Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just bought a K5 with under 3k shutter actuations as a pre-emptive replacement for my K30 which is beginning to show signs of having the aperture block failure. Given the high regard it seems to be held in on the forum, for $AU 380 I didn't think i could go too far wrong. It should arrive this week.

05-06-2017, 11:43 PM - 3 Likes   #32

Pentax K-5

QuoteOriginally posted by rosbeast Quote
i got this deal from a friend that had a pentax k-5 for years now yet it has only 19k actuations on the shutter until this day.
so it got me thinking is the k5 still a good camera by todays standards, lenses are a a little concerne for me as they are a bit expensive on the pentax system and i dont see them being really well known arround the internet for their sharpness, but i am no expert in the pentax system, i am going to get the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.5 lens and an old 50mm f/2 lens included with the camera
I need your opinion on this matter, if i get this deal it will be my first pentax camera, and i ve been a canon shooter in the past, so should i go with this deal for 400$ with lenses included? or should i just save up for something better or maybe even go for a 700D or 600D ?
also articulating screen is a really important feature for me, but for the price i cant argue, but i would be really nice if the was a way or a work arround for this matter, like an accessory or an external screen that could be mounted on as an accessory
Rosbeast:

If you have already made a decision, stop reading and go on to something else.

If you are still thinking about your decision, the consider these thoughts:

1. The K-5 is an excellent camera with more capabilities than most shooters will need or ever take advantage of.
2. The body is available at a very reasonable price and will continue to have a strong value.
3. Unless you are super particular person and finite detail oriented, 100% of the images you take with this camera will be outstanding. A large variety of lenses are available for this camera and you can build your kit and time and money allow.
4. You can buy newer bodies for more money and more bells and whistles, but the images will probably not be substantially better. Post processing covers many deficiencies and the finished image will be something to be proud of.
5. Remember it is the photographer not the camera that makes great images.

Good luck and have fun shooting.
05-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Still one of the best cameras I have owned.
I "upgraded" to the K3 (and kept the K5) but I find that the image IQ, especially with high ISO shots, is better than with the K3.
As I am interested in getting the K-3 (currently have a K-7), in what ways is the image IQ better on the K-5? Might reconsider my options if that is the case.
05-07-2017, 04:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legaldr Quote
Rosbeast:

If you have already made a decision, stop reading and go on to something else.

If you are still thinking about your decision, the consider these thoughts:

1. The K-5 is an excellent camera with more capabilities than most shooters will need or ever take advantage of.
2. The body is available at a very reasonable price and will continue to have a strong value.
3. Unless you are super particular person and finite detail oriented, 100% of the images you take with this camera will be outstanding. A large variety of lenses are available for this camera and you can build your kit and time and money allow.
4. You can buy newer bodies for more money and more bells and whistles, but the images will probably not be substantially better. Post processing covers many deficiencies and the finished image will be something to be proud of.
5. Remember it is the photographer not the camera that makes great images.

Good luck and have fun shooting.
I agree there, if you made up your mind, then go on to the next thing. There no point to spent too much time on decisions... Do use the camera and enjoy it.

After you'll have used for quite some time, you'll see if you are satisfied or not with the photos you take and try to investigate what you could improve. Maybe improving your technique would give the most, but in some case a new, more fancy camera will be what you need.

But first, enjoy your new toy!

05-07-2017, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
As I am interested in getting the K-3 (currently have a K-7), in what ways is the image IQ better on the K-5? Might reconsider my options if that is the case.
Honestly having had both... If you know your technique, the K5 is the inferior camera in all aspects, including low light, the area where K3 is often said to be bad. The K3 is night and day difference for AF (in particular in low light where K5 is terrible), sharpness (you have much more possibilities to crop for wildlife as an example), overall reactivity, the flash system bug from K5 is solved, the metering and white balance are more accurate. All lenses AF, faster, including screw drive thanks to the faster motor.

Beware also to not mess up K5 and K5-IIs. The K5-IIs has already much improved sharpness than to the lack of low pass filter and also an AF that may not be that great but that work in low light.

In the APSC lineup the K3 (or K3-II that is basically the same camera) is the second best overall camera after the KP... And even, the KP mostly beat it in usability (lighter, better controls) and the improved sensor. For all the rest, the K3 is as good or better (1/8000 shutter, better autonomy, 2 SD cards...).

But it is true that the K5 apply lot of blur to the images at high iso that remove the noise and people often take the mistake to see their photos at 100% for details and obviously a a K3 with 24MP show a more magnified view with more noise (and also more details overall). But if you print or look at full screen, the K3 is quite capable.

My experience with K3 in low light vs K5 is that K3 can make sharp image. K5 can't. K3 AF is reliable in low light. K5 is not. K3 doesn't apply much noise removal and as such it need a raw editor with nice removal algorithms to shine. Latest lightroom would do the job but DxO with prime truely shine.

Few example of K3 high iso perf:

iso 8000

iso 2000

iso 1600

iso 3200

iso 6400

If you want to upgrade in APSC, the best offering in Pentax is the KP then K3.
05-07-2017, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
There is a little more dynamic range for sunsets etc. with the K-5 and you get at least 1/3 stop more in the high ISO function. My wife still uses her K-5, I have a K-3 and a K-1. For high ISO, we are happy with 640 ISO on a K-3, 800-1000 ISO on a K-5 and 1600-3200 ISO on a K-1. The K-3 is a great action camera with it's 8 FPS and 23 image buffer, and more MP for cropping, but the K-5 is still a great camera. The stunning images that for a while had it the #1 sensor in all of APS-c land are still better than 99% of what's out there.
05-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Honestly having had both... If you know your technique, the K5 is the inferior camera in all aspects, including low light, the area where K3 is often said to be bad. The K3 is night and day difference for AF (in particular in low light where K5 is terrible), sharpness (you have much more possibilities to crop for wildlife as an example), overall reactivity, the flash system bug from K5 is solved, the metering and white balance are more accurate. All lenses AF, faster, including screw drive thanks to the faster motor.

Beware also to not mess up K5 and K5-IIs. The K5-IIs has already much improved sharpness than to the lack of low pass filter and also an AF that may not be that great but that work in low light.

In the APSC lineup the K3 (or K3-II that is basically the same camera) is the second best overall camera after the KP... And even, the KP mostly beat it in usability (lighter, better controls) and the improved sensor. For all the rest, the K3 is as good or better (1/8000 shutter, better autonomy, 2 SD cards...).

But it is true that the K5 apply lot of blur to the images at high iso that remove the noise and people often take the mistake to see their photos at 100% for details and obviously a a K3 with 24MP show a more magnified view with more noise (and also more details overall). But if you print or look at full screen, the K3 is quite capable.

My experience with K3 in low light vs K5 is that K3 can make sharp image. K5 can't. K3 AF is reliable in low light. K5 is not. K3 doesn't apply much noise removal and as such it need a raw editor with nice removal algorithms to shine. Latest lightroom would do the job but DxO with prime truely shine.

Few example of K3 high iso perf:

iso 8000

iso 2000

iso 1600

iso 3200

iso 6400

If you want to upgrade in APSC, the best offering in Pentax is the KP then K3.
Thanks Nicolas! A very helpful and detailed reply! I appreciate that. K-3 it is then.

05-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #38

I recently purchased a gently used K5 because I wanted to get back into Pentax after several years with a Nikon D7000. One of the Nikon lenses that I used a lot was the 70-300mm lens for my kids baseball and soccer games. The 18-135mm lens on the K5 is fast enough to keep up with the kids, but I needed more reach. I purchased the 55-300mm DA lens, but it could not keep up with the action. I looked into getting a new PLM 55-300mm lens but found out that it will not work with the K5. If you want to use the PLM lenses, look into something newer.
05-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The specs for the K-5 and K-5IIS are exactly the same(word for word) in this comparison what gives ??
05-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

In a quick look, I see differences between the K 5 II and the K 5 in these categories [ignore the K 3 data, I need to compare 3 camera bodies ]

Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

auto focus viewfinder

auto focus sensitivity

auto focus mode

memory card type

notes

I just read the stuff, I don't write it nor do I really understand it all

sorry
05-08-2017, 04:49 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
RE: K5 vs K5II ( s )

The IIs lacks the filer : more sharprness.
The IIs has improved focusing in low light
05-08-2017, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
RE: K5 vs K5II ( s )

The IIs lacks the filer : more sharprness.
The IIs has improved focusing in low light
You last point also applies to the K-5 II and not just to the K-5 IIs -> low-light focusing, especially with tungsten WB is much improved over the K-5 for both models. Literally the only difference between the II and the IIs is the filter. Both are awesome cameras IMHO, especially when compared to their predecessor, the K-5 (legacy model).
05-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" The main improvements in the K-5 II include a new autofocus system called SAFOX X, which operates in low light down to -3EV, and a redesigned LCD screen, which is easier to see outdoors. In addition to these changes, the K-5 IIs also employs a filterless sensor design, meaning that it will be able to deliver a much higher effective image resolution. In almost all other respects, the K-5 II and IIs are identical to its predecessor. . . . "

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I have the K 5 II and the K 3

no complaints about either
05-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have just sold the K-5 IIs after almost 4 years of great service. As Pentax models go, it was one of the very best in its time and I could have continued using it for years if it weren't for my back- and knee-problems which indicated it was time for a articulated LCD screen (moved to the K-70). The only camera I can compare it to in terms of user experience and user satisfaction in all of the Pentax bodies I ever owned and used would be the K20D which I dearly loved.
05-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosbeast Quote
i got this deal from a friend that had a pentax k-5 for years now yet it has only 19k actuations on the shutter until this day.
so it got me thinking is the k5 still a good camera by todays standards, lenses are a a little concerne for me as they are a bit expensive on the pentax system and i dont see them being really well known arround the internet for their sharpness, but i am no expert in the pentax system, i am going to get the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.5 lens and an old 50mm f/2 lens included with the camera
I need your opinion on this matter, if i get this deal it will be my first pentax camera, and i ve been a canon shooter in the past, so should i go with this deal for 400$ with lenses included? or should i just save up for something better or maybe even go for a 700D or 600D ?
also articulating screen is a really important feature for me, but for the price i cant argue, but i would be really nice if the was a way or a work arround for this matter, like an accessory or an external screen that could be mounted on as an accessory

Whatever you decide regarding the K-5, just remember that you are making a decision on a camera that has the virtue of an in camera stabilization feature. Does the idea of having this appeal against having to buy lenses with stabilization? Think of all those lovely (and often cheap) legacy lenses (albeit mostly manual) that you can use stabilized to a degree.
The K-5 was a great camera in it's day. Obviously there are better (and newer) cameras with more features like the articulating screen you would like.
Pentax is a brand that is progressing, albeit maybe a little slower than others and can mix it with the bigger boys. I like mine....a lot! Pentax is a system that might just grow on you too.