Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
But anyway, Since I'm still in NZ. River rocks and trees of course.
Enjoy in spite of the camera problems. Fantastic place, hope I can return one day.

01-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah I gave that ago. I'm not getting an error in the system as it where. I mean, I don't think the software knows whats gong on / has no way to measure it.

It is an odd on, and in many ways I think I'd rather a "IT IS BROKEN" msg to flash once and a while so I know I'm just not going mad. But Alas.

It still might be a handy body for when I find myself in a mosh pit at a rock concert and framing isn't so critical. Ah! another post, another image is the rule! I'm now on a mission to bring everyone to NZ at least once. :P

Have an overexposed sky, Suppose you'd better visit the Kepler track and take a better photo yourself

https://imgur.com/9r0vHbF.jpg
01-14-2018, 10:53 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Spent a day walking the Key Summit trail (out near Milford Sound) Beautiful 6km~ walk up a hill to get wonderful views.

At the car park there I was with the DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, and with the M35 f2.8 once more. After a bit of camera roulette, and packing the bag a couple of times whilst the misses was wearing sunscreen, I ended up once again, like I have all holiday, leaving the DA's in the car, attaching the M35 to the ye old K5, throw a polarising filter in the pocket and done.

And it was perfect. There really wasn't a vista where the 35mm wasn't wide enough. And forget about fast glass. The thing was set to f8, and its hyper-focal distance (4.5m, giving me Infinity down to 3m) all day. I merely adjusted the shutter a stop of two depending on what the clouds where doing.

It was a wonderful reminder that despite all the excitement and all the features we crave and carry on about, when it comes down to waking up a hill, less is more, and more then suitable.

The thing swang around my neck all day hitting trees, rocks, getting covered in dust, I might have been more careful with a DA* attached, the M35 gave me that freedom to just enjoy it. And the manual focus glass was just that little bit easy to focus since it was living at f8 all day. I was confident shooting my partner in front of me form the hip knowing it was going to capture the distance necessary.

Anyway I really enjoyed my walk up the hill with the faulting K5 (there are still a load of frames where the sensor seems to have been dancing around, but enough of the nice stuff to keep me happy) and the 80's M35 f2.8, and that's the point I suppose.

01-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And I know it is silly to make comment about lenses and gear, cause heck. different shovels for different holes right?

Anyway, NZ is spectacular.

01-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

different shovels for different holes right?
Haven't heard it said like that before. I have to agree entirely, though. How true. Nice photos, by the way. I also toy with the one camera/one fixed lens idea, especially for hiking and general travel, but have not been brave enough to actually do that yet. I used to do it, you know, back in the day. Pentax ME and 50 mm f/1.4 and I was quite happy.

I have a K-5 and I believe I'm supposed to upgrade, but I'm not getting the new camera urge. Sorry about that. K-5 is a great camera, still.
02-03-2018, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well finally had some time to sit down and look at some of the images properly, even without SR being weird it was fine.

Again most of these with the M35 f2.8.

The view from the plains outside of Te Anau
Click for driveway!
Click for storm coming

Toward, and on Milford Sound
Click for waterfall
Click for where you would like to be on a bicycle
Click for the view toward the Homer tunnel, that takes out back up and out of the mountain.

You would think one would get over looking at mountains, not so. Small climbs have you looking at peeks as if you where dropped from a helicopter.
Click for, yep a mountain

One could spend months looking at the changes in shape and texture.
Click for black

Can't wait to go back.

Go to New Zealand.
02-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I bought my K5 second hand 5yrs ago
That is exactly when I got my K-5 second hand. I've enjoyed it all this time since.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
but for their time they were excellent performers
Mine performs just as well now as when I got it. It is hard to justify a change when it does everything that I need it to do, it is reliable, I enjoy using it, and the photos look great.

02-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, pretty much what Glenn said.

I had another funny issue tonight however, it would not fire my radio triggered flashes without the on-board flash itself being ejected and firing. :S Never had such an issue prior, and I only stumbled upon the solution in desperation looking for another light source.

He.