Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 vs. K-50?

I've got an opportunity to buy a K5 body, like new, for $200.00. I'm currently shooting with a K-50 (that I love) but would like to try something that doesn't have the possible aperture lock problem hanging over it's head. So.... can you briefly tell me the basic difference between the K5 and the K-50?

Thanks,
Dewman

11-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 has the same sensor, but with 14 bit RAW support, a more ergonomic and considerably more durable body. As part of the Pentax flagship line, it's meant to last and is therefore built to higher standards than the K-50.

You'll take a bit to adjust to the slightly different button layout, but over time you'll probably find that that interface is faster to work with.

The only downside is that the K-50 has a more advanced live view focusing algorithm than the K-5, and it has focus peaking, which the K-5 lacks.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. It's such a shame that the K-50 has that darn aperture problem lurking in the shadows!
11-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
It's such a shame that the K-50 has that darn aperture problem lurking in the shadows!
Based on the survey ran here a while ago, the odds are in your favour that any aperture problems with your camera will never see the light of day. I have a shed full of stuff that I bought because I thought they would be good replacements for other stuff that still works.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
the K-50 has a more advanced live view focusing algorithm than the K-5, and it has focus peaking, which the K-5 lacks.
I don't know about you, but I find focus peaking pretty useful.

11-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Yes, it's very nice. One reason to consider the K-3 over the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Though I've never had a K-50, I do own the K-5. However, I don't think there really is that big of a difference in specs/features to justify the purchase (6fps vs 7fps, possibly higher ISO and lighter for k-50). Aside from longevity, they seem very similar. Doesn't feel like much of a jump. I would simply ride that aperature-lock til it fell off... by then you'll be able to possibly replace it with something newer at the same price or the K-5 for a much lower price, as apposed to having two similar bodies. If you double the amount ($400), you can sometimes find good deals on here and other places for a K-3, and that would be a pretty big jump! Comparing K-5 to K-3, it feels like you would literally be getting 2x the camera.

The K-5 is pretty amazing though! I don't use it as much, after upgrading to the K-1... but when I do, it still feels like the most pure photo-making machines. Not that the other features (in K-1/others) are gimmicks, but the K-5 is just camera settings + take the photo.
11-09-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've got an opportunity to buy a K5 body, like new, for $200.00. I'm currently shooting with a K-50 (that I love) but would like to try something that doesn't have the possible aperture lock problem hanging over it's head. So.... can you briefly tell me the basic difference between the K5 and the K-50?

Thanks,
Dewman
I really like my K-5. Bought in 2011 (I think) and it is dependable and looks good as new. As Adam stated, you will notice the difference in build quality immediately, along with the quieter shutter. My only wish is that Ricoh would release a firmware update to enable use of the KAF4 PLM lens. Otherwise a great camera

11-09-2017, 04:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I really like my K-5. Bought in 2011 (I think) and it is dependable and looks good as new. As Adam stated, you will notice the difference in build quality immediately, along with the quieter shutter. My only wish is that Ricoh would release a firmware update to enable use of the KAF4 PLM lens. Otherwise a great camera
This is the real advantage of the K-50 over the K-5. And if they ever release an 18-ish to 50-ish PLM zoom, the aperture block problem will be a thing of the past. I'm actually surprised they haven't already.
11-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To me this is the one great advantage the K5 has over its K-50/30 cousin (the quieter shutter). Everything else is personal preference and is basically a wash.
11-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This is the real advantage of the K-50 over the K-5. And if they ever release an 18-ish to 50-ish PLM zoom, the aperture block problem will be a thing of the past. I'm actually surprised they haven't already.
I would not be a very happy camper if my camera had the aperture block problem. My favorite lenses remain my DA Limiteds even though I have the 55-300 PLM (on my K-3). Nevertheless I would not mind having that 18-50 PLM zoom if it ever is created.
11-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks,
Dewman
here is what the camera to camera comparison tool under " Cameras " above tells you about the K 50 and the K 5

I have a K 3 and a K 5 II, so other than linking to the tool, I can't help you.

[https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax K-50&c2=Pentax K-5

can't get link to work??? follow link and change comparisons to K 50 and K 5 manually

here is the K 5 in depth review:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k5/review.html?src=lrdb

here is the K 50 in depth review:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-50-review/introduction.html?src=lrdb

interesting this is noted in the conclusion:

" We can also recommend the K-50 as an upgrade over older Pentax models, such as the *ist D series, K100D series, K200D, K10D, K20D, K-m, K-x, or K-r. If you currently have a K-30, hang on to it. If you're shooting with a K-5, K-5 II, or K-5 IIs, then the K-50 will be a sidegrade, as it has better live view and video capabilities but worse build quality and RAW bit depth. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-50-review/conclusion.html#ixzz4xyghBRcY

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-09-2017 at 03:58 PM.
11-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just ride my K-50 till the wheels fall off of it. I love the camera and it's been a very faithful companion on many photographic safaris. It was my K-30 that had the aperture lock. Sent it off to be repaired, but every once in a while, I've got to "shock it back to life" by inserting the AA battery adapter with fresh lithium ion batteries, and it will snap right back to attention. Meanwhile, people are starving to death in deepest, darkest Africa.
11-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
How, when, do you use it? I can learn something from this. I have a K-5 which lacks it but I believe my K-3 has focus peaking. I've never tried it and would appreciate what situations you find it useful. Thanks.
11-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How, when, do you use it?
Manual focusing in Live View, especially in situations where depth of field is relatively narrow. I can't tell by looking through the viewfinder if my focus is on target and the red focus confirmation square (at least on a K-30) covers too much area to accurately focus. You can also magnify a portion of the image in Live View, but focus peaking is much quicker and it shows all of the in focus areas at once.

The photo below was taken with a manual focus A-50mm lens at f1.7 and focus peaking would show when the markings on the vase were in focus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Meanwhile, people are starving to death in deepest, darkest Africa.
Having an uncaring, kleptocratic government will do that to you.