Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
First time owner of K5, need some help.

Been awhile since I owned a pentax and I picked up a K5 IIs off a forum member here.

I am trying to use a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 w/ DCR-250 for macro work.

Typically I would shoot Auto-ISO, control my Aperture via lens and set my shutter speed on the body, adjusting that as needed while shooting. It seems I can't do this with the K5? Maybe I am missing something but how would I go about Setting Auto-ISO and still having control over shutter speed?

TIA.

09-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need a pentax SMC-A then you can use TAv and other modes. With "K" and "M" series lenses you are limited to manual mode, Av will only work with open aperture ie f1.7 with your lens. This is the case with all the pentax dslr's not just the K5.
09-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To add to what marcus stated, the Green Button can get you settings that the camera estimates is correct, by stopping the lens down to the aperture you've selected on the lens ring.

I've an M lens and a K-5 II and I usually will use the Green Button once to start with a shoot and, assuming lighting hasn't changed, I will play with ISO and exposure time manually with checks of the images I take along the way to try and keep lighting about where I think it should be. I don't find it too hard; manual focus is what trips me up more.
09-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
To add to what marcus stated, the Green Button can get you settings that the camera estimates is correct, by stopping the lens down to the aperture you've selected on the lens ring.

I've an M lens and a K-5 II and I usually will use the Green Button once to start with a shoot and, assuming lighting hasn't changed, I will play with ISO and exposure time manually with checks of the images I take along the way to try and keep lighting about where I think it should be. I don't find it too hard; manual focus is what trips me up more.
Yeah, I guess I figured it out, but don't like it, seems very flawed. Very difficult to switch through settings when doing Macro with min time to change anything. This is why I prefer having Auto-ISO, I can then set my min shutter speed I know I will need for what I am shooting and I have to change nothing else.

---------- Post added 09-06-16 at 12:42 PM ----------

Also apparently I can't see what my DOF is going to be at any given Aperture? All I see in live view / vf is wide open.

09-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The "M" series of lenses don't have any way to communicate f-stop information to the camera body - that's why you need to use manual settings. You'll need to get one of the newer lenses (A, DA, F, FA etc) to use the auto-ISO feature. The Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 and f1.4 lenses are pretty reasonably priced.
09-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GalacticPhoto Quote
Also apparently I can't see what my DOF is going to be at any given Aperture?
You can use the DOF preview function by pushing the power-on switch past the "on" setting. The lens will momentarily stop down to your selected aperture. As stated by Chip, the old M and K lenses are from the film era, and have no electrical contacts to communicate with the body, thus the need for manual mode. The A-series lenses will allow you much more automation (except autofocus).
09-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
You can use the DOF preview function by pushing the power-on switch past the "on" setting. The lens will momentarily stop down to your selected aperture. As stated by Chip, the old M and K lenses are from the film era, and have no electrical contacts to communicate with the body, thus the need for manual mode. The A-series lenses will allow you much more automation (except autofocus).
Auto-ISO should still function in manual mode. I could use this lens on my A7r in manual with Auto-ISO, this seems more to be an issue with Pentax not doing things the right way.

09-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, find an A series lens and you can use it as you describe.

You can use your M in fully manual mode, you just need to do some work, like in the old days with manual cameras.
09-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, find an A series lens and you can use it as you describe.

You can use your M in fully manual mode, you just need to do some work, like in the old days with manual cameras.
Yeah I understand that, I just think that's a really cruddy way of doing things. I hope Pentax has fixed this with newer models?
09-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GalacticPhoto Quote
Auto-ISO should still function in manual mode. I could use this lens on my A7r in manual with Auto-ISO, this seems more to be an issue with Pentax not doing things the right way.
Actually it's because people want Manual to be Manual. Pentax has given auto-iso to the K-30/K-50 and I think the K-01, but people complained that wasn't really Manual. So they don't give it on the K5, K5ii, K3, etc. You can use other modes with auto-ISO which is what may be the issue - the OP may have had auto-ISO with a K-50 or K-30 and want to use that method again. Essentially as I understand it - he would like to set Aperture on the lens, then press green button and set Shutter speed (make adjustments if needed) and then allow AUTO ISO to float to keep the exposure accurate to what it was originally set to.

If I recall TAv is what approximates M with auto-ISO. Not sure if it works with green button.
09-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the easiest solution is to buy a newer lens. If you could sell your existing M 50 1.7 for something like an A or F 50 1.7, I think the cost delta should be somewhere around $75. Maybe better if you trade well. You could use the Marketplace here on this forum to help find another lens, either another Pentax 50 1.7 or something else that you want even more for your macro purposes.
09-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
I can still pull off shots this way, I just find it awkward, it's not the way it should be done. As far as finding another lens goes I'm not sure. The best macro setups tend to be reversed mounted lenses which is likely the way I will end up going.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you go reverse-mount macro then you are entirely in full manual stop-down mode, and while Av should work, I have found it is sometimes unpredictable.

For working with things like living insects, you really do need to either live with the M lens green button thing or trade up to at least an A lens - the A 50/1.7 has a particularly good name out of the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 trio, though it's also known for having a somewhat tetchy aperture ring that is prone to degrading over the years. Unless you're shooting it on film bodies also or (as you stated) planning to reverse it, put it on A and leave it there.

Just remember that reversing the lens and stopping down sucks away light like nothing on earth, and there will be focusing issues accordingly. Working with living subjects will cause you to have even worse ones.
09-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you go reverse-mount macro then you are entirely in full manual stop-down mode, and while Av should work, I have found it is sometimes unpredictable.

For working with things like living insects, you really do need to either live with the M lens green button thing or trade up to at least an A lens - the A 50/1.7 has a particularly good name out of the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 trio, though it's also known for having a somewhat tetchy aperture ring that is prone to degrading over the years. Unless you're shooting it on film bodies also or (as you stated) planning to reverse it, put it on A and leave it there.

Just remember that reversing the lens and stopping down sucks away light like nothing on earth, and there will be focusing issues accordingly. Working with living subjects will cause you to have even worse ones.
Yup, that's why you use a ringlight, flash & diffuser. Macro isn't new to me.
09-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What body did you use before?