Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

Pentax K5II Problem - broken mirror mechanism?

Hi All

My 4 year old Pentax K5II has just stopped working. On taking a photo the mirror sticks in the up position. The camera will then constantly make a quiet whirring noise and vibrate very gently - even if switched off. Only way to clear the problem is to remove the battery. On re-installation of the battery the mirror re-sets to normal position and all is quiet. It is possible to take one shot where the mirror cycle works, but no image is stored, but on the next shot the mirror will stick every time.

Once re-set, going into Live View mode, the mirror lifts but no image is presented on the LCD screen although the camera settings data is shown. Subsequently it is not possible to switch off the camera, LCD always remains active. Once again battery removal is needed and everything re-sets on re-installation of battery.

No known physical damage to camera. Currently just under 17,000 shutter count. Pentax support line are not aware of any particular issues on the K5II, especially with such a low shutter count. Google seems to suggest some problems on earlier models???

Has anybody else encountered this problem on the K5III? Any idea of type of repair or £$€?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

11-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave_K5ii Quote
Hi All

My 4 year old Pentax K5II has just stopped working. On taking a photo the mirror sticks in the up position. The camera will then constantly make a quiet whirring noise and vibrate very gently - even if switched off. Only way to clear the problem is to remove the battery. On re-installation of the battery the mirror re-sets to normal position and all is quiet. It is possible to take one shot where the mirror cycle works, but no image is stored, but on the next shot the mirror will stick every time.

Once re-set, going into Live View mode, the mirror lifts but no image is presented on the LCD screen although the camera settings data is shown. Subsequently it is not possible to switch off the camera, LCD always remains active. Once again battery removal is needed and everything re-sets on re-installation of battery.

No known physical damage to camera. Currently just under 17,000 shutter count. Pentax support line are not aware of any particular issues on the K5II, especially with such a low shutter count. Google seems to suggest some problems on earlier models???

Has anybody else encountered this problem on the K5III? Any idea of type of repair or £$€?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
PS I have tried a new battery, and only change was to my bank balance.
11-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this- sounds like bad luck, nothing more nothing less. I'd send the camera off to a repair shop for a quote. I don't think mirror box replacements are awfully expensive, but you'll probably still see a bill of at least half the camera's value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave_K5ii Quote
Hi All

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Hi
I had exactly the same problem last year with my 3 years old K5II. That was two days after I made a short video in a cold, humid and windy place (I do not know if this video get the camera into trouble but it is the one and only video I ever made with this camera). After a few weeks, as I was about tu buy a used K30 (less expensive than the repair), the problem on my K5II disappeared. The camera worked again normally. I made nothing. It just happened. And the camera is still working now.
I hope you'll have the same surprise.