Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rapair/Cleaning or Upgrade to K3ii?

I've had my K5ii for 4 years now, only 37000 actuations. I have been finding lately that the focusing is sometimes a little off, especially if there are a lot of bright red objects in the frame. I requested a quote for repair and it was $262. This camera was a significant upgrade to my K5 in regards to the focusing performance in low light conditions. So I am quite happy with this K5ii, but must admit I was intrigued when the K3ii came out. I have never used my onboard flash, and have an O-GPS1 that I use for wide field astro photography, so seems the K3ii was produced just for me.

I was going to send all my 4 pancake lenses in for them to match and adjust optimum focus, but that is another $109 per lens, which is what they quoted for repair. Is that needed? I keep them clean, and the lenses seem fine, but maybe they need cleaning?

So that is going to run me about $700.

I am wondering if I should upgrade to the K3ii. Or maybe just send in my K5ii only, and hope those repairs fix the problem? I also hate to be without a camera for a month, although I still have my K5.

Anyway, I am bouncing through my thoughts here, and am looking for some input/opinions/thoughts.

Thanks

09-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Unless there's something mechanically wrong with the camera, sending it in alone isn't going to do you much good IMO. Have you performed FF/BF calibrations for all your lenses?

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

That could save you a lot of money or allow you to spend that money on the K-3 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam,
I haven't adjusted the focus fine adjustments in a while. Maybe it can use some tweaking.

Eric