Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the Pentax K-5 a classic ?

The Pentax K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs will go down as one of the most beloved Pentax DSLR's cameras ever, but not the K3. Anybody knows why ? (sorry for the troll)

07-08-2017, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

It was the last Pentax DSLR series to retain sensor-shift SR in video mode, it all went downhill after that
07-08-2017, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no such thing as "a classic." When the next camera comes out, the previous is pretty much obsolete and it's time to move on. This is a bit like harking back to the days of the 1990s and saying "Man, those massive CRT TVs were such much better than what we have now!" :/
07-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whether the K-5 series becomes one of the most beloved Pentax DSLRs is a question for the future. Certainly, the K-5's have their fans; I still like and use my K-5 II even though I have a K-3 II. But, I use my K-3 much more often - it's a 'better' camera for me.

As to why the sentiment? Nostalgia, perhaps. As well, the K-5 II and IIs feature(d) qualities at an affordable price point - very high value for money. And, they take good images.

07-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are those who still love the K10D...Me? I love my K-3. I had a K-5 but the K-3 is better for me...
07-08-2017, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hell ya, it's a classic!

The K-5 was a huge step up in performance, especially IQ. It was rugged, compact, and powerful. The K-3 offered another step up in resolution but it's IQ was similar (some say worse) than the K-5. It's likely the the leap of the K-5 created expectations for the K-3 that were impossible to satisfy with the sensors at that time.
07-08-2017, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the K-5 was a breakthrough in the sense that it helped define Pentax as a brand that delivers exceptional image quality. The K-5 stayed at or near the top of DxO's sensor rankings for quite a while, and it was a significant improvement over its predecessor, even though the K-7 in fact deserves most of the credit for the new UI and top-notch ergonomics/build quality.

That said, the K-5 was not originally cheap- I believe it was launched at the same initial price as the K-1. In addition, when it came to AF speed or burst shooting, at the time competitors such as the Canon 7D felt like they were light years ahead.

Thanks to its durablitlity and low second hand price, it's not surprising that the K-5 remains a favorite. Its image quality is not far removed from the current bodies and its low-light performance remains competitive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That said, the K-5 was not originally cheap- I believe it was launched at the same initial price as the K-1.
Launch price was $1600 body only. The D7000 was $1200 at launch and had two SD slots...You could get it with the 18-105 for $100 less than a K-5 body only...

When I bought mine, a few months before the K-5 II was announced, it was still $980 gray market.
07-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-5 is a great camera. It definitely pushed Pentax in the right direction and offered a lot of improvements over the K-7, but the K-3 is a better camera. I love using my K-3 with my 31mm LTD.
07-08-2017, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Launch price was $1600 body only. The D7000 was $1200 at launch and had two SD slots...You could get it with the 18-105 for $100 less than a K-5 body only...

When I bought mine, a few months before the K-5 II was announced, it was still $980 gray market.
Interesting to see that the Australian distributor (C R Kennedy) have a K-5 + DA 18-135 lens for AUD1369 available on their site...not sure if it's a mistake or new-old-stock.

Cheers,
Terry
07-08-2017, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Man, those massive CRT TVs were such much better than what we have now!
My massive 20" Trinitron was pretty awesome. Well, everything about it except the massive part. I'd still be happily
using that monitor if it hadn't expired.
07-08-2017, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's just time in the saddle, but I feel like the K-5's ergonomics have yet to be improved on by Pentax. Nice big LCD on top, good button layout, it's just great to use. I've never felt any envy towards the K-3 or K-3 II.

What interests me the most is whatever comes after the K-3 II, above the KP and below the K-1, in the Pentax lineup. Right now, if my K-5 II blew up tomorrow, I'd be searching high and low for another one in good condition.
07-08-2017, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I think its because the K-5 had a great quality to price ratio and was released at a time where it was a quite special camera. The K-3 is great, but its not a massive jump from the K-5.

The OP question is actually kind of interesting. I can't think of an exact reason. SR existed before, green button existed before, K-7 was a good camera, many previous cameras were well received.. dunno. Guess its just a mix of everything. SR, WR, green button, ISO 50, good burst rate, great noise performance, ergonomic.. Maybe its because it was the first Pentax DSLR that caused a stir outside of Pentaxland? And not because of fancy colours or FF sensor, but simply because it was.. objectively quite good
07-08-2017, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

An absolute classic. Bullet proof. I love mine.
07-08-2017, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

It's a nice tidy package? I dunno, my k5iis feels like a 'complete' camera, that stays out of the way and just does what I want it to with no fuss. I think I'd be in for another if mine went "poof" today.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
This is a bit like harking back to the days of the 1990s and saying "Man, those massive CRT TVs were such much better than what we have now!" :/
Those 90's models stunk, go back to the 70's where our family CRT TV was so awesomely massive, it was a piece of furniture with a fish tank on top of it.