Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2018, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 is the best

I bought my K5 second hand 5yrs ago? Has been faithfully by my side since. Have missed a beat. Just today I've noticed a reason issue with the SR system, it's playing up and giving me random frames, even with SR turned off. Things askew, horizons chopped off or missing completely, great things like that.

Anyway what a servent it's been.

Good on ya K5.

Last edited by tromboads; 01-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.
01-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had two K-5s. I no longer have them (sold them), but for their time they were excellent performers.
01-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The SR system is doing what now? Sounds quite odd.

I've been very happy with my K-5 II that I purchased second hand right at four years ago as well. I feel bad that I haven't been taking it around and actually shooting with it lately. Spring can't get here fast enough!
01-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's like the timing to the SR system and the shutter is off. Despite the camera being still, composing for say a nice horizon edge down the bottom of the image may result in the right corner to be dropped off some 15degrees.

Composing a shot with a bit of vertical tilt is the worst, its further chopping of about 5% of the bottom of the image as it re composes for me..

And this is with a variety of shutter speeds, doesn't seem to change it.

01-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is really strange. It does this even when SR is turned off? Almost sounds like the sensor is loose. btw, I love my K5 as well!
01-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's very odd.

What's your plan going forward from here? Repair seems more costly than replacement with another K-5, never mind a newer body...
01-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well switching the SR system off doesn't lock the sensor down, it just keeps magnetic consistency on the housing right to keep it "centred" right?

But yes it's as if the sensor is floating around somewhat. Shutter is at about 32k to give you some idea of it's firing, but that does only measure one component after all.

And to be totally transparent. It was purchased second hand knowing that the SR system got stuck off some times. That is you would give it a tap once in a while (every other week) to have it moving around again correctly, the SR light used to stay crossed out. So, I knew it was dicky 5 years ago, and I'ts only just now that it has turned into a problem.

So good stuff pentax

And yes Suppose I'll go shopping for a K5II :P

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-04-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Words
01-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Well switching the SR system off doesn't lock the sensor down, it just keeps magnetic consistency on the housing right to keep it "centred" right?

But yes it's as if the sensor is floating around somewhat. Shutter is at about 32k to give you some idea of it's firing, but that does only measure one component after all.

And to be totally transparent. It was purchased second hand knowing that the SR system got stuck off some times. That is you would give it a tap once in a while (every other week) to have it moving around again correctly, the SR light used to stay crossed out. So, I knew it was dicky 5 years ago, and I'ts only just know that it has turned into a problem.

So good stuff pentax

And yes Suppose I'll go shopping for a K5II :P
You may as well step up a model or two to get the best out of your existing lenses. K-70, K-3II, or a KP would be the way to go. There are many available at good prices new and even better prices here on the forums. Good luck.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-04-2018 at 08:47 PM.
01-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may wish to check that you haven't accidentally enabled "Composition Adjustment" in your K-5.
01-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just upgrade if you can.The K5 was/has been a true work-horse all these years. The old girl is getting little long on the tooth unfortunately.
01-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It truthfully has been a good little thing.

I'm actually holidaying in New Zealand at the moment, it has been out in the rain, salt, sun as it always has been, and it's been wonderful. I still smile when I see $$$$$ Can-ikon owners reach for their waterproof housings at the first grimace of a shower.

I'll have a look at the comp adjustment, the fault seems to inconsistent with orientation. Sometimes it's 15 degrees over to the left, sometimes the right, sometimes the bottom part of the image is cut, not always on the horizon. I seem to be able to replicate he error consistently with the camera tilted about 20 degrees upward however. Then testing with SR on or off proved the same randomness with results. But as I've hinted at It was known to be troublesome when i bought it, and occasionally, once a month or there about's it would need a gentle pat to active the SR system. So 5 years later, it's finally getting to the point where i may have to do something about it. That be a fair innings really

Now decisions decisions.

P.S.
New Zealand is just spectacular. We flew into Christchurch ad took the train over the hill to the west coast, and have then been travelling down it, into Queenstown, and now heading west to Milford Sounds. The entire place is crazy pretty.

I took the usual lenses (DA16-50, DA50-135, M35) and thought I'd be mashing between the two DA's. Turns out the M35 has recorded 99% of the adventure. It was at the point where I was trying to use the other DA's and it was silly. The extra weight really does make a difference. By day 3 the DA's stayed at the Hotel and I was much happier for it. Ah but it's always the case, and this account will be read and you too will take all your lenses next holiday because.. what if :P

VIV LA PENTAX

Last edited by tromboads; 01-11-2018 at 10:15 PM.
01-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
K5 is the best I bought my K5 second hand 5yrs ago? Has been faithfully by my side since. Have missed a beat. Just today I've noticed a reason issue with the SR system, it's playing up and giving me random frames, even with SR turned off. Things askew, horizons chopped off or missing completely, great things like that. Anyway what a servent it's been. Good on ya K5.
If you would like a direct replacement I have a friend with a ,very good condition low shutter count minus batteries and charger, K5 that he has attempted to sell and is now looking to give away.
PM me when you get back to Melbourne and I can put you in contact with him.

Glenn
01-13-2018, 02:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Glenn!

Your offer is very much appreciated. I've actually flown the coup and moved interstate (partner got a job in Sydney) but perhaps I still might be able to provide a loving home to this K5.

I haven't checked, but I suppose batteries and focus screens are different for the K3? I'm very happy with the K5, I was half keeping an eye out for a IIs, but can get over it for the images I chase

Speaking of chasing images, New Zealand is really really that pretty. You can't even do the dishes without being reminded at how lovely it is.

https://imgur.com/fN4We0N.jpg

---------- Post added 01-13-18 at 08:43 PM ----------

This is just outside the Homer Tunnel heading toward Milford Sound (Which is not actually a Sound but a Fjord, Sounds are formed by rain water cutting a V whilst Fjords are formed by Glaciers, well by frozen rivers picking up rocks and grinding them on the way to the ocean).

Anyway, the indigenous people called it Piopiotahi (translated to meaning "one bird"), thats probably a better name anyway.

Yes the place is incredible.

https://imgur.com/HA6hf9b.jpg
01-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
#Edit, oh just in case i'm confusing others with doubt, the K5 batteries do fit the K3.

But anyway, Since I'm still in NZ. River rocks and trees of course.

https://imgur.com/fc38M0E.jpg
01-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Wonder if a reset will bring things back ?