Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys after reading your replies i think i have my heart rested on this camera especially when i saw those sample shots and what the camera can produce in terms of details and sharpness
i m getting that camera
and the double wheel option is really remarkable for the price
i dont really care much about af as i can always bump up the aperature for larger dof and use manual focus instead

02-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #17

You are doing right. your K5 with DA 18-250 will give you a very efficient all in one combo.

Dont misunderstand what has been said about AF: AF-S in K5 is dated, but it is good and accurate, and more efficient than MF, in most scenes.

It can sometimes struggle in some artificial lights.
Also you must remember that each the AF collimator is larger that you would expect, and will focus on the nearest sharp edge within its area, like the twig or grass just before that nice bird or squirrel, which can become tricky in very busy scene.
02-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 is a great camera if the price is good.
02-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
Forum Member

A little late to the party, however I want to put my 2 cents in on the question. I am new to digital SLR and picked up a K5 from someone just before Christmas last year. I have a group of old manual lenses from the film Pentax I used for well over 30 years, and one auto focus lens that came with the K5. The auto focus works very well from what I have experienced thus far. Shooting indoors is no problem, and is fast enough to focus for me. It certainly is faster than my sister in-laws Cannon Rebel, but that thing is really old. Image sharpness is very good, and with the manual lenses it is still very good. As one post remarked, the menu system they developed just makes a ton of sense and I immediately adjusted to it. Very well done by Pentax. The camera has much more heft to it than other lower priced dslr models from Cannon and Nikon, and the way it fits my hands is simply the best I have encountered.

The K5 is very good, and was originally designed to be very good. Still is, too. The full frame K1 is the next step up, excellent! I do believe there will be one in my hands next year as the K5 has been such a great experience.

02-14-2017, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosbeast Quote
Thanks a lot guys after reading your replies i think i have my heart rested on this camera especially when i saw those sample shots and what the camera can produce in terms of details and sharpness
i m getting that camera
and the double wheel option is really remarkable for the price
i dont really care much about af as i can always bump up the aperature for larger dof and use manual focus instead
I think it's a great camera and if you're getting it for a fair price, so much the better.

Here's a K-5 photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-14-2017, 05:30 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
A little late to the party, however I want to put my 2 cents in on the question. I am new to digital SLR and picked up a K5 from someone just before Christmas last year. I have a group of old manual lenses from the film Pentax I used for well over 30 years, and one auto focus lens that came with the K5. The auto focus works very well from what I have experienced thus far. Shooting indoors is no problem, and is fast enough to focus for me. It certainly is faster than my sister in-laws Cannon Rebel, but that thing is really old. Image sharpness is very good, and with the manual lenses it is still very good. As one post remarked, the menu system they developed just makes a ton of sense and I immediately adjusted to it. Very well done by Pentax. The camera has much more heft to it than other lower priced dslr models from Cannon and Nikon, and the way it fits my hands is simply the best I have encountered.

The K5 is very good, and was originally designed to be very good. Still is, too. The full frame K1 is the next step up, excellent! I do believe there will be one in my hands next year as the K5 has been such a great experience.
and you mentioned one thing that can be key.

the Pentax DSLR K cameras will work with older SLR K mount lenses, whether Pentax or not. Will all functions work - no that is why lenses have "progressed" as well as camera bodies but if there are issues relating to a budget (aren't there always issues relating to budgets) the older lens are options and available for reasonable prices.

I have mf Vivitar Series 1 lenses, 70 - 210 mm and 28 - 205 mm and an AF in the lens 200 mm prime which I have used with Pentax DSLRS. Awkward yes, great glass yes.
02-15-2017, 04:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a used K5 as a second body with about the same number of actuations. I think it is a great camera, though I rarely use autofocus. I also find the broken it produces creamier than my K50. I haven't done rigorous tests about it but it seems to have a certain magical quality about the sensor.
02-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosbeast Quote
i am going to get the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.5 lens and an old 50mm f/2 lens included with the camera
I think it's a great combination. My 18-250 is a nice lens, and is my standard walkabout lens on the K-5.
I would not hesitate to find another copy of the 18-250 if mine was ever damaged or stopped working. It
has been a workhorse. The price sounds good.

The forum has a great database where you can find ratings on lenses from those who own them. I use
it extensively when deciding what lenses to buy. Plus, there is no end to helpful folks who will give you
their two cents worth.

If you are on a budget, and don't mind used, sometimes barely used, there are great deals on the
marketplace and ebay, if you are patient.

02-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your decision, a K-5 and lens combo for that price is a great deal, you won't regret it. I still use my K-5 as my "go-to" camera with a backup K-7, which even itself can get the job done.
02-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another link to what appears to be an excellent comparison tool:

Pentax DSLR model comparison overview table - PentaxForums.com
04-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Still one of the best cameras I have owned.
I "upgraded" to the K3 (and kept the K5) but I find that the image IQ, especially with high ISO shots, is better than with the K3.
Same exact thoughts here. I can work with the K5 images easier. YMMV.
04-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #27

This is great advice, I am thinking of grabbing a K5 for cheap as a slight upgrade to my Kx!
04-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bagelhater Quote
This is great advice, I am thinking of grabbing a K5 for cheap as a slight upgrade to my Kx!
The K-5 is a major step up from the K-x. Much bigger than the step up to the K-3 from the K-5.
04-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-5 is a major step up from the K-x. Much bigger than the step up to the K-3 from the K-5.
This also depend a lot what is important for you in a camera For me K3 vs K5 is night an day because K3 had finally an AF that is decent. Work well in low light (only available starting K5-II), precise for shallow dof so AF is finally reliable for portraiture and decent AFC so sports/action work well. The AF is also overall must faster and accurate.

I consider AF to be one of the most important features in a camera so for me that's a huge improvement. Simply because you don't have time to fine tune your MF on moving subjects, because if the focus is on the wrong place, no other thing really matter and the photo go to trash.

I agree you don't care for MF lenses, but then I don't view K5 as particulary good on that. Slow Live View, no focus peaking, no EVF... You want to change the viewfinder to get one with some manual focus help and then yes the K5 can shine.
04-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This also depend a lot what is important for you in a camera For me K3 vs K5 is night an day because K3 had finally an AF that is decent. Work well in low light (only available starting K5-II), precise for shallow dof so AF is finally reliable for portraiture and decent AFC so sports/action work well. The AF is also overall must faster and accurate.

I consider AF to be one of the most important features in a camera so for me that's a huge improvement. Simply because you don't have time to fine tune your MF on moving subjects, because if the focus is on the wrong place, no other thing really matter and the photo go to trash.

I agree you don't care for MF lenses, but then I don't view K5 as particulary good on that. Slow Live View, no focus peaking, no EVF... You want to change the viewfinder to get one with some manual focus help and then yes the K5 can shine.
Completely agree but I also think the K5 has better dynamic range so I am keeping both.