Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5 Lens Release Button Fell Off???

Hi everyone ... I'm brand new here and to Pentax and I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm at a loss. Today, my first shoot ever with a client and my new but gently used Pentax K5 lens release button just FELL OFF in my hand as I was putting ON a new lens. I had taken off one, went to put the other on, and off this button just came in my hand and I'm thinking "that's not good". After first shoot I got into the car to inspect. I saw that you could pop it back on, which I did. Then I tried to switch lenses back and the lens wouldn't click into lock. Tried it several times, did not force, but turned it enough to where it should have clicked. So I went to try the other lens and I did hear a slight click. Off I went to shoot number two. Got to that photo shoot and was using the Pentax, then as the photoshoot went on, I noticed it seemed like the ISO and some other things were going a bit crazy. I just kept shooting as I could tell the photos were in focus BUT I knew my ISO was crazy high. Once I got home I downloaded and sure enough, VERY high ISO and very grainy photos out during the daytime. I then loosened the lens a little bit, and then went to tighten it back and it did make the obvious click this time. I then went to photo shoot number three. It did fine except, and maybe it's because I'm not used to this Pentax nor the lens I used, but I didn't get that crazy DOP and Bokeh I would have expected from a 90mm 2.8 It was there, but not near as strong as I would have thought from this lens.

I guess I have two questions. I can tell the little button is NOT going to hold. It's going to fall out again, that I can tell. So what do I do about this? Send it somewhere or take it to a camera repair shop possibly? Secondly, could this have affected my DOP and Bokeh today do you think? The fact that maybe the lens isn't making full contact with the camera? It was obvious today at the second shoot it wasn't making the right contact and I am sure it had to do with the lens release button and the clicking in place situation being iffy. I really am quite lost for words as I have never seen anything like this in my life. Can anyone help?

12-08-2016, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #2

See this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/189715-lens-release-button-replacement.html

and this one

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/285879-lens-release-button.html
12-08-2016, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry to hear you've had this problem, the two K5's I've had (still have one actually) did not suffer this, though there were a number of reports on the issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/164826-k...-fell-off.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/195946-yet-another-lens-re...-off-post.html

It's worth searching the forums when something odd happens, it's likely to have been discussed if it's a known issue like this one.

Tas
12-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both SO very much! I will go look through those posts right now. Most helpful and thank you

12-09-2016, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Happens all the time! They claim the new replacements are immune. Unfortunately, mine was repaired with the last of the old batch. But so far it's fine.
12-09-2016, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about this. I've had a K-5 since release (it says 'Hoya' on the base plate!) with no issues, lens release button or anything else. Good luck with the repair.
12-09-2016, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No issues yet with my K-5 release button (knock on wood)

Meeting clients to earn money with a camera demands having a back-up body, I should think.

Good luck.

12-09-2016, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had the same problem with my K-5. Paid to have it fixed and it happened again. The second time it happened I put the button back in place, then put black electrical tape completely over the button and on the body. Not the most elegant solution but it worked without problem.
12-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
No issues yet with my K-5 release button (knock on wood)

Meeting clients to earn money with a camera demands having a back-up body, I should think.

Good luck.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
camera demands
I just switched to Pentax a week ago. I have two Canon cameras that I shot simultaneously with. So no backup Pentax body but have backup cameras for sure

---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
Had the same problem with my K-5. Paid to have it fixed and it happened again. The second time it happened I put the button back in place, then put black electrical tape completely over the button and on the body. Not the most elegant solution but it worked without problem.
jrpower10 ... that's is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing HaHa! I'm afraid for this superglue fix so I was going to use the black electrical tape too because, honestly, it seems like it would be the safer way to go Thanks
12-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine fell out as well. Multiple times. I put a piece of Duct tape over it. Been over two years, no issues.
The choice between a little DIY-engineering and sending out to Precision for upwards to three+ months to get repaired... I'll take the Duct tape approach.

-tony

Last edited by amoringello; 12-09-2016 at 10:06 PM.
12-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. It's the only "failure" item on a Pentax body I've ever encountered. I just use a large straightened paperclip to "press the button," works fine for lens removal.
12-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jennaann Quote
I just switched to Pentax a week ago. I have two Canon cameras that I shot simultaneously with. So no backup Pentax body but have backup cameras for sure

---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 09:55 PM ----------

jrpower10 ... that's is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing HaHa! I'm afraid for this superglue fix so I was going to use the black electrical tape too because, honestly, it seems like it would be the safer way to go Thanks
The K5 is the only model that had this issue. Otherwise, that camera is as tough as a tank.
12-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

So what exactly breaks on the button? Does the c-clip break or the post holding the c-clip? If it is just the c-clip then there should be a notch still around the post where you could put a new clip on.
12-12-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Yep. It's the only "failure" item on a Pentax body I've ever encountered. I just use a large straightened paperclip to "press the button," works fine for lens removal.
That's a GREAT idea. If I ever lose that button at least I have that in my head Right now I did the black electrical tape, which looks so professional out in the field. HaHa! Honestly though, you have to look really hard to even notice.

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 03:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The K5 is the only model that had this issue. Otherwise, that camera is as tough as a tank.
I'm REALLY loving this camera guys! It's rocking my world, literally! I can't believe the quality I'm getting, the crisp photos! Canon WHO??? It does seem like a tough camera too. That button got me so upset though. I feel like it's affecting the camera and lenses syncing together but then again, I'm SO new to Pentax that it may just be me.

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 03:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So what exactly breaks on the button? Does the c-clip break or the post holding the c-clip? If it is just the c-clip then there should be a notch still around the post where you could put a new clip on.
The button along with the long pin (if that makes sense) attached to it. Basically you can just pop it right back into the hole and it's good to go. I put black electrical tape over it and seems to be going fine. I was more concerned about losing that button that anything. I think I can just keep a good eye on that tape and all should be fine. A little electrical tape is no big deal at all. I'm thinking of getting another Pentax after Christmas as a backup because I always had a backup before (with Canon). NOT quite ready for the K1 yet (the expense) so I am trying to decide do I just get another K5 or got to a K3? Decisions ....
12-14-2016, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Sorry to hear about this Jennaann.
Since I first started reading about the lens release button issue, I have kept a large paper clip in my camera bag (just in case).
I also read that if you keep your finger pressing on the button while attaching/removing the lens helps prevent this problem from happening. This way the pin is not sliding against the lens as you turn it, and the pin won't "snap" into the lock position. The pin snapping into the lock position is what concerns me the most!

Ray