Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #1

shooting with my Pentax k-5

i was shooting a traditional wedding then i decided to keep an eye outside of the venue there i got a lovely mountain then i pull forth my lovely k-5 and the picture taken was so fabulous and fascinating kudos to Ricoh......

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No kudos to Ricoh I'm afraid ..... The K5 was made when Pentax was owned by Hoya, I believe.
12-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Just curious - why so much under-exposure?
12-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JAYEOBA90 Quote
i was shooting a traditional wedding then i decided to keep an eye outside of the venue there i got a lovely mountain then i pull forth my lovely k-5 and the picture taken was so fabulous and fascinating kudos to Ricoh......
I like the exposure, I do not think it is under exposured.

12-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with MrB1 about the exposure. It's about 0.7 stops under overall IMO, plus could do with a bit of contrast increase as well, mainly to lift the highlights. Assuming that no compensation was added then it looks as to be expected, considering the large amount of bright sky which dominates the frame, which would "fool" the metering somewhat.

It looks like a fairly quick grab shot without much consideration for the final result. I do agree with the photographer that the IQ is good..... The detail in the rocks and foliage is impressive, considering it's a fair distance. It would be interesting to know the lens that was used.
12-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have [3. Expanded Sensitivity] set in the C1 menu, I find the K5 does tend to underexpose.
12-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I agree with MrB1 about the exposure. It's about 0.7 stops under overall IMO, plus could do with a bit of contrast increase as well, mainly to lift the highlights. Assuming that no compensation was added then it looks as to be expected, considering the large amount of bright sky which dominates the frame, which would "fool" the metering somewhat.
You are right in that the image is definitely under-exposed and lacking in highlight contrast, Nigel. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous comment:- the exif data shows minus 5 EV of exposure compensation! It was taken at about noon on a clear day, so 'sunny 16' should have given a good exposure, and the reported 1/1250s at f/4.5 is equivalent to 1/100s at f/16. But with -5 EC ???

12-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That doesn't seem right really, it doesn't look 5 stops underexposed .... about 1 stop I thought. That is a strange indication from the exif .....

---------- Post added 27-12-17 at 23:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you have [3. Expanded Sensitivity] set in the C1 menu, I find the K5 does tend to underexpose.

Interesting..... I thought that setting simply 'unlocked ' the higher ISO range if you needed it. I wonder why it would have an influence in metering?
12-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks pretty good for being shot under your harsh sun. Well done and welcome to the forums!
Cheers.
12-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
You are right in that the image is definitely under-exposed and lacking in highlight contrast, Nigel. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous comment:- the exif data shows minus 5 EV of exposure compensation! It was taken at about noon on a clear day, so 'sunny 16' should have given a good exposure, and the reported 1/1250s at f/4.5 is equivalent to 1/100s at f/16. But with -5 EC ???
It also shows Manual mode. Exposure compensation in M mode applies a bias to the meter, you are free to ignore it and set whatever shutter, aperture, and iso you like.
12-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It also shows Manual mode. Exposure compensation in M mode applies a bias to the meter, you are free to ignore it and set whatever shutter, aperture, and iso you like.
Thank you for those interesting points, Brian. It then begs the question - what is the point of applying EC in Manual Mode, when one can simply adjust whichever parameter(s) one desires, to compensate for lighting that might be fooling the meter? Are there scenarios where setting EC in Manual Mode is more useful than applying suitable manual adjustments?
12-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Thank you for those interesting points, Brian. It then begs the question - what is the point of applying EC in Manual Mode, when one can simply adjust whichever parameter(s) one desires, to compensate for lighting that might be fooling the meter? Are there scenarios where setting EC in Manual Mode is more useful than applying suitable manual adjustments?
None whatsoever. It's like daylight saving. It doesn't change the Earth's rotation, only our expectations. Set it so you aim for 0 to get the desired exposure.
12-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Bookkeeping- you might prefer to dial in +1EV then zero the meter as opposed to setting the meter to +1 all day (for example). As you say, there's no real difference in how the camera operates here, but one way or the other might be easier for a given photographer's brain.

The Green Button - in M mode the Green Button will respect the EV compensation.

P-TTL Flash - EV comp. seems to adjust this as well (I've only tested with the pop-up, I've no other P-TTL flash).

Honestly, I never use EV comp in Manual and I wouldn't mind a menu setting to disable it. When I first got my k5iis I spent an afternoon wondering why the heck the meter was always consistently off by over a stop. Then I realized I had accidentally set the EV comp in M mode, which my previous camera didn't allow.
12-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think that setting an EV offset in Manual mode would be somewhat mentally counter-intuitive. It could only be useful in situations where a permanent offset from 0 was needed ..... eg shooting on a snowy mountain in the same consistent light for a period of time. However, there's a lot to be said for keeping a mental reference point at 0, so as to give reassurance that the needed compensation is correct. I think that if I needed to shoot at, say, +1.7 stops, then it would be more helpful for me, even in Manual mode, to be always seeing the meter indication at +1.7, rather than at 0 and having to remember that I've set up the offset.
12-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Several more interesting points there, particularly your final note - thanks again, Brian.