forum about various ways you might use the camera functions to improve your photography, reference the manual as needed. Enjoy!
08-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Be not afraid!

The Pentax manuals are awful! Do not--I repeat: do not--"read" the manual: use it as a reference (in small doses, repeated as required--no more than twice daily.) The K-5IIs is a terrific camera and offers a ton of functionality which--if you're like me (and I gather you are)--you will never use. Take your time, shoot a lot, try out this function or that, read the forum about various ways you might use the camera functions to improve your photography, reference the manual as needed. Enjoy!
ha ha, yes i never normally bother with manuals but ive never seen one this big before,scary read lol
08-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mick2444 Quote
thanks bruce, my main interest would be landscape shots, i live in the hills on the welsh english border and cycle a lot the scenery is stunning rarely see another person, would a landscape photo need a tripod? or just rest the camera on the bike seat stone wall, fence etc mike
A tripod is a good thing for landscapes and will theoretically be better than Shake Reduction can achieve, providing you have a good tripod. A cheap flimsy one is worse than useless. Use the 2 second timer or remote release.to reduce vibrations and all will be well. Both these options turn off SR. Tripods are essential for long exposures and can ease the burden of hand-holding a heavy camera/lens combo. Get one with independently adjustable legs.

Sometimes however they get in the way, can be difficult to line up and can add weight if walking up hill. One option I have used is a small bean bag or rolled up jumper placed on a convenient rock or stump.

08-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
A tripod is a good thing for landscapes and will theoretically be better than Shake Reduction can achieve, providing you have a good tripod. A cheap flimsy one is worse than useless. Use the 2 second timer or remote release.to reduce vibrations and all will be well. Both these options turn off SR. Tripods are essential for long exposures and can ease the burden of hand-holding a heavy camera/lens combo. Get one with independently adjustable legs.

Sometimes however they get in the way, can be difficult to line up and can add weight if walking up hill. One option I have used is a small bean bag or rolled up jumper placed on a convenient rock or stump.
thanks, i like the idea of a bean bag and jumper, mike
08-01-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i live in the hills on the welsh english border and cycle a lot the scenery is stunning
I have watched several episodes of the TV show 'Hinterland' - the scenery is indeed stunning.

would a landscape photo need a tripod?
Whether or not you need to use a tripod on any kind of photo depends on the shutter speed chosen by you or the camera and the focal length of the lens you are using. For instance, if you are using a 50mm lens, the slowest shutter speed that would not require a tripod is 1/50th second. For a 200mm telephoto lens you would need 1/200th second or faster. This reciprocal ratio is a good rule of thumb. If you are using a zoom lens, then the slowest shutter speed without tripod would be the reciprocal of whatever focal length the lens is set to. You can always use a faster shutter speed; you (or the camera) will need to adjust the ISO speed or aperture setting to maintain proper exposure.

Having mentioned this focal length/shutter speed rule of thumb, it's only a general guideline. Modern Pentax cameras have a 'shake reduction' (SR) feature that helps eliminate blurred photos due to camera movement while the shutter is open. This feature allows you to use slower shutter speeds than the rule of thumb would recommend. If you use a bike seat or stone wall to help stabilize the camera, you will likely be able to shoot at some pretty slow shutter speeds (1/20th, 1/30th with a 50mm lens, 1/120th, 1/150th with a 200mm lens for example) and get good results. You might even be able to use slower speeds. If you ever do use a tripod, it's best to turn off the SR feature on the camera.

Congratulations on your K-5iis - it's on my Christmas wish list!
08-01-2016, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning!! Welcome to the Forum and to the K5IIs!

There is a better book than the manual. The manual explains the controls, not why you might use them. Try this... It covers the K5, K5II and K5IIsIt's an e-book. Over on the left hand side of the page, you can download a sample chapter of the book. Just put it on your computer's desk top and you can read it when ever. Also, it's going to take 6 hours for the battery to charge.

Yes, you can set the camera on anything to shoot. Sooner or later, especially with low light conditions, you will need a tripod. PS - the K5IIs is wonderful at night! An external shutter release will help immensely with or without a tripod.

08-01-2016, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks, i have just orderd a book _ understanding exposure by bryan peterson
Fantastic book that really helped me at the start. Congrats and welcome
08-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I have watched several episodes of the TV show 'Hinterland' - the scenery is indeed stunning.

Whether or not you need to use a tripod on any kind of photo depends on the shutter speed chosen by you or the camera and the focal length of the lens you are using. For instance, if you are using a 50mm lens, the slowest shutter speed that would not require a tripod is 1/50th second. For a 200mm telephoto lens you would need 1/200th second or faster. This reciprocal ratio is a good rule of thumb. If you are using a zoom lens, then the slowest shutter speed without tripod would be the reciprocal of whatever focal length the lens is set to. You can always use a faster shutter speed; you (or the camera) will need to adjust the ISO speed or aperture setting to maintain proper exposure.

Having mentioned this focal length/shutter speed rule of thumb, it's only a general guideline. Modern Pentax cameras have a 'shake reduction' (SR) feature that helps eliminate blurred photos due to camera movement while the shutter is open. This feature allows you to use slower shutter speeds than the rule of thumb would recommend. If you use a bike seat or stone wall to help stabilize the camera, you will likely be able to shoot at some pretty slow shutter speeds (1/20th, 1/30th with a 50mm lens, 1/120th, 1/150th with a 200mm lens for example) and get good results. You might even be able to use slower speeds. If you ever do use a tripod, it's best to turn off the SR feature on the camera.

Congratulations on your K-5iis - it's on my Christmas wish list!
have watched several episodes of the TV show 'Hinterland' - the scenery is indeed stunning. i see your from n carolina , The blue ridge mountains would be a place i would love to hike or cycle. have you been there ? great advice thanks

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/326988-k5iis-looks-bit-too...#ixzz4G5rXuvOO

---------- Post added 08-01-16 at 09:07 AM ----------

well i have it in my hands now and the battery is on charge, what a stunning piece of kit, it oozes quality just hope i can do it justice in a few months time. the 32g memory card should be here tomorrow. thanks for all the helpful advice, glad i found this friendly fantastic forum mike

Last edited by mick2444; 08-01-2016 at 08:48 AM.
08-01-2016, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The blue ridge mountains would be a place i would love to hike or cycle.
North Carolina has a lot of beautiful scenery. The state is 400 miles wide. It has mountains in the west, rolling hills Piedmont in the midlands, and coastal plain Savannah and beaches in the east. There are designated bike trails and parks throughout the state. My wife and I spent some vacation time in Banner Elk in the mountains-quite beautiful. There are scenic train rides available on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Highly recommended!
08-01-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try these ebooks also:
Pentax eBooks Now Available on Pentax Forums - Site News | PentaxForums.com
08-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
North Carolina has a lot of beautiful scenery. The state is 400 miles wide. It has mountains in the west, rolling hills Piedmont in the midlands, and coastal plain Savannah and beaches in the east. There are designated bike trails and parks throughout the state. My wife and I spent some vacation time in Banner Elk in the mountains-quite beautiful. There are scenic train rides available on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Highly recommended!
my dad worked in north carolina in the mid 1970s for 8 months, he was a textile fitter, he fitted the cotton spinning machines in a factory over there he used to correspond with the hotel owner he stayed at for a long time after, sounds like a lovely place to be
08-01-2016, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my dad worked in north carolina in the mid 1970s for 8 months, he was a textile fitter, he fitted the cotton spinning machines in a factory over there he used to correspond with the hotel owner he stayed at for a long time after, sounds like a lovely place to be
I have called this state home for nearly my entire life. I couldn't agree more.
08-01-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on your K-5II acquisition. It's an outstanding camera that you will grow with. I left my manual in the 24 hour reading room (bathroom) on a shelf for over a year. It was read cover to cover multiple times and some features forced me to create assignments to try them out!
08-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i will dive into the manual when i decide auto is not enough for me,its the only thing thats still in the packaging ha ha. i got the k511s after i looked at all the stunning pictures on this site this camera is capable of . the answers i have got after posting have given me confidence i made the right choice and some great settings to start shooting with. when i get the money and some experience i would really like the 15 mm Ltd lens for them wide shots when i find another hidden valley i have never been to . that lens is near the price i paid for the camera..