Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
" The main improvements in the K-5 II include a new autofocus system called SAFOX X, which operates in low light down to -3EV, and a redesigned LCD screen, which is easier to see outdoors. In addition to these changes, the K-5 IIs also employs a filterless sensor design, meaning that it will be able to deliver a much higher effective image resolution. In almost all other respects, the K-5 II and IIs are identical to its predecessor. . . . "

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I have the K 5 II and the K 3

no complaints about either
How would you compare the K-5 and K-3 in terms of image quality? Which one do you prefer?

Is the focusing significantly better on the K-3 compared to the K-5?

05-09-2017, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
How would you compare the K-5 and K-3 in terms of image quality? Which one do you prefer?

Is the focusing significantly better on the K-3 compared to the K-5?
If you are asking me, I have never used a K 5

as between the K 3 and K 5 II, the K 5 II is the one I had first and is now my reserve camera since I bought the K 3

if price was the determining factor, I would not hesitate to choose the k 5 II

I had put my *ist dl away some years ago and when we decided to go on our first trip to Africa I bought the K 5 II and on our return I moved up to the K 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+*ist+...&c3=Pentax+K-3

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-09-2017 at 03:11 AM.
05-09-2017, 02:44 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the k5 is a wonderful camera to start with. Menus and user interface are much better than any Canon/Nikon mates. Notice that 16 mpx are enough for anything and k5 dynamic range is superior to every 24 mpx APSC . In few words: it's an excellent camera ; its files will lead you into raw developing. Mine works perfectly after years of (ab)use and a huge fall to the ground . I use mine with DA17-70 fr everything or with an old 20 mm f/4 as lightweight gear.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-27-2017, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

While I own a K-3 and love it, I still kept my K-5 for its low-light resolution. I get good results up to ISO 3200. Recently, we took a trip to the Phoenix Zoo at night to view their "Zoo lights" Christmastime celebration. Instead of the K-3, I opted for the K-5, and just kept the kit lens 18-55 WR on it. Here is a sample shot of some of the light displays as viewed across a lake on the zoo premises. I used the level feature to be sure of the camera's orientation, as there was no horizon to reckon the view. This is still a great camera, and I value it as a backup to the K-3 and for even better performance in low light, particularly when shooting in RAW, as this picture was. Shot hand-held.

John

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-27-2017, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

My wife shoots a K-5, and loves it. She doesn't do birds or much wildlife so it suits her to a T. When I use it, I find the AF clunky compared to my K-3 but IQ wise, at 4026 x 2304 pixels (my wife's 4k monitor) the images are indistinguishable from K-1 images up to 800 ISO. By 3200 the K-1 is clearly better. The K-3 is noisier than the K-5 pixel peeper, but pretty much the same at the same size.

Last edited by normhead; 11-27-2017 at 06:49 PM.
12-31-2017, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #51
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if price was the determining factor, I would not hesitate to choose the k 5 II
After a lot of analysis of the K-3/K-5 II differences, price was why I chose the K-5 II. For me it was a good choice.
01-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
After a lot of analysis of the K-3/K-5 II differences, price was why I chose the K-5 II. For me it was a good choice.
You've done a great choice. K5 II offers you some AF improvements and the same marvelous image quality of the K5 sensor. Once developed from RAW, you'll understand how much quality that camera delivers. Couple it with good lens and you'll have a lot of satisfaction. Well done!

01-01-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started with a K7 then moved to a K5IIs.
Looked long and hard at the K3/K3II, not enough applause to make me go that route over the K5IIs.
So I purchased a K5II for a second body.
Now I have both, the K5IIs and K5II using them with three DA* lenses.
They are both good enough for what I do.
Still have the K7, will start into the world of macro soon using it.

Clarence
03-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I started out with a KX and "upgraded" to the K5 in March 2012, I handed down the Kx to my daughter who still uses it to this day. Now six years later I still have this fantastic "built like a tank" K5, it still is going strong. Over the years I have learned all of its quirks especially the AF that isn't so great, however I still love this camera. I just bought a K3 from here on the market place and am hoping it serves me as well as the K5 did. I will still use the K5 just as much as the K3 but it will have different duties limited to the focus issues. I most likely will use it for outdoor well lit use and wide angle lenses. It may possibly go towards my other daughter when sh e starts learning photography