Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 02:29 AM   #1

How do you set your own Aperture size Shutter speed and ISO (in a nutshell)?

Pentax K5, what's the best way to customise your own settings for Ap size, Sh and Film speed?
Still like to use my own settings, old habits die hard, could anyone tell me in a nutshell how to accomplish this please?
Tried though I have, several times, I seem to always end up with one or the other on Auto.
I'm still becoming familiar with DSLR and leafing through page after page of the manual whilst trying to set up my camera knowing I want eg: a low ISO, a wide aperture and a slow shutter speed.
Any advice appreciated.
Am I too old school?
AnnieK5.

12-13-2017, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For complete control over settings put the camera in m-mode. it won't change anything by itself. You can change aperture and speed with the back and front dial and ISO by pressing the ISO button and the turning the back dial at the same time.
12-13-2017, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, M mode is old school, but still very practical, in fact essential, in the digital age . You have the advantage of the exposure indicator along the bottom of the viewfinder to guide you , giving a 5 stop variance either side of 'meter centre'. The K5 has fixed ISO in M mode (set with the ISO button and e-dial).... some of the later ones I believe alllow auto ISO in M, unless specifically switched off.

Then there's the histogram on he LCD review screen after the shot .....no excuses now for any bad exposures.

Last edited by mcgregni; 12-13-2017 at 02:52 AM.
12-13-2017, 05:02 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also have a look through the manual and change the memory settings so that for example ISO will not revert to AUTO in Av or Tv (aperture priority/shutter priority) when you turn the camera on.

12-13-2017, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The values should be about the same as for film. You have to turn the camera dial to M mode. Now you have e-dials and the +/- button to switch between the values and settings. You can also press green button and it will Auto adjust just one of the values.
But honestly, M mode is not great for everyday shooting. There is nothing wrong with using P or Av or TAv, as its much faster. M mode is great when you use old manual lenses or when you are in studio, trying to accomplish a very specific thing. Some automation is not bad and speeds things up, so feel free to learn to trust it a little
12-13-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

We can have effectively full control of the exposure in any mode except Green Auto, unless +/- 5-stops of exposure compensation is a not wide enough range. It seems quite convenient, for example in Av Mode, that once the correct exposure is determined, often only one adjustment needs to be made to try a different aperture for the shot.

Philip
12-13-2017, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

M mode you choose all 3. TAv mode you choose aperture and shutter speed and the camera chooses ISO to get correct exposure. Av you choose aperture and the camera selects shutter speed and ISO per a program. Tv you choose shutter speed, Sv you choose ISO etc.

I have my controls customized so when I’m in Av, the front wheel overrides the program and lets me choose ISO directly. That way I can choose the balance between ISO and shutter speed I want without going through all the trouble of M mode.

12-13-2017, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TAv mode is what I use most. Essentially set Aperture first to a good setting for the lens you're using, then adjust shutter speed to keep ISO in a comfortable range. That lets you balance the three most important control points to manage risk of noise vs. subject motion blur.
12-13-2017, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Av almost all the time and use iso control and exposure compensation to get the results I want. I switch to M when the camera is fooled by the scene. For example my DA 12-24 shots at night of Christmas lights that I took the other night were made in M mode. But the sunset pics made the next day with a DA 15 were in Av mode with a negative exposure bias.

I started on an unmetered Diana Clone and moved to a Yashica then Nikon Nikkormat then F2A so I shot a lot of Manual cameras. When I got my Pentax PZ-1 I discovered how much freedom came from Av mode. It is my default mode.
12-13-2017, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I use Av almost all the time and use iso control and exposure compensation to get the results I want. I switch to M when the camera is fooled by the scene. For example my DA 12-24 shots at night of Christmas lights that I took the other night were made in M mode. But the sunset pics made the next day with a DA 15 were in Av mode with a negative exposure bias.

I started on an unmetered Diana Clone and moved to a Yashica then Nikon Nikkormat then F2A so I shot a lot of Manual cameras. When I got my Pentax PZ-1 I discovered how much freedom came from Av mode. It is my default mode.
AV is what I use.... what I want to control is Aperture for DoF and ISO for noise... except for wildlife images, time is pretty much irrelevant.
12-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all so much I will print all this out, I have various lenses to experiment with and I'm finding the manual has so many pages on what I'm trying to do, I'm confusing myself flipping back and forth between them. I'm twixt between how I want to shoot sunrise/sunset/moon and stars, and a local waterfall. Still very used K1000. I'll try a few different settings and hope to end up with something I'm happy to post.
You've all been a great help.
12-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AnnieK5 Quote
Thank you all so much I will print all this out, I have various lenses to experiment with and I'm finding the manual has so many pages on what I'm trying to do, I'm confusing myself flipping back and forth between them. I'm twixt between how I want to shoot sunrise/sunset/moon and stars, and a local waterfall. Still very used K1000. I'll try a few different settings and hope to end up with something I'm happy to post.
You've all been a great help.
I think some sort of course is in order, Annie, preferably a real lesson, with other photographers around you, with exercises from the instructor and immediate feedback.

Once you've got the basics under your belt, there's a plethora of online tutorials, ranging from abysmal/superficial to excellent.

Last edited by clackers; 12-13-2017 at 04:31 PM.
12-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Using AV is just like your K1000. Set you Aperture and ISO on the back screen instead of the dials on top. The camera will do the "needle match" for you and set the right shutter speed. Just watch your shutter speed in the viewfinder to make sure it doesn't go below your minimum value. Adjust your exposure with the EV dial +1, -1 etc. I like -2 for most sunsets....-.7 for many other exposures, even for images with no sky, and plus 1 for snow.

Turn on the histogram and check your exposures on the back panel to make sure you have your exposure where you want it.

Really, it's not that much to do and not that different than a K1000. That will cover 95% of your work, get good at that and learn the rest slowly as needed. It should all fit on one little card you can keep in your pocket. No need to have a book.
12-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
TAv mode is what I use most. Essentially set Aperture first to a good setting for the lens you're using, then adjust shutter speed to keep ISO in a comfortable range. That lets you balance the three most important control points to manage risk of noise vs. subject motion blur.
Me too.
12-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Control freaks like myself hate to give up control of the ISO setting. It's the only thing I have left that makes me feel needed.